1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Otis24's Otisbound Outdoors Bodonkadonk Supercharged Twin Locked Micro Camper Build (OOBSTLMC)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by otis24, May 2, 2015.

1. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:39 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    Are you still using a flooded lead acid battery? you can desulfate it if you have a lot of time. It takes about a month for a dumb charger to do that. :D

*cough* I have a group 31 Odyssey for sale. *cough* :spending:

We run the enginaire or the donaldson ones, we don't get the big stuff anymore, but there's still plenty of fine dust. At camp we'd be blowing filters for days w/ the compressors

2. Oct 25, 2020 at 11:02 PM
    otis24

otis24 [OP] Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Nah, I have an optima red top. it’s still under warranty...I think.

I used the compressor the next day and worked way better than banging it on the tire.

kalieaire[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2020 at 6:07 PM
    Bigal90

Bigal90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 XCab 3.4 Manual 4x4 SR5
    Glad to hear! How have you been liking the supercharger? I’ve been considering it but have been a little worried about reliability on long remote trips. Did you have to do anything else? 7th injector?

4. Oct 28, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Reliability in remote places was a concern for me as well soo I brought along everything to return the truck back to stock of need be.

So far I’m not running anything other than the supercharger. I do get some ping so the 7th injector kit is in the plans.
    Edit- I’m also running cooler spark plugs and 91 octane gas...but that’s minimal.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Bigal90[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 29, 2020 at 3:07 AM
    rob1208

rob1208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DCSB MGM TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    Hey Mark, how are you liking this rear view mirror replacement? highly considering swapping my factory one out for this or something similar.

6. Oct 29, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I like it a lot.
    The field of view is so wide there are no blind spots.
    The clock in 1st gens is in a terrible location so I use the mirror clock.
    My speedo is off so I use the speedo on the mirror often.
    It has a compass which is pretty nice.
    It has a front facing camera that acts as a dash cam along with the rear facing camera.
    Its easy to turn the mirror on and off which is nice for night driving.

At some point I want a camera on the front bumper. I think I can add this by tapping into the cable from the backward facing camera and putting both cameras on a 2 way switch. I had a front facing camera before and loved it.

rob1208[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    rob1208

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    nice. ok i may grab this mirror. when the power is off, does the screen act like a normal mirror (reflects whatever is behind you) or is it just a powered off screen? I'm debating relocating my stock rear facing camera higher up so i can get a better FOV but part of me wants to keep the stock camera where it sits on my swing out because i can clearly see how far i am before I hit something behind me with zero obstructions .. plus my rear view mirror isn't as useful as a video image of whats behind the truck with the drifter and stuff blocking the view out the back.

8. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    It’s just a blank non-reflective screen when it’s off. Well...it’s glass so it reflects a little.
    The mirror has 2 views. One is driving down the road the other is in reverse with guide lines.
    It’s a touch screen so you can adjust the view up and down easily with a finger.

9. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    rob1208

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    sold! I know what product will get purchased from Amazon today but sit on a shelf in the garage for months! lol thanks Mark!

when are we wheeling? supposed to get the truck back from shaffer's later today. I'll be good to go after 500miles (I think that means ill be working from the truck/random parking lots most of next week to hurry the process along)

10. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Nice! Regear?
    If you don’t mind me asking how much? Another thread said like $2500 or something.
    What ratio did you go with?
    I bought a front locker. Just need to have it put in along with new gears.

11. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Installation was pretty easy. I used fuse taps to power it.
    My stock mirror is long gone because of the overhead console I put in. So, I epoxied a ram mount to the windshield and hold the mirror in place with a RAM X mount thing meant for a tablet.

Edit: I have most weekends free at this point for wheeling

12. Oct 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    rob1208

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    4.88 nitro gears front and rear + arb air locker up front. I already had the compressor so it was in the $3500 range plus tax i think (haven't paid in full yet). I think I told you at camp last time I was debating 4.56 vs 4.88 but decided i wanted more of that power off road. I usually cruise on the freeways around 70-75mph so i can live with a little higher rpms.

nice! put it in already! engine wise, I still have
    • an upgraded urd pulley to install on the S/C
    • change out my belts (they're almost ready to be swapped anyways)
    • install an oil catch can (im sure the rear view camera/mirror will live next to this on the shelf haha)
    Hoping to do the break in process pretty quick so I can be ready to head out again.

sweet. come on @Fernando lets go camp.

I already have power running up there to my switches but i'll probably just do the same and use an add a fuse so the power is switched with the key.

otis24[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 29, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Sounds good!
    Yeah, I got quoted $3500 for just forgears and install, no locker.

It looks like the gears, install and locker install plus uber there and back will be $760 cheaper than the place in SCOTTS Valley which is only 8 miles away.

14. Oct 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Lets go. My truck should be done tomorrow! :turtleride:

rob1208[QUOTED] and otis24[OP] like this.
  15. Oct 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    rob1208

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I'm down ... in 500 miles. lol.

Truck is almost done. Since I did custom wiring on my compressor, shaffers needs to spend more time to wire in the front locker.

I REALLY need to pull out all of my electrical this winter and start over. its too damn messy in the engine bay under my bussman box

16. Oct 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    I need to do the same under my hood and cab

Arctic Taco and rob1208[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Oct 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Just encase everything in epoxy.

18. Oct 29, 2020 at 4:06 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Same. I still have that wire that sparked a fire bare in the engine bay. Water is gonna start coming down soon

19. Oct 30, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    Arctic Taco

Arctic Taco Firefly, Serenity Ed. -Arctic Taco, a slow build

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denali Park, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Xtra Cab DLX, 85 Toyota LWB 4x4
    dents and missing bits Gravel garage, hillbilly trained mechanic…
    love the build, great details, ever evolving as they all are.

Nice upgrade, since you are in Cali, a Dorman or other aftermarket handle should be fine. Should you fall on your head and move to cold country, go with OEM. I tried a semi cheap aftermarket handle and it broke one morning just before I was heading over to Montana -10F, a bit of a pain. Lesson learned, have fun out there...

20. Oct 30, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    otis24

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    It’s crazy how cold will do things like that. I lived in New England and upstate NY by Canada before moving here. Never again.

The weather here is Mostly perfect when it’s not on fire.

I see you’re in Denali. That’s some serious scenery. I gotta get up that way some time.

Ive been planning a trip to Anchorage then take a train to Fairbanks and then a small plane to Bettles to watch the Northern Lights. It keeps getting pushed back. It’ll happen eventually.

I’ve been to very state except Alaska, Nebraska and South Dakota.

Arctic Taco[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top