1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ordered 2013 SR5-what to steal off my TRD OR B4 trade in?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Checkvalve, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    Checkvalve

Checkvalve [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Spruce
    Like the title says, have a 2013 SR5 coming in the next two months or so. I won't bother trying to remove the elocker unit, I'll just go ARB on this truck, but, what else should I snag before I trade in the TRD OR? It is an 08. I was thinking about the inverter and switch, that should be plug and play right? Anything else anyone can think of?

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    yes, the inverter will be plug and play, theres a how to thread somewhere on here.

swap the trd seats into the new truck when you get it?

3. Jan 7, 2013 at 3:17 AM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    The new SR5 seats are very good, anyways.

I tested out a few used Tacomas, and there was definitely a difference between the seats in the older SR5's and TRD's (05-11).

I tried out the SR5 and TRD seats in the 12-13's though, and aside from a SLIGHT difference in the fabrics, and some minor details in the way the foam is cut, I couldn't tell.

4. Jan 7, 2013 at 3:19 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    rear axle, e locker components, and shocks.

5. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Checkvalve

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Spruce
    New truck will be spruce mica with sand interior, so my grey seats won't swap. Where is the inverter in the truck, under the seat? Anyone done this swap before? I assume the SR5 will have all the wiring, I'll just need the switch, the inveter, and the plug right?

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I don't know about doing the swap but the inverter is under the console storage. Just pop off the shifter surround & there's 2 Phillips screws then pull the carpet out of the bottom of the storage & there's 2 10 mm bolts the just pull straight up.

Oh And spruce mica is a good choice

7. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Checkvalve

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Spruce
    Thanks. That should help me figure it out. I guess if the wiring isn't there on the new SR5, I could always sell it to someone on here.
    As for the color, I think it is awesome. I can't wait for it to show up. Had to order it because the combo with sand (tan) is rare. My TRD OR now is dark blue, which I think is the next best color. Couldn't stand the six speed anymore or the 5 foot bed for camping. So have to make an SR5 into a off road machine on my own.

Thinking about accessories like bottle jack and stuff...any reason to have an extra one around? Also was thinking two extra tie down things for the bed rails would be nice. Any other ideas?

8. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    um, what about the next guy to own the truck?

Do you not think they might NEED the jack? What are you gonna do with the big hole left in the bed from the missing inverter?

Why screw the next guy over on things that should come with the vehicle?

Think of others, not just yourself!

Good luck explaining why its stripped when you sell/trade...

Would you buy something in the condition you are proposing to leave this truck in? Speaks to the society we live in today....its all me me me, f you.

Aftetmarket items are one thing, but stripping oem parts is just wrong...kinda like putting TRD stickers on an Sr5 and than selling it as a TRD at a premium.

9. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Sparky73

Sparky73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4
    Famous Fabrication Sliders, Duratracs, Painted Grill, BHLM, Devil's Horns Emblem, Derp'd Badges, Wet Okole Covers
    +1!!!

OP, Why strip an OR of OEM gear? If you didn't add it, don't pull it. Pull that inverter and I'll put $$$ down that the dealer outright refuses your trade in. If not, they will cut thousands of dollars off its value because it doesn't have the standard model's equipment and you did a hackjob stripping it. Is that worth a $150 inverter???

Please post back after your trade in experience. I'd like to hear how it goes.

10. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I had never heard of someone stripping a perfectly good truck to trade in without the normal OEM components until now. Not saying it is wrong, but is it worth the trouble of having extra OEM crap sitting around to rot? I'd imagine the dealership would really nag you about that when you go to trade it in, as in lowball you on every little thing you pulled off.

To me unless whatever dealer you take it in to is willing to replace all the stuff you stripped out, they probably wouldn't accept the trade. Or give you a crap offer which it would deserve. TO them it probably isn't worth the trouble when some customer comes in and says, well where the hell is all the TRD features? and the dealer has to say "well the PO tore everything out".

11. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    So you think you can pull the diff apart/ remove the suspension components then just trade it in for full value? I don't follow.

I think when they see it roll in on a flat bed they will realize what has been done.

12. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    X2 on not giving the dealer reasons to devalue the trade-in appraisal.

