1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Outboard personnel stand up! Who has their jump wings?

Discussion in 'Military' started by tencrawler, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 21, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    C-Rok275

C-Rok275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    I found this old pic in my stuff today. Circa ‘03-04, Geronimo DZ.

C1B970AF-9932-4C43-920C-119437A3A1DF.jpg

dleriche likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    Windmill Road

Windmill Road Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    20’ White DCSB OR (MT) / 02’ Black AC SR5 (MT)
    No cool photos, but on status 81’ through 06’…awesome memories!

dleriche likes this.
  3. Jan 4, 2022 at 10:06 PM
    GeorgiaTacoJM

GeorgiaTacoJM @beardedtacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    KD MAX Tune, Westcott Lift, Method Wheels, Nittos, RCI Bed Rack, Sumo Springs
    82nd Airborne, 1st and 4th BDE 2001-2010. Twice the 1/82 Jumpmaster of the Year. Then went to become the OPS SGM at the 507th Airborne School on Fort Benning. I miss the Airborne days.

WabashTaco, Bowjumper and dleriche like this.
  4. Jan 21, 2022 at 2:41 PM
    10thgrouptvet

10thgrouptvet Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 TRD Limited, Crew Cab, Silver
    2" lift, Trailer Brake Controller
    91 SL, Jumpmaster

dleriche likes this.
  5. Feb 1, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    Apollo14

Apollo14 EEF Brand Ambassador

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vail, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Taco TRDOR DCSB
    Hey guys.
    I’m not sure where to post this but I figured you would know better than me. This will be long and I came close to calling a dude out.

Does this sound suspect to you?

Dude in my apt complex jumps out a car in Army ACUs (the old digi-camo UCP style not the Current OCP) and German shepherd with a patrol harness. Homie is sporting a drop holster with a pistol in it. Has shiny capt bars on an ACU soft cap. Talks like ski bro with a shaggy scruff (Mind you this is Vail, Colorado and nowhere near any military installation…for like 3 hours).

I watch his dog (off leash) break off to go charge another dog. Who’s owner jumps in the guy’s ass and tells him to “chain his dog”. guy proceeds to leash him and starts walking to me asking if my dogs are friendly. I tell him yes but not usually to big dogs because they are scared of big dogs.

I ask him if the dog is a working dog. His reply was “he is but he’s still a puppy”. Then continues with “but he’s parachuted out of helicopters and a shit”. I asked if the dog was in the puppy program to which he said, “yes”. Meanwhile the dog is all over the place. Not listening to commands of “no” and “get over here” as he struggles to maintain him.

I tell him I used to be a dog handler in the AF and he asked where I’ve served which I tell him Saudi and Kuwait. He said, “oh the gulf. I’m special forces”. Then tries to fist bump me and says “thanks for your service” as his dog is going off the rails and not being chill. Then ends it with “I just got promoted to captain.”

my issues are multiple at this point. Maybe it’s paranoia but I seriously get pissed off at stolen valor shit and while I am proud of my own military service (even though I got Med boarded out after my second enlistment), I REALLY hate people who claim to the the baddest badasses we have.

1. I’ve never seen non subdued rank insignia on soft caps (although I’m not too familiar with Army dress and appearance standards).
      1. No unit patches on sleeves
      2. Armed and off post and don’t conducting official military duties (seemingly just going home).
      3. I thought the digital UCPs were phased out and replaced with the OCPs by 2019?
    2. Demeanor and appearance and attitude run counter to all the SF guys I have ever met.
    3. The dog (my own experience as an MWD handler)
      1. Claims dog is in puppy program but can’t name Lackland as the joint service training location for all MWDs
      2. While dogs in the puppy program are basically just loved and not “trained”, Puppy program dogs rarely leave a 100mi radius of Lackland AFB/Medina Base.
      3. No ear tag on the dog
      4. Dog is in puppy program but “parachuting” out of helicopters?
        1. While I know there are parachute dogs, I don’t think they do it out of helos and certainly not an untrained/non-certified dog.
      5. Don’t doesn’t obey commands and commands given are not the given commands taught in MWD school. Also no corresponding hand movements? (Also runs counter to the “parachuting” dog claim)
      6. Dog leash isn’t standard leather lead given to all handlers (doesn’t seem like a handler)
    Sorry for long post. But this is really bothering me. I’ve been out for awhile and probably aren’t up on current military policies (especially US Army ones). I keep thinking I should have dropped a challenge coin on him (I still carry my EST one). I also don’t wanna be a douche and doubt the guy because I’ve been out of the game for awhile. But the MWD stuff had me seriously suspecting him as all MWD training is done at Lackland and I have a bit of background in it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  6. Feb 1, 2022 at 9:59 AM
    Lambo9418

