1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ordering a 2012 tacoma TRD with entune

Discussion in 'New Members' started by rocksta01, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Pens87C

Pens87C New Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 Extra Cab Long Bed TRD
    I have ordered the same truck (extra cab, long bed, TRD) with entune in Pyrite Mica. It's scheduled to come in at the end of April. I am truly excited !

Saw some discussion about the chrome wheels and powder. What needs done here ? Is that something the dealer can do ? And how do I maintain them ?

Also, looking to get a body color bed cover with hinges for the back of the truck. Any reccomendations for the Tampa, FL area on who to go to ? And any idea on the best brand to get ?:)

2. Mar 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota TRD with entune
    LED dome, map and plate light, Bug visor, N-Fab (smittybuilt) nerf bars, Leer cap, custom carpet kit
    Nothing you can do about the chrome clad rims other than buy new ones. Im just going to run them for a season or 2 then buy new ones at a later date. They have grown on me a bit.

I just ordered a leer cap model 180 Mid Rise with LED brake, dome and headliner for under $1500.00 (no tax here or FL). Its my second leer and it should arrive in a week.

I also just ordered the smittybuilt/nfab nurf bars because I have a kid http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-T0678CC-Black-Powdercoat-Steps/dp/B003EOG0PI

Since you are in FL I would recommend the AVS bug shield too
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/211111-2012-tacoma-bug-deflector-pics-avs.html

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    CBrva

CBrva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glen Allen, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCLB 4x4
    Toytec Boss, LR UCAs, Dakars, FN f(x)pro wheels, ko2
  4. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    LED dome, map and plate light, Bug visor, N-Fab (smittybuilt) nerf bars, Leer cap, custom carpet kit
    ask and you shall receive. Took about 10 minutes to install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Apr 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Finally the cap arrives and my wallet can begin to grow again.[​IMG]

6. Apr 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    nate08

nate08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Nate's '12 SR5
    Mine came with the Entune, but I can't use it my iPhone wont update to 4.3. Way to go iPhone.

7. Apr 13, 2012 at 5:57 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    i have a pyrite DCLB TRD sport too. I don't even use the entune apps, just the bluetooth and nav. you're not really missing anything.

8. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed SR5 w/nav
    I bought a tundra crewmax last summer and now I'm trying to sell it. I haven't been able to find a truck just like yours in the arkansas region inventory. I like magnetic gray, but green is ideal. I can find 2WD DCLB prerunner green, but not 4x4.

Anyway the truck looks great, and when the time comes I'm going to buy a camper shell for it too. You are living the life I want to live. I am a stay at home dad, so my wife and I thought the crew max for sure, but now I realize that my kid can worry about his leg room when he's an adult. Silly as this may sound, I want to continue with my outdoor ventures, but I don't want to share anymore memories with my tundra. So I'm freezing my outdoor life until I get my precious.

9. May 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    I actually returned the camper shell and had to get them to repair and buy me new bed rails. It was a brand new truck and cap and the install was terrible. The bed rails were getting scratched all over the place and the cap was digging into the rails on the back and front. The window was so bad that I could stick my finger into the truck when the window was closed. It was a complete hack job done by capworld. The screens even came with a rip in them and the screws around the windows were all over torqued to the point they were eating into the metal frame too.

I called another dealer 30 miles away who said it was terribly done and he will get a new one for me. I was amazingly p!ssed about it. Lets see how the new cap looks next week when installed.

Here are pics of the hack job. http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/246828/cat/500/ppuser/73345

10. May 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah man that looks bad, glad you are getting it fixed from toyota. My wife finally approved me trading the tundra in, and my tacoma is in route. They had trouble finding what I wanted, but I didn't want to settle for what was on the lot. I had it down to DCLB TRD Sport, or DCLB SR5, both with entune. They found a TRD in mesquite Texas, but the dealership never responded to them and that TRD actually had 16" wheels(i liked). But I had a change of heart and pushed for the SR5 Double Cab, and it also had 16" wheels.

