1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions

Discussion in 'Military' started by Anthony999, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jul 12, 2009 at 1:04 AM
    Anthony999

Anthony999 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    MB Seven X Wheels, Hankook Optima Tires, Billet Grille, Blacked out headlights tailights and third brake light, LEER 700 Series tonneau cover, Blacked out emblems, Wolo air horn, Sony Xplod stereo, 8" Bazooka subwoofer, painted to match bumpers, leather arm rests.
    So Im starting my first semester of college next semester, and I have also been thinking about the armed forces for awhile. But that wouldnt be until after I got my degree.

If and when the time comes, which branch would be the best to join?

My best friend is going to maybe enlist next week so im going to go with him and check it out. His brother recently finished Maine boot camp, but the Marines just isnt for me. And having friends come back from the Army, neither is Army.

2. Jul 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    Stay in college and if you really want to join the military join a ROTC program and then go be an Officer in what ever branch you decide (Marine Corps)

3. Jul 12, 2009 at 2:55 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Like imsikotic said, stay in school and go check out the ROTC program. Not only do you go in as an officer but an ROTC scholarship will pay for your school.

You can find information about ROTC online

4. Jul 12, 2009 at 3:51 AM
    kmann6905

kmann6905 Active Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    I chose the Air Force like my father did and never regretted it. On the other hand, my father had recommended the Coast Guard to me, and that is an excellent choice as well. In either case, finish you schooling first!

5. Jul 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    If you're smart, you'll join the AF... :thumbsup:

6. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Since you've ruled out the Army and Marine's that leaves you with just the Caost Guard, Air Force and Navy......I would say if serving on a ship is cool, then you have 2 choices, and if not, then the AF would be the way to go...You have to decide what you want to do in the military before picking which service to go into....

7. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Don't short sell the Coast Guard only being about ships....There are about 42,000 people in the- about 10000 of those are involved in Aviation, Lots more do law enforcement or shore side search and rescue.

There are lots of options. Finishing school is the best way to open the most of them.

If you've got specific questions about the Coast Guard- Feel free to PM me.

8. Jul 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    + another one for CG.

I work and fly on Falcon 20's here. Been in the newspaper a few times for cases, tv articles, etc. Can't beat the comaraderie either. Brunes took the high route, and in a few months I'll probably have to be taking orders from him as he tries to shoot an approach with a 75knot tailwind while towers calling 3kts down the pipe while his ICS goes dead.... Oh I love Cape Cod, never a dull flying moment

9. Jul 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Fuck that noise- There will be no ordering anything- Just good solid CG CRM.

and there will be no shooting high wind approaches either. Not if this Helo bubba can avoid it!! Shoot a few VFR for training...that's about it...LOL.

Kidding- I'm qualified for it- I'll do it if need be. New Orleans is my next stop I think...so hopefully I can avoid the bad winds!!

10. Jul 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    True that, thank god for CRM. That's a true story though, on an LT's checkride haha, we didn't break out till about 200 feet, and the CP/IP was 'unconscious and presumed dead'. VERY hairy, that man has all my respect today though. Very good pilot.

11. Jul 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    Anthony999

Anthony999 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    MB Seven X Wheels, Hankook Optima Tires, Billet Grille, Blacked out headlights tailights and third brake light, LEER 700 Series tonneau cover, Blacked out emblems, Wolo air horn, Sony Xplod stereo, 8" Bazooka subwoofer, painted to match bumpers, leather arm rests.
    Getting my degree is my first priority over anything, so im staying in school for sure.

Im going to be getting a degree in Architecture or engineering. Right now my major is Architecture, but who knows, it could change.

12. Jul 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    This doesn't ring true for everyone- But major doesn't matter much for the first few years unless you sign specifically for it. I'm a electrical engineer by major- and haven't touched a thing to do with engineering since before graduation.

Products Discussed in

To Top