1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Out damned buzz!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SlurpeeBlueMetallic, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic [OP] FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    There have been many threads here about fixing the buzzing sound many of us 2nd Gen owners hear coming from behind the glove box. I've read at least 1/2 dozen of them trying to isolate and fix mine to restore peace and quiet back to my cab.

Specifically this deals with intermittent buzzing that is only heard when accelerating slightly at low RPM (~1400-1750 RPM).

Several folks identified a buzz coming from a thin loop of wires on the left side of the glove box. This is where I started and taped that whole run of wires together with electrical tape and secured it against the side of the dash. No luck...

Others identified a buzz coming from the triple stack of wiring harnesses and bundles on the right side of the glove box. I tinkered with that for about a week yet still heard BZZZZZZZZZZZZ every time I drove.

But I finally found the source of my buzz (ok, that sounds a little weird :rasta:). Look at this picture:

[​IMG]

I took the glove box completely out for a better view. The angle of this picture is level with the top of the passenger side seating surface, just where your head would be if you're leaning in and looking at the A/C blower and cabin filter.

I labeled the first two places I read about and tried (left side, bottom right) but neither of these took care of my problem. But if you look at the top right you'll see a circled zip tie around a metal bracket. Behind that bracket (you can fit your finger around and behind that metal flange poking out to the left) is a pencil-thick bundle of wires. You can see part of that wiring through the hole of the metal flange. That was the source of my buzzing! I zip tied that bastard to the bracket and finally enjoyed a quiet drive around town!

:yay::woot:

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Rep for you. I tried and failed to isolate and kill this buzz at the SC mod day. Looks like a retry on that zip tie coming up for me.

Thanks. What worries me is that we all may have something different in there buzzing...

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:

Thanks!

I suspect you may be right. With all those wiring bundles and harnesses in there, any one could be slightly askew and buzz. I thought briefly about filling the inside of the dash behind the glove box with that expanding insulation foam but that was just because I was getting pissed at the buzzing. But at least I got an amusing mental image of a Great Stuff air bag ejecting if I got into a crash.

:rofl:

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    MassTaco

MassTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4 SR5 DC AT5
    I'm in the same boat ... None of the fixes that worked for others have worked on my "rattle". This will be the next place I look. Thanks and nice work!

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    Ok, sounds like it's time to create a "What cured my Buzz" thread to collect all this crap in. Jeez, our 2nd Gens are starting to sound like they were made by Nokia

:rofl:

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I "fixed" my buzz by zipping the right bundle of wires on your diagram. It worked until this week, the buzz is back. I'm trying your method this weekend. Thanks.

7. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    We do need a thread called "how to fix this buzz/rattle"
    I saw one a little while back showing how to fix the "ticking" from back in there, it was the blower motor for the ac/heater.

8. May 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Gotta get some zipties and try this.

9. May 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Any reports on whether this solution has worked over time?

10. May 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    You know what killed my buzz...

When the wife comes into the room at 615am and say im preg. That killed my buzz 4 years ago. Dont drink anymore now.

Okay back on topic. Need to try this... GJ man

11. May 3, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    unfortunately this didn't get mine.

I have localized mine to many of the wiring bundles...the question is which one...

12. May 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    And I developed another buzz in either the wiring bundle on the bottom right or the thick one coming in through the firewall under the dash/glovebox (not pictured above but right below the A/C blower). I don't know which since I zip tied the hell out of them, with about 6 ties each, and the buzz went away again.

13. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    709GADE

709GADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR5 DC LB - Pyrite Mica
    Toyota aluminium side steps, Toyota door sill protectors Extang trifecta tonneau cover, U-Haul Class 3 hitch, Black Weathertech's, Front mudflaps trimmed 4", OEM Fog Lights, WeatherTech Bug Deflector, 13" Stubby antenna, TRD Skid Plate, ScanGaugeII, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Plasti Dipped overhead temp/compass console, LT265/75/16 Duratrac's LR C
    Fixed my buzzing with some electrical tape on some loose wire loom underneath the glove box :D

14. Aug 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I was/am unaware of this .... I have silenced all others (keyless entry, seatbelt, key in w/open door) .... now I'll be listening .... thanks pal.

15. Aug 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    I just had my truck at the dealer to have a rattle taken care of, that was also coming from behind the dash. They said it was a piece of plastic AC tubing that they covered with insulation. I was only experiencing the rattle when doing between 30-45 in the low RPM range (1000-1500). Since then, all good!

16. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    No problem, glad I could help out :eek:

17. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    It is called
    Tinnitus

18. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Mine sort of came back after a week... it's much lower now but it's still annoying.

Can you tell me exactly where this tubing is? Pictures?

19. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    In the throws of hunting this noise down as well. Will give that screw/bolt a shot. I could call it more of a rattle.

Happens most of the time with acceleration, can seemingly never get it to happen when I'm in a parking lot.

20. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    Thank you dude, I started to hear it no so long ago and I thought it was from the pasenger speaker or panel(down tehre)

Products Discussed in

To Top