1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oregon Apartment Complex Bans Flying the American Flag

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Packman73, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    whether you agree with teh policy or not, it is still incredibly stupid. here's why. i've never flown a flag while living in an appartment (although i do fly an American flag at the house now). But if i were living in an apartment and i heard this policy, i would go out and buy 8 of them and mount each one on my balcony that very day. i have a feeling alot of residents did something similar. so by implementing this policy, it seems obvious (at least to me) taht you will be getting the opposite of the desired effect.

how could you think you could impliment that policy and NOT have people immediately defy it?

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    if they're offended then gtfo this country

dumbasses

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    :proposetoast: bob has spoken, close her up

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Refer to my post above. I don't think it has to do with being offended and in fact I don't think originally the rule was directed towards the American flag specifically. Albany can be pretty trashy and I would bet that the apartment complex wanted to curb the usage of the sports flags, etc. on cars. The apartment management I would assume probably thought since they banned sports flags and the like that they had to include the American flag as well. Unfortunately, they made the wrong decision.

Albany is as American as any town in the U.S. The population is made up of mostly people who have lived the majority of their lives in this one town. Nobody moves to Albany unless there is a reason. I had family that had lived there for many years. There just isn't a whole lot of industry to pull in outsiders.

The article that was posted as are most articles only zoned in on a small portion of the truth.

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
  6. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    once again, discrimination. if someone of canadian or english or mexican descent had their countries flag displayed and were consequently dismissed or fired or sent home because of it, it would be a clear cut case of discrimination. i'd sue the shit out of anyone that tried to fire me because of something like that

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    X11111111111111111111

X2

I guess the rights of US citizens don't mean squat anymore. That is so wrong on so many levels. How many people have DIED defending that flag?? Tar and feather that guy and run his unpatriotic rear end out of town.

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I used to get all upset over stuff like this but I figured out that you have to go right to the source and tell the person who you are and what you stand for. If they don't like it then it is a free country and they are free to leave.

I followed all of the links in the whole story that was originally posted and found the name, address, and phone number of the apartement manager and owner. I sent them a a case of the flags that we take to Iraq to drape the coffins with, along with the names of the 46 soldiers that were killed from my last deployment. I just wrote a short note that said the soldiers who are listed below would really appreciate it if you would fly these flags for them.

You have to take things to the persons heart and hit them where it hurts. I didn't cost me anything and I feel alot better for it. I am also thinking about doing the same thing to the Fire Department that seceretsquirrel posted.

9. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    This is ridiculous, how can anyone ban to fly your country flag in your own country!!, its just plain stupid!! :mad:

Here in Mexico we have certain rules pertaining the use of the national symbols, which are

the national anthem, which can only be sung as the original score indicates, and the words cant be changed....

pertaining the flag its illegal to use it without authorization, that is you cant go and put the flag on underwear or a cap....

and the national emblem, which is the emblem on the center of the flag and has the same rules as the flag, it has to be displayed as a whole...

not a lot to do with the thread, but just wanted to share.... hope you guys dont mind.... :eek:

10. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I'll donate a few bucks to help with postage.

11. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    :proposetoast:

12. Oct 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    jeremiekc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    Thanks for the offers but it doesn't cost me anything for the shipping or the flags. Working in supply and knowing people in the mail room does have its advantages every now and then.

Soap Box (sorry)!!

The thing that I hate most is when people bring discredit upon the flag and the US Constitution and all that they stand for. It has nothing to do with the man that sits in the White House or what I believe in politically it has to do with all that we as Americans have endured over the last 233 years or so. I wear the flag on my right sleeve everyday and I take pride in that. I have 6 combat tours that span from Desert Storm to Somalia to Afganistan and Iraq and like hell am I going to let anyone take the pride that I get from wearing my uniform and my flag away from me.

I say if you dont like it here then it is a free country and you are free to leave.

There I am off of my soap box now..

13. Oct 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    :bowdown: It's people like you that still makes this the greatest country in the world. Even with our problems and disagreements we will endure. Thankyou for your service.

14. Oct 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    jeremiekc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    Thank You!

15. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    WOW!:eek:

Must be Nazis, Communists or something... wish I knew which apts they were, i would pepper that place with the good old red, white and blue!!:D

16. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
  17. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    You spoke my mind, couldn't have said it better myself. :)
    Thank you for your service SS! :bowdown: :)

18. Oct 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Score one for the good guys. :cool:

19. Oct 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    :woot:

Good to hear!

Products Discussed in

To Top