1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ottawa ON?

Discussion in 'Ontario, Canada' started by tombiosis, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
    yeah that flange is looking pretty rough my dude hahaha the pipe doesn't look terrible and might be able to weld but if your looking for a cheap solution I would cut and sleeve it together and even just use some exhaust clamps if welding isn't an option. it would at least buy some time until new exhaust can be purchased. too bad you didn't post up about it a couple months ago dude haha I would have kept my old y pipe from when I did put in my URD Y pipe cuz it was still in great shape.

2. Oct 26, 2018 at 11:32 PM
    Bocsy44

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    not sure dude hahaha there is a Craperie in Stittsville but I haven't tried it myself. they may have pancakes there, but crapes are pretty good, they are like thing fancy pancakes haha

3. Oct 27, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Haven’t had crepes in forever. Good call and thanks for the heads up!

Kemosabe and Bocsy44[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Oct 27, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    Tim, could it just be the "O" ring in the middle there, that's finished? Happened on my CRV after Off-Roading and the part is like $1.80 @ CAPS

Looks like you will be putting new bolts on there.

Good luck

5. Oct 27, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    Steve in Kanata, a restaurant called Zack's is pretty popular for breakfast, (but not cheap). May not have crepes though. They are also downtown on the Market!

https://kanata.zaksdiner.com/menu-2/

Kemosabe and Steves104x4[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Oct 28, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    timbobzimbob

timbobzimbob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB 4x4
    Thanks for all the advice guys, will give that a shot. If all else fails though, what did you think of the URD y pipe erik? I was looking at all the ones from URD, not even that pricey either.. I don't want a rice sound though lol. Did you get the y pipe that keeps the cats? I was considering the one without them, since theyre hopefully getting rid of that drive clean e-test shit

Kemosabe likes this.
  7. Oct 28, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    Kemosabe

Kemosabe Little bitty life

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    URD STS, Spidertrax spacers, AFE Pro dry
  8. Oct 28, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    Bocsy44

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    I got the performance y pipe that reroutes it so there is no low point. no cats, no codes since the sensors are before the y pipe cats anyways. im happy with it, I just wanted it for the reroute cuz that's how I ordered my mobtown skids lol shipping was expensive tho, hey wanted over 200$ to ship the damn thing. luckily I had a local TW member pick it up from them and we met in Binghampton NY, he also brought me my mobtown skids so I didn't have to pay shipping hahaha that's how I got my lift kit also, there was a major express and parts transaction hahaha

9. Oct 29, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    timbobzimbob

timbobzimbob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB 4x4
    yikes! thats awesome that you got the tacomaworld express though :D what does it sound like? a lot different with no cats? thanks man!

Bocsy44[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    Bocsy44

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    I guess its a little more raspy but not really enough to even notice hahaha

timbobzimbob[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 31, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    Little Blue Truck

Little Blue Truck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ottawa-ish
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    The southern Utah trip has been fantastic. The weather has been better than it is at home, I think. No snow at least. The first two weeks of my trip are mostly through the big 5 national parks here, for the benefit of my buddy Kim, who hasn’t been before. Kim has been taking a ton of photos...I need to learn how to upload photos to TW. Seen lots of cool rigs: built Tacomas, 4Runners, Jeeps. It's giving my little blue truck an inferiority complex being among all these fully-armoured rock-crawling beasts with 35" tires.

Passenger side lower ball joint has been clunking since the White Rim Trail. There was some play in it before, but it had never made any noise until now. I plan to drive some more rough roads and 4WD trails before I return. How long until a LBJ fails once it starts knocking? I don’t want to be stranded on a remote trail. Maybe I better look for a shop down here to replace it.

When I get back I’ll write up a full trip report with photos, in case anyone from our area plans to make the trip and wants ideas. This is my fourth time down here with the Tacoma, and I plan to come back. There’s a ton of cool trails that you can do in a stock Tacoma. Low risk of trail damage (I have a very modest life, no skids, no sliders) and gobs of traction (I did 90% of the WRT using 2WD). If you’re into exploring dirt trails and finding remote campsites with amazing views and top-notch stargazing, Utah is hard to beat (and there’s no bugs so camping is 80% more enjoyable). And if rock-crawling is your thing, there’s a bunch of well known trails in Moab for that too.