Lambo9418 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 TRD Pro
    Can't speak for current uniform standards, but back in my day (woodland camo pattern BDU), non-subdued officer rank insignia on a soft cap in garrison environment was SOP.

That said, I can't imagine a captain having any assignment involving individual dog handling, so the demeanor you observed coupled with the sidearm - sounds like a real whack job to me.

7. Feb 1, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    saltybum

saltybum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Space Coast
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Access
    Two things I was looking forward to spring of 75, going to Benning as a second generation jumper and turning 21 while there. What, NO Way! Guard duty on my birthday on a Friday night and a full moon.
    Thanks black hats. ALL THE WAY Baby! Six months later knee surgery would end my jumping.

8. Feb 2, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    Bowjumper

Bowjumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    Got my wings June 83.

dleriche likes this.
  9. Jul 25, 2022 at 5:34 PM
    JCGarfunkel

JCGarfunkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    5 SL from Ft Benning and 100+ MFF

dleriche likes this.
  10. Oct 5, 2022 at 11:15 AM
    Fl-NC

Fl-NC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Vehicle:
    2022 metallic grey SR5 4WD V6
    none
    I got mine in '87. Also Italian, pakistani, colomibian, Kenyan, and uae. And MFF wings. The ones with the square chute and the commando knife.

11. Dec 31, 2022 at 11:04 AM
    lit_taco4x4

lit_taco4x4 IG and YT: @lit_taco4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    JD fab LT, Archive and Deavers, King shocks, Dual locked, Dual T case, Tundra steering rack, 39’s
    Does being a 5 jump chump count? :rofl:

smartbomb, whatstcp and dleriche like this.
  12. Jan 3, 2023 at 8:52 AM
    Lambo9418

Lambo9418 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 TRD Pro
    I prefer the term "5 jump commando", which I am / was, too. (Class 9-85, 43rd Herd, Ft. Benning, Jan 1985)

dleriche likes this.
  13. Mar 22, 2023 at 5:49 AM
    jrgrieve

jrgrieve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma SR
    Nov 2010. Only 15 jumps though. Sad Panda

dleriche likes this.
  14. Jan 5, 2024 at 5:01 PM
    smartbomb

smartbomb rcvr/xmtr

Member:
    usually northwest of you
    Vehicle:
    2006 4-door prerunner long bed
    3" suspension lift, hard canopy, light bar in hood, ditch lights, aircraft cargo bars, powdercoated steel spares, desert tires, bed cargo bars (for rifle cases), misc interior doo-dads
    if you're a sad panda, then go skydiving. i've never seen someone that was skydiving that was sad.
    they're either petrified and sobbing from their impending existential threat, or they're completely stoked... or they're blanked-out and just following instructions and hoping they don't die.

dleriche likes this.
  15. Apr 1, 2024 at 6:03 AM
    CRonquille

CRonquille Member

Member:
    I have a set of "Honorary Jump Wings", I couldn't wear them on my Air force Uniform. I was TDY in Kuwait and had 4 dedicated DSN lines in my office.
    I let one of the Army officers use them after work hours to navigate a divorce. When he was done, he offered to let me jump with his group. I made 4 static line jumps before my commander found out. I got in trouble, but it was totally worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top