Aftermarket inverter is cheap.
    OEM bottle jack is crap.
    Floormat hooks are in different places.
    Bed cleats - maybe
    Fuel tank straps - maybe

Damn, pre-2009 Off Road package was a poorer value. No ATRAC, no flux capacitor subwoofer. :D

13. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    X2

Why are you trading in the 08 on a 13? Just curious, I just got my 08 the way I like it after 4 1/2 years. :)

14. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    Checkvalve

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Spruce
    Wow. you guys jump to a lot of conclusions. Meh. Doesn't bother me. I get what I want in life by thinking ahead and going for it when I should and I've gotten far that way. PS I have done this on my last three trades for my BMWs and sold it all for a profit. Just a heads up, this is what EVERY used car dealer in the country does when they buy cars at auction. If you think that buying a car at a dealer means you must deliver them the same car they sold to you, maybe your efforts are spent looking for savings in other areas. This is one of many areas I choose to look for savings. The impact to my trade in value is negligible. It is already negotiated and done. They try to lower my trade, I make them lower the sales price. But none of that is necessary, trust me this is how I do it all the time. It isn't as big a deal as you think. They'd rather make the sale and put in a couple parts then let it all fall apart over what are a couple hundred dollars to them. As for why I'm trading in the 08, I hate the six speed, and I want a six foot bed to lie down in when camping. Also that color combo speaks to me...

Anyway, I've decided to take the following items off my truck before trade in:
    1. Inverter system
    2. Hitch cover plug
    3. Rear floor mat thing from walmart that covers all back floor area
    4. A few clips and screws under the hood that are doubled up but will come in handy if I need them sometime on the new truck for some reason.
    5. Two of the tie down cleats
    6. My bike holder for the bed rail system
    7. Lighting kit for the ARB bumper if it will swap to the new style, still researching
    8. LED interior lights

Okay going back to lurking mode now, too much typing for me

15. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    Checkvalve

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Spruce
    PS I never said anything about taking any suspension or diff parts out. I'm doing a lift on the new truck, and I'm pretty sure the first post said I was doing arb instead of an e locker. This might be the least favorite thread I ever started lol.

16. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
  17. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Hopefully the next potential owner spots all the missing stuff before they buy it! I know I wouldn't be happy about missing hood components or inverters.......

18. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    Checkvalve

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Spruce
    I'll finish up this thread with the details from today's trade in. Called ahead and told the salesman that I had removed the inverter. He understood completely, since I had been trying to buy a sport or an offroad anyway but Toyota WONT sell one in green with tan interior. He checked with his manager and said no sweat, and in fact was more worried that I might remove the ARB bumper, because apparently they sell fast if they already have those bumpers on. I also told him about swapping the dome lights back and removing the hitch cover. Happy that I was "up front" with him, he pulled up to the front, opened the door and said check it out, we put in those all weather mats for you. Enjoy, and tell all your buddies about us. So basically, I got the truck I wanted, although a bit watered down from an off road but not much, I got the trade price I wanted, I kept the parts I wanted, the dealer was happy, and I was happy. End of story.

In case you guys forgot, not everyone knows everything about these trucks when they first join the forum. Yes, I asked if I should keep a bottle jack. I must have missed it somewhere along the way that it is a POS. Seemed like a fine jack to me, so I asked. As for you DoorDing, read the damn thread. I never suggested I wanted to swap my seats, some other guy did.

For everyone who posted negatively in this forum, I'll leave you with a thought. In all my years on auto forums, which amounts to over 13, I have never had a worse experience when asking forum members for their thoughts and assistance. When it comes down to it, I am left with the feeling that I just posted on a Honda forum with a group of teenagers responding. I think that from now on, I will stick to the quality forums where people are willing to contribute and help or to guide, not put down and talk as if the OP isn't "in the room" with you. I'm disgusted; hopefully you are satisfied with your efforts. Adios, I'm going to go install my seatcovers in my new ride.

19. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    man...don't be offended. as one who has been on forums for 13 years...you should have thick enough skin.

I didn't previously post in this thread. although I may agree with some opinions here. what did you expect with this thread title?

you pretty much admitted fault in your position from the jump with the word steal.

anyway...enjoy your new truck and post up some pics. :thumbsup:

20. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Bye

Products Discussed in

To Top