“Concise” summary of trip so far:

Days 1&2: Drove from Ottawa to Grand Junction, CO, about 36h straight. Stayed in hotel in GJ to reset brain. Stocked up with groceries and cheap US booze.

Day 3: Drove to Moab UT area. Hiked the trail at Fisher Towers. Explored Canyonlands NP, Island in the Sky district, watched thunderstorms roll in at dusk from Willow Flats overlook. Camped in Horsethief Camp (BLM land). The Tepui tent handled the rain ok but my improvised awning (tarp and poles clipped to RTT) was useless against the sideways rain. Got soaked making dinner on the tailgate. Ate in the truck.

Day 4: Rain stopped overnight. Tried to descend Long Canyon towards Moab; road closed from some type of obstruction. Hiked trails in Arches NP. Camped at Willow Flats up in Island in the Sky district so we could get an early start on the White Rim Trail.

Day 5: Foggy morning. Tent still wet (ugh). Checked with park office on road conditions on White Rim Trail...they didn’t know, thought it might be muddy on west side...Ok. Descended Schaffer Switchbacks, high pucker factor even after driving this section several times now. Chatted with an owner of a 2nd gen heading down to Lathrop Canyon about local trails. Camped at Gooseberry B. Awesome sunset and moonrise.

Day 6: Second day on WRT. Tent finally drying out. The steep hill at Murphy’s Hogback seemed steeper than last year (not likely) and rockier than last year (possible). No problems going up in 4-LO, though. Camped at Potato Bottom A.

Day 7: Last day on WRT. Gave a lift to a mountain biker who was nervous descending Hardscrabble. Exited WRT by Mineral Bottom. Decided to see if Long Canyon road was open yet - it was! First time doing Long Canyon, awesome trail. Passed a grinning 4Runner driver and some Jeeps coming up. Much steeper and longer than I thought it would be. Drove in to Moab to restock, then headed north to Green River State Park, one of the few campgrounds with showers.

Day 8: Planning to boondock in desert for a few days. Filled both water jugs and both gas jerrys (Tacoma is officially *heavy* now!). Drove south through desert to Horseshoe Canyon. Hiked to Alcove Gallery and stared at ancient rock art of people with no arms. Chatted with the Parks Service tour guide, Sabrina, about visiting Escalante National Monument. I told her where we were going, and she said it’s hard to get to some places like The Cosmic Ashtray, didn’t think two middle-aged out-of-shape guys could do it. Challenge accepted. Headed west towards Goblin Valley. Used a 4WD road between Hwy 12 and Goblin Valley SP as a “shortcut.” Turned out to be an awesome little trail with a 10-foot high sand dune, ruts, and rocky sections. Body mounts are still popping on the frame-twisting sections…I changed out the front ones with Energy bushings this summer, but guess I’ll have to consider replacing the other mounts. Or maybe the DCLB just isn’t made to twist the way I make it twist…? Drove west on Wild Horse Rd down a wet wash (= stream) and camped on BLM land at a sweet campsite on hill top with awesome views (38.54436, -110.82806). Kim got to test out the portable shitter while the sun set and proclaimed it the best view from a crapper ever.

Day 9: Continued west on Wild Horse Canyon Rd, planned to hook up with Caineville Wash Road but road was completely washed out at Muddy Creek, 8-foot sheer sand wall on opposite side of the creek. Had to drive all the way back out to Hwy 12, through Hanksville and take Caineville Rd north towards Cathedral Valley in Capital Reef NP. Camped at the free NP campsite at north end of Cathedral Valley (38.47454, -111.36744). Turned out we had the same site that Chris from Venture4WD used a few days prior, based on his latest YouTube vid.

