1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Outdoor built in bbq

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by rondog, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I would (and did) skip the plywood.

I mentioned the one at my buddy's place... that was a chipboard base with 2 or 3 inches floated. The chipboard had completely decomposed from moisture (and likely termites).

You'll need more support for the countertop than just a layer of ply and Wonderboard. I'd use Wonderboard as the base, but float concrete at least 2", and preferably 3" reinforced with "rabbit cage" wire.

If there's any flex (and there will be with the ply/wonderboard combo) the grout lines will crack, and you may break a tile, or they may pop loose.

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    rondog

rondog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    So you're saying, put the cement board down and then add a 2"-3" concrete top on top of the cement board reinforced with chicken wire? Sounds like a lot more work haha. Well, hmm I don't think I would have chosen chipboard as a base. I would pick something a bit more solid and apply a water resistant finish.

Anyway, here is the latest shot. I added 3 coats of Redgard to the outside of the cement board. I cut about a half inch of cement board off of the bottom because it was touching a little too close to the ground. I'll need to caulk the base which I plan on doing today.

[​IMG]

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If you're going to lay concretete, we did a cast-in-place 1 1/2" concrete with fiberglass reinforcment in our laundry room and kitchen. I bought bullnose edging molds. They were $200 for 8 eight-foot bullnose peices and 6 eight-foot straight edges (we used those against the wall and for the cooktop knockout).

I used Quikrete Countertop mix (~$15/bag). We used 4 80 lbs bags in the laundry room and 11 bags in the kitchen. We also mixed in some Buddy Rhodes concrete dye to color it (one can for every two bags). The fiberglass is about 2.5 lbs for each bag (bottom layer only).

My wife and I did this ourselves:
    This is about 14 sq ft (7'x2')
    concrete.jpg

I did this with my wife and her son.
    Kitchen was about 55 sq ft
    concrete2.jpg

concrete3.jpg

4. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    rondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    the concrete looks really nice. I just thought of something. Not sure I can use plywood anyway. Anything combustible has to be at least 1ft away from the grill.. hmm

5. Aug 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Those counters are way beyond my skill level... but I always cover my flatwork with tile or pavers ;)

Ron, looking at your frame again, you've got more support than I first thought.
    I'd say you'll be okay with two layers of Wonderboard, bonded together with thin-set.

But I would skip the ply. Even with a waterproof coating, it's not going to last forever, and you won't get a 100% seal.
    It will expand and contract with humidity.

6. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    rondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    Two layers of cement board huh..I've been using hardi backer rather than wonder board. The only one "rated" for exterior use is durock.

It's so hard to find the "right" one to use because everyone online has different opinions and they both seem to work, granted they're properly protected.

Hardi backer is pretty pliable, I'm thinking if I do end up using just cement board, I may use durock. My frame is pretty strong, it would take quite a bit of force to move it. Even a cement counter top shouldn't phase the integrity of the frame. And really there isn't any huge gaps between the steel studs. 8 inches at the most except one spot which is about 12"

7. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The gaps is what I was concerned about. You don't want ANY flex on the tile countertop. But when I saw how close your braces are, that concern minimized.

Wonderboard is basically just concrete with a glass wrap and smooth sides. Two layers bonded with thinset would be as solid as 3/4" of concrete, and with your support structure, I think would be just fine.

8. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    3" of concrete on that much area is going to way a shit ton , just make sure you don't have to move the thing later , lol

9. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    rondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    Oh yeah I'm moving it before I start adding anything else. I;m just about ready to start adding the stone veneer. I won't be doing the concrete counter top

10. Aug 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    linzy77

linzy77 Does not suffer fools lightly

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access V6 TRD Off Road
    Is that standard or metric? :cool:

Looking good OP! :thumbsup:

11. Aug 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmJr7cQlkQ
    It's not that bad actually. My wife and I had never worked with concrete before. We took Buddy Rhode's 3-day class in San Francisco. The class was $1200 each but it saved us money in the long run since we did the work ourselves. I used the same zCounterform molds he used in the video. I used glass fibers instead of ladder wire in the laundry room. This video is from a couple of years ago. His class doesn't teach ladder wire any more. It's all GFRC or glass fiber scrim but the methodology for the rest of it is the similar. In the kitchen I used glass fiber and ladder wire just for piece of mind.

With the glass fiber you just mix 2.5 lbs of it with each bag of concrete for the bottom layer (none in the top layer or you'll see the fiber in the cement surface). So for example, our laundry room countertop took 4 bags of concrete. We did two bags with glass fiber and filled the bottom (it's a dry mix so you pack it in by hand. It doesn't really poor). Then we mixed up two bags without fiber and put them on top, screeded, wood floated and then steel troweled the surface.

We also used Quikrete's Countertop mix instead of the Buddy Rhodes cement as it was about 1/4 the cost. It wasn't as nice to work with as Buddy's mix but it turned out good.

We did the laundry room countertop as our first run.

12. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    rondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    I was actually watching that video yesterday. That end results was awesome! I see you're in escondido too. Maybe you can save me the $1,200 dollar class and come help me ;)

13. Aug 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That's Imperial.

Canadian would be "Metric Shitload"

14. Aug 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    * metric shit tonne

15. Aug 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'd help for sure. I have the mixer, a float and trowel. I'll be out of town next week though and wont be back until saturday.

16. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    rondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    Ah, I was kidding, but that is very generous of you. I'm thinking I can get away with using 1/2" hardi backer. It will be overhanging the island by about 1.5". I will redgard the entire thing while I have them off.

17. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    looks good !

What are you using as a welding machine ?

18. Aug 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    rondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Escondido/San Diego
    It's a lincoln electric mig welder

So I got the counter tops all cut out and attached to the frame. I used the Redgard on the bottom and top side and sealed between the walls and counter with a bead of silicon. I got the gas line all hooked up as well ready to connect to the grill

I also started on the stone veneer yesterday and it is going to take quite a bit longer than I anticipated. Luckily the stone is quite easy to cut. I simply score it about 1/4" where I want it cut and then tap it with a rubber mallet and it makes a clean cut. I think it's going to look really good when it's all finished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Aug 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Looking good!!

20. Aug 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    So are you just going to use the tent for shade or whats your plans for that?

Products Discussed in

To Top