1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ordered Ranch Icon cap for DCLB thoughts? UPDATED: photos

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Waterdogutah, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Jul 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    Waterdogutah

Waterdogutah [OP] Member

Member:
    Just ordered a Ranch Icon cap for my 2019 off road long bed. Any thoughts?

Was considering ARE Z and Leer XQ Ruled out ARE because dealer said 9 weeks out. Leer 4- and Ranch 4-5 Hoping to have it for end of September,

2. Jul 29, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    NV_Spencer

NV_Spencer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CREWMAX / 2017 OR DCSB
    Probably a good decision. My local shop sells both ARE & Leer & the sales guy told me straight up "do not buy ARE. They are having serious quality issues which is why their lead times are so long."
    I wanted to buy the Ranch Fusion but there are no dealers in my state.

3. Jul 29, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    Waterdogutah

Waterdogutah [OP] Member

Member:
    I didnt find much info on Tacomas with Ranch toppers. ARE Z was one I liked but lucky they were to far out. Your local dealer might be right, YouTube videos were not friendly with ARE reviews. Made me think I made a good decision but time will tell. Hurry up and wait.

4. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:03 PM
    Nverenf

Nverenf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement
    I had the choice to order ARE, Leer or Ranch.

Friend of mine has an ARE top on his 2nd gen and it has held up well over the years. I'm guessing his was made before the quality issues.

I personally liked the looks of the Leer XR100. The Leer XR100 and Ranch Fusion are very similar but the Ranch was priced cheaper. Ranch looks like a quality top. After looking at pictures of @jrlin718 truck with his Ranch Fusion, I felt better about ordering one.

I ordered a Ranch about a month ago. Should be in production at the moment. Hoping to have it installed in the next week or two. I'll post pics when I do.

5. Jul 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM
    Waterdogutah

Waterdogutah [OP] Member

Member:
    I ordered the Icon from Ranch. Frameless side windows. I'm hoping that was not a mistake after placing the order, I'm told all those frameless windows all leak. Problem on Leer ARE and Ranch. That with the gen 3 Tacoma beds being hard to get a good bed seal. I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision. Second guessing the Frameless choice.

6. Jul 31, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    Nverenf

Nverenf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement
    Yikes! I didn't realize the frameless windows had problems. Assuming they start leaking after a period of time? After warranty expires? I would've thought that they would be less prone to leaking compared to the other options. I ordered windoors for the sides but the rear glass on the Fusion is frameless.
    (fingers crossed)
    I am aware that the tacoma doesn't seal up well. I have a short bed and don't plan on sleeping in the bed unless it's an emergency situation but would like to keep things as dry as possible. I ordered some butyl tape to go under the bed caps and front rail. Also, plan on using a healthy dose of it in the front corners. I'm hoping the bulb seal will take care of the rest.

7. Aug 27, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    Waterdogutah

Waterdogutah [OP] Member

Member:
    My Ranch Icon Cap arrived 4 weeks to date of order. Gets installed next wed. Now to figure out best approach to sealing up the bed rails under the cap and front rail. Watched a few youtube vids and read reviews on the matter. Other then silicone in corners I'm considering window tape seal across the front rail and under bed caps like a drip edge. Like rain and ice guard on a roof. Or wonder if that flexseal tape would work well. Anyone use anything with good results? will post pictures when I get it together next week.

8. Aug 28, 2023 at 3:31 PM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    How are you guys liking your ranch toppers?

Products Discussed in

To Top