Day 10: Toured south through Cathedral Valley on washboard roads and through alarmingly soft washes that are still wet from the rain, exited at the Fremont River ford (easy crossing, water only 10” deep maybe). Hiked a trail in the 2WD portion of Capitol Reef NP. Drove south through Boulder, UT, and east on the paved part of the Burr Trail. Camped in the Escalante National Monument at Deer Creek camp. Not recommended - small, crowded sites.

Day 11: Drove on Hwy 12 through Escalante NM. Drove south on Hole-in-the-Rock Road, then on access road to Harris Wash trailhead. Parked truck and hiked to Red Breaks slot canyon. Hard to find, trail was not well marked. Based on tracks, appears most people miss the actual Red Breaks slot and instead do a less impressive slot below it. Could only get partway through Red Breaks because Kim is too fat and got stuck in a tight section. Got back to the truck at 4:30, still had some light left so we drove further up the access road towards the Cosmic Ashtray (37.68289, -111.31590). Parked when we thought we were close, and hiked overland to the Ashtray. Only 1km away but 500 foot climb. Made it just before sunset (take that, Sabrina). Google an image of this thing, it’s freaking awesome. Stayed at the Cowboy Inn in Escalante last night. Shower and pizza. Extravagant.

Still to go: Heading down Hole-in-the-Rock Road again to see how far we can get (lower sections are still muddy) and hike another slot canyon. Then over to Bryce Canyon NP tomorrow, and two nights at Zion NP before I drop off Kim at Las Vegas for his flight home. After that, I plan to make my way back east through southern Utah for a couple weeks by myself. There’s still some trails I’d like to explore (Cottonwood Canyon, Burr Trail south to Bullfrog, Kokopelli Trail).

12. Nov 14, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    I'm new to this site, and from Ottawa! I would be up to check out some trails sometime.

Bocsy44, Kemosabe, Tocamo and 2 others like this.
  13. Nov 15, 2018 at 6:47 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    Would love to check out your '97 :thumbsup:

And I would love a winter trail run.

Bocsy44, Kemosabe and timbobzimbob like this.
  14. Nov 15, 2018 at 7:15 AM
    Coffeeholic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    It needs a bit of work as I just got it, but I'm definitely up for that. Anyone here know what a mechanic would charge to swap my 4cyl to a v6? all I know is the engine mounts are in slightly different locations but that it's possible. Also, anyone know if BFG KO tires are winter rated (with the snowflake symbol)? I actually live in Gatineau, but am in Ottawa basically everyday. Any good trails on the Gatineau side as well?

Kemosabe and Tocamo like this.
  15. Nov 15, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    Tacotj

Tacotj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa ON
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4X4 Sport

The KO2's do have the snowflake symbol, I run them all year round - not the best winter/wet pavement tire but they are mall rated o_O

Kemosabe and timbobzimbob like this.
  16. Nov 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    I'll be getting the Goodyear Wrangler "Duratracs" which also have the 3 peak snowflake. Not saying they are better, I just don't want an E Load tire in my size 265/75 16.

Kemosabe likes this.
  17. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    Kemosabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    I'm in Gatineau too, east side of the city but drive to Aylmer everyday to work. In '97 is it still a 22R or a 2.7?

18. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    Kemosabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    :popcorn:

Any updates on that balljoint?
    You are about to be back home also?

19. Nov 17, 2018 at 9:08 AM
    Coffeeholic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    My 97 is a 2.7L. I know they had it available in 2.7L and 3.4L, but I think also the 22R which is the 2.4L but I don't think they're so common. My 2.7L feels a bit underpowered compared to my V6, so I can't imagine how sluggish the 2.4L would feel.

I live in Aylmer so you may see me driving around one day :thumbsup:

Kemosabe[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 17, 2018 at 10:02 AM
    Kemosabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Western Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010, 2.7l, 4x4, M/T
    Mine's a 2.7 in a 2nd gen haha I find it ok, but cant compare since I dont own bigger power than that lol need a picture of the truck so I know who you are!

I also don't drive the truck anymore during the week. I have a Ford Transit lol if you see one with CAMA Industries lettering it is me lol

Products Discussed in

To Top