My reasons for the change were, the 2k less, and the standard seats. I kind of wanted the hood scoop and the shocks, but my wife said she liked the smooth hood better, and since I'm a stay at home Dad with her bringing home the bacon, I chose to go SR5. I am an outdoor enthusiast, and this will be my first 4x4. Some might question why a 30 year old "enthusiast" just now gets his 4x4, but prior to now my legs carried me most of the way. I have a bum leg now, and it will never get better, so driving on old logging roads and sleeping in the bed of my truck are the first things on my list to do. Say goodbye to walking and hello to driving, it's time this guy got a 4x4.

One more thing; I wanted green slightly more then gray, but I went for the gray(like my tundra) because I was impressed by how well my tundra hides dirt. I've had green and it's a little harder to keep color. I'm not bashing your truck at all, green is my favorite, but green just wasn't an option unless I special ordered mine from the factory. And despite getting the approval from the wife, offers don't always stay on the table.

11. May 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    actually toyota isnt fixing it but a another leer dealer is. I wouldnt get the cap through toyota as they wanted to go to the hack cap dealer I went to.

Enjoy the truck camping. Its a great time and much less stressful especially with a family.

12. May 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I've been looking into soft cap, hard cap, truck tent, build my own teardrop, build a box with a window unit. And after all that I've come to the cheapest solution(important because the wife is letting me get entune tacoma): Guide Gear truck tent, a big square canopy to go over my truck and tent in bed of truck, and I made a couple swamp coolers for AC. I got a couple computer fans sitting around the house and cut out the lid, all you do is put ice in the cooler and hook the 12v fan to a battery. Blows out a different hole and I spliced two of my scrip bottles together. Got plenty of prescription bottles since I have chronic pain, and it just seemed like a waist to throw away all that good plastic, haha! I'll link a picture of cooler and you can make one for yourself, it would cool that camper shell great. What I read on camper shell was the same for truck tents, park your truck under a canopy and then cool it off with window unit or swamp cooler.

13. May 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
  14. May 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I made these with stuff I already had at the house. Makes money sense since generators are expensive and if not expensive they are bulky. On top of that an AC unit is bulky. So if you are planning a one night stay in your truck, a cooler full of ice will keep your comfortable at least.2012-05-07 11.37.10.jpg

2012-05-07 10.45.04.jpg

2012-05-06 16.37.19.jpg

15. May 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Dude, I am loving that carpet idea. That is so cool! I was planning on doing a slat type setup using the available 1x6 slots in the bed, but that is way better. Thanks for the link on that. Take it easy. I just put YETI on there because there is no way I will have the approval to buy one of those.

16. May 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Are you able to see the pictures?

17. May 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    rocksta01

rocksta01 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    yup. looks like a good idea. Helps me try to figure out some things about what I want to do I would love to get a backup battery for my truck like an RV battery.

18. May 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    Shalako

Shalako Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Man back in 1999 I went to California Maritime Academy and during that year I went with 3 other guys on a trip from Vallejo, CA to Ridgefield, WA in the back of a single cab ford ranger that had one of those carpet kits. One of the guys was from ridgefield(or somewhere close) and after visiting his family we went snowboarding at Mt. Hood.

So the point is that you can pack alot of gear and people with that addition to your truck. I've always thought that was a homemade job, but after seeing that picture, it is apparent that these setups are popular in southern California. And that is where the driver was from. I guess it hasn't caught on in Arkansas, and that doesn't surprise me.

I came home after 2 semesters with a 1.61 gpa. Needless to say, but I did lose my scholarship. Crazy to think that people go to college without vehicles but it happens. Shawn, Lester, if you guys are out there, here's a big hello from Arkansas.

19. May 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    Nice choice in vehicles.

:)

20. May 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Alienalt

Alienalt New Member

Member:
    I just picked up a 2012 Silver TRD Sport Upgrade myself, and though the wheels are not true chrome, they clean well and they don't look like horrible wal mart car dept hubcaps, lol. They are real wheels meant to last, just look around at all the people driving around with pitted nasty chrome that they didn't keep up with, though they are not "Pure Chrome" they really get some looks, but I am not a country guy, though I go upstate NY and VT enough, lol. They have a nice look all cleaned up with some good wheel shine gel :)

I hated chrome when I used to do up street cars, the Tacoma is just sweet, IMO. :) GL to ya I hope we will still like the wheels when they look perfect in years to come.

Cya

Products Discussed in

To Top