1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OV Tune vs ECT PWR

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by okccj, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Apr 11, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    TC_Mic

TC_Mic Well-Known Member

Member:
    State of confusion, aka Flori-duh
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky 2x4 Limited
    AMP Powerstep, UC Flex, bed lights, Opt7 Tailgate bar, black tailgate lettering Pending: re-configure tail light,s custom storage pocket bags, pinch weld painting, blackout badges, ......
    Just wondering how many current 3rd gen owners had a test drive where they were able to test the drive-ability in ALL ownership circumstances.

I know for one I did NOT have that opportunity. During test driving I was not able to test it in driving the following conditions: Towing, hauling 70-100% of capacity, cold starts, sever weather driving, high cross/head winds, emergency stops & starts, off road including but not limited to rock climbing, sand driving, mud runs, water crossings etc.
    o_O
    My point is, you are placing blame on the owner for failing to see the concerns or problems found in ownership during a test drive.

That is not the least bit reasonable. :der:

Would experiencing some of the things I found during ownership changed my choice to buy my Taco? HELL NO.

But it also does in no way imply that did not do my due diligence or that I knew or was able to test every driving characteristic prior to buying.

Not my first vehicle. Not likely to be my last either. I love my truck and have had no problems with it, short of odd drive-ability that as you said is as intended by Toyota. I like many have learned how to drive "through" the issue. :) I find the issues inconvenient rather than unacceptable at this point.

Now as for ECT or OVTune and the impact on MPG: in my experience ECT will decrease your mpgs.
    Though I have not tuned my truck everything I have read, been following the thread since day 1 I think, says that one can expect a flat to slight increase in mpgs.

No matter if you chose to tune or not, Best of luck OP!! :hattip:

2. Apr 11, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Although I have no way of verifying the numbers (70/30), I'd have to generally agree with your logic - when using the 91 octane version of OVtune. How much it could impact longevity is anyone's guess. I can tell you one thing, I definitely drive it harder :)
    There is also an 87 Octane tune that focuses on drivability with no added power to peak levels. FYI

3. Apr 11, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    Generally speaking I would agree with the 70% comment but I have a hard time seeing that on the stock tune. If you want to get moving quickly on the stock tune it’s all or nothing... and you have to nearly floor it then it takes off (jerks in the process) like a bat out of hell. The stock tune forces you to step deep into the throttle and when the power comes on it does so harshly - in a way I can’t imagine is good for any drivetrains longevity. I don’t do a bunch of WOT pulls and am not trying to race my truck... but I run the 91 OVTune and what it does for me is give me predictable and smooth delivery of power low/mid range and in monitoring engine load, heat, lambda, AFR or any other meaningful measures of wear I see no measurable difference between OV and stock tune.

MOC221_ likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2018 at 11:42 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    My early '16 M/T was the same way stock. Imagine trying to pull off a rev matched downshift with that throttle - you had to push the gas pedal hard, and in some cases hold it there waiting for the revs to come up in a timely fashion. I did "learn" to deal with it, but that didn't mean I liked it. It was actually a chore to drive smoothly and eventually I realized how compromised my driving style had become. That's just me and my truck, and OVtune fixed all that.

bshammer0[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 11, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll...

Member:
    TX / S. FL
    Vehicle:
    3G TRD OR
    1. Our discussion is about some people being unhappy with the trucks power and the way the truck drives / shifts. NOT, the “safety recalls” you so graciously pointed out.

2. People have been “crying” and Toyota listens. As the good company they are, they have tried to “improve” things for the masses. The TSB with the shifting enhancements is just that.

I dont belive I have ever stated that anyone here was “retarded”. Please dont make things up.

The truck may not be perfect but it is a damn good truck. No TSBs have been performed on my truck and likely won’t, as I rather not take my vehicles to a dealer. Ironically, I also test drove a ‘16 and had no issues with the tranny or power then. I did; however, experience some vibrations while using the brakes. Suffice it to say, I did not buy that truck.

A “thank you” you say? Ha! Now you are sure to be jesting.

Here is an idea! Don't like the truck? Have issues with the truck? Instead of downing it and complaining about it, sell it. Put your money where your mouth is. Good riddance.

Like I said before, if the glove fits wear it.

I am pretty certain that we had already agreed to disagree. :deadhorse:

6. Apr 11, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    taco2010trd

taco2010trd Cyber Bully

Member:
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD OR DCSB
    Well said

7. Apr 11, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll...

Member:
    TX / S. FL
    Vehicle:
    3G TRD OR
    I can totally understand how the tune on this truck would make a lot of people happy. The tune will definitely optimize most parameters on the truck. We agree there.

