1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

our tacoma's "21.5mm" lug nuts + costco = stripped lug nut hell!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i tried to rotate my tires this weekend. my jack is too short, and my special 4x6 lumber "Shim" was missing. rotation failed.

my wife saw my frustration and saw me shopping for a new and improved high lift floor jack, decided to help out. she took my truck to costco for my free rotation and balance. i was touched, but nervous when she called from the shop.

sure enough, she said my truck has "mal bings" which is taiwanese for "big problems". what? she said the tech stripped 3 of the 6 lugs on my front driver's side. and the tech said it was not his fault because the 21mm socket could not slide on the lug. ok..

CRAP!! i left work an hour early and surveyed the damage. i got some bolt outs, including some lug removal tools. i ran thru the closest sizes, and managed to spin the retarded chrome sleeve loose. i pryed it off with a small prybar, and revealed the most beautiful sight..a relatively UNMOLESTED 20mm steel lug underneath. it was tight as a mother effer, but i got it off with a simple ratchet with some minor stripping.. i took off the other less stripped lugs..and replaced with 3 new toyota lugs ($15).

all of mine are tight, so i use a 22mm with no issues. the costco tech went at it with a 21mm.

i am gonna buy all new aftermarket lugs..when i find them. this problem any where but on my driveway would have been disasterous.

pics.

DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg

2. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    she wants to go back to costco to let them finish the driver's side. err..no.

i'll take them off, let them balance them..and take them home for the reinstall. they are not touching those weird lugs.

3. Jul 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 21mm 6-point socket fits my lug nuts just fine.

I think it is more likely operator error, or the dipwad tried to use a 12 point socket.

4. Jul 20, 2011 at 2:55 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    It's common. Those little "sleeves" swell up and it's hard to get the correct socket size on. The little "sleeves" are very common on most lug nuts. Chrylser is horrible for swollen lug nuts. Toyota lugs are 21mm.

The most correct and crappy way to remove lugs like this are to beat a socket over the lug with a hammer, then remove the lug. You'll more than likey have a crappy mintue of then beating on your socket to get the lug out. Rinse, repeat at worst 24 times. (6 lugs x 4 wheels)

I would not consider what happened to you "stipped lug nut" worthy. Stripped lug nuts would not tighten down when installed on the lug studs, it would be hard to even get them on the studs to begin with. They just damaged those retarded little sleeves that cover the lug.

5. Jul 20, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, I would guess improper use of a worn down 12 point socket was the problem. Either that or the socket was deep enough and he was only catching the top of the lug. My 21mm 6 point works fine as well with a 3" extension to get the ratchet out past the tire.

6. Jul 20, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If he only screwed up a couple of lugs, why not just replace the damaged ones? There is nothing wrong with the stock lugs, and they fit your rims perfectly. It just seems like a waste to go buy a complete new set just because some dushbag did not know what he was doing and damaged a couple of yours...:confused:

7. Jul 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Sounds like he used an impact gun. Those sleeved lugs don't like impacts.

8. Jul 20, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    sprocketdog

sprocketdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 96 Taco 06 TSX 94 extra cab Hilux
    DR coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Dakar rear springs, Bilstien 5150s, Demello sliders, rear plate bumper w/ swing gate, and alot more mods. [IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/sprocketdog1/059.jpg[/IMG]
    Next time you rotate them yourself always put anti sieze on the threads as well, and make sure you are using a torque wrench with the proper spec for the lugs. Snap on makes a pre calibrated torque stick for an impact gun which is what I use every time makes it alot quicker to rotate the tires.

9. Jul 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    You should bebe ablebuy the stock looking lugnuts that are solid and not sleeved from any tire shop for like $2 a piece. The same thing will happen to the Toyota ones you bought.

10. Jul 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    Sorry for spelling errors in above post... Stupid phone

11. Jul 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I replaced all of the lugs on my truck because I do my own rotations if needed and did so when I first got the truck, I got the socket stuck on this one nut that was getting on my nerves, it looked just fine but did not fit for shit! I have not had any isues with the new nuts so maybe I had one bad one, that was the only one that did that.

12. Jul 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I use a 13/16" socket on stock OEM lugs. That's the size specified on McGard's web site. Fits very well.

BTW, where is the jack coming up short, in the front or in the rear? In the front, for brief work like changing wheels, I put the jack under the LCA.

13. Jul 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
  14. Oct 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    done with this. found Wheeler's supplied Gorilla hardware on my desk this morning.

hate spending $$ on wheel hardware.

e3unetuh.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top