1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overhead compass/temp package

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by treadant, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    treadant

treadant [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 4x2, 00 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    Can I take a used overhead console package with compass and temp feature and plug into my plain jane prerunner (07). Found a used one, but not sure if mine has factory wiring to plug and play. If I wasn't lazy, I could just pop mine out and look myself...but thought one of you guys might have crossed this creek before.

2. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008, Black sand pearl, SR5, 4X4
    PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with Hella Black Magics, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.
    i think the wiring harness is there but you will need the sensor and the overhead unit i could be wrong though

3. Dec 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    kevinva

kevinva Active Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Longbed
    The answer is more complicated than would be expected. A temperature/compass console from any model years 05-08 will work with your 07. A console from an 09 or 10 model year will definitely NOT work with your 07, as the wiring for the temperature sensor is totally different.

The key thing you need to determine is whether your Tacoma already has the temperature probe installed and wired up. If so, then you can just get a console from an 05-08 Tacoma and plug it in and it should work. If not, then you will need to install a temperature probe in the engine compartment and run wires from it to the overhead console. Check the center pillar in front of the radiator to see if there is a temperature probe installed.

If you search for "overhead console" on this forum you will find a number of threads from people who have successfully installed the temp/compass into their Tacomas. Some had to install the temperature probe and run a pair of wires to the overhead console. Others just had to install a temperature probe (the wires were already there and the harness was taped up in front of the radiator). Others already had the temperature probe and the wiring and just had to plug in the console.

Good luck!

4. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM
    treadant

treadant [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 4x2, 00 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    Thanks for the heads up.....hope y'all get hammered with snow today!

To Top