A tune by a reputable tuner will most certainly improve nearly all stock vehicles.

taco2010trd likes this.
  8. Apr 12, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Sorry if I bruised your ego or confused you with facts lol. Are you gonna “headshot” me with another witty post? Awful convenient to disregard recalls/TSBs and blame everything negative on whiners. I did actually put my money where my mouth is and tuned my rig. I also allowed the dealer to perform warranty work that was needed, and hey I’ve even corrected a few things myself. Those damn kazoo door seals and flap happy hood are still there though, I just ignore them now. I’m grateful I don’t have the HP fuel pump chirp.. oh yeah there’s a TSB out on that too, if you ever develop that Toyota has been replacing them. I can keep going.. no? Ok.
    I don’t hate my rig, quite the opposite now that I’ve got most of the kinks worked out. One of my co-workers constantly laments about how he’d love to have a truck like mine. “Those little trucks are the cream of the crop” he said once. I couldn’t look that guy in the eye without telling him some of the stuff I’ve been through with it though. That’s called honesty, and he appreciated it. I did tell him I’d do it again though. He knew why.
    Lol, good riddance you say? Aww that’s just mean bud. I like this forum, and have learned quite a lot from the incredible cross section of ppl you find here. Oh I meant to tell you, I still have my original CKP in the center console. I don’t really know why, maybe it just gives me a warm and fuzzy knowing I have a spare and a 10mm socket around if I’m back in the woods without cell service. Maybe it’s just OCD though.. ya that’s probably it.
    Hey OP, to your original question - if ECT works for you, put the $800 bucks into other cool stuff! If you feel you need/want more, well check out the OVtune review thread. I’m completey biased of course, but I wouldn’t go back now that I’m tuned.

taco2010trd likes this.
  9. Apr 12, 2018 at 12:42 AM
    ThatOneTaco

ThatOneTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    He did put his money where is mouth was. Just did it in a different way.
    Instead of taking some ridiculous loss selling the truck he invested $800 bucks kept the truck and now has an even better experience.
    I don’t know where you’re finding these unicorn trucks that have no issues but I can assure you there is a serious issue and Toyota does not know what to do.

taco2010trd likes this.
  10. Apr 12, 2018 at 12:44 AM
    strktly_bodysurf

strktly_bodysurf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine runs perfectly fine.

MOC221_ likes this.
  11. Apr 12, 2018 at 12:52 AM
    ThatOneTaco

ThatOneTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off-Road
    Guarantee if I data logged your truck it would record a shit ton of misfires.
    You may not notice but it’s happening along with a lot of other issues.
    I had someone say the same thing to me, I tossed him my keys told him to take my truck for a spin and then come back and tell me his truck still drove fine.
    After his rage subsided he ordered the tune the very next day.

12. Apr 12, 2018 at 1:09 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Yep, and I believe that. There are undoubtedly hundreds of thousands of people who are very happy with their trucks. See, what you didn’t do is try and tell people that have had issues that they are just whiners, they should shut up and stop complaining, and get rid of their rigs. I take issue with the whitewash mentality whereby anything negative is verboten, and also when people try and dissuade everyone they come in contact with that the truck is a total POS. Smitty comes to mind. That guy should definitely have moved on, as he outright hated the truck. I’m in the middle somewhere, and generally don’t tell ppl what to say/think. Sorry, don’t mean to drag you into this ridiculous argument.

13. Apr 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    strktly_bodysurf

strktly_bodysurf Well-Known Member

Member:

There are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dust mites on every single pillow in yours/my house. Is it unsanitary? yes Do I wish they weren't there? absolutely! Does it mean something is wrong and worth fixing (in MY opinion - I said MY opinion, just for the record)? NO. You are probably absolutely right that there are tons of issues with each engine/transmission in our tacomas...does it matter? Nope. Drives fine. Hopefully will last me 15 years. Gets great gas mileage. Speed limit in hawaii is 60 at most so I don't need tons of power. Suspension is smooth. Im super stoked with the truck as is. If you guys want to add something to make it better, in your opinion, do it! :cheers:

MOC221_[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll...

Member:
    TX / S. FL
    Vehicle:
    3G TRD OR
  15. Apr 12, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Agreed, and that's a balanced approach. To each their own in other words, right?

The only reason I brought up the TSBs/recalls was to prove a point about how varied owner experiences are. Some ppl are like, NOPE don't want to hear that shit at all.

I don't usually get into these stupid internet arguments, but people that tell others what to think are just :crazy:

For the last time (not directed at you), if you like your truck and don't have issues, that's great! Please understand that's not the case for everyone however, and those ppl having issues should not be told they are whiners or that they should've paid attention more during the test drive. Fuck off already lol.

:deadhorse:

16. Apr 12, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    TC_Mic

TC_Mic Well-Known Member

Member:
    State of confusion, aka Flori-duh
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky 2x4 Limited
    AMP Powerstep, UC Flex, bed lights, Opt7 Tailgate bar, black tailgate lettering Pending: re-configure tail light,s custom storage pocket bags, pinch weld painting, blackout badges, ......
    I would guess that at this point @okccj is likely regretting he ever asked for anyone's opinion.

This thread has, like so many others, degraded to and argument over who's opinion is correct and why everyone who disagrees is foolish.

On a bright note, there have actually been more than one honest opinions of OV Tune and ECT. OP, I hope you have found some useful information.

Best of luck!!

MOC221_ likes this.
  17. Apr 12, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    pismo61

pismo61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula,Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR 4x2 auto.
    Mine runs great.I guess I finally got lucky for once.

MOC221_ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top