1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overhead Temp/Compass Dimmer?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DoNoEvil, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jan 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    DoNoEvil

DoNoEvil [OP] New Member

Member:
    First many thanks for the knowledge to re-solder the 510 resistor that fixed my Temp/Compass!

When I turn on my parking/headlights, my overhead Temp/Compass display dims :-( Its brightness is not controlled by the dash light dimmer control.

Well, I normally run with my headlights on bc I’d rather do that than have to turn them on when it gets dark – and it’s safer.

Which wire at the temp/compass connector can I insert a toggle switch into so I can make that display un-dim as I choose? I’ve about figured out how to pull one wire at a time from the female connector until I locate it.

I have the 05/06 wiring diagrams, but I can’t find this info.

2. Jan 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  3. Jan 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    DoNoEvil

DoNoEvil [OP] New Member

Member:
    That link is bad, but thanks!

It still gave me the clue that the temp/compass is called the "Accessory Meter".

My wiring diagrams show a GREEN wire for ILL+ (illumination) & a LT GREEN for IG+ (ignition), besides the WHITE/BLACK ground.

The Temp sensor loop is the YELLOW & GRAY.

Any idea what the purpose of the VIOLET/WHITE wire is that comes from the Combination Meter (another name for the dash gauges & lights)? That same wire from the CM also connects to the Tire Pressure Monitor ECU, 4WD Control ECU, Engine Control Module and Voltage Inverter.

I'm going to see if I can control the dimmer with the GREEN wire.

Stay tuned.

4. Jan 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    DoNoEvil

DoNoEvil [OP] New Member

Member:
    Success!

This mod became the Temp/Compass Auto-dim Disconnect since the readout isn't on the variable dimmer & it's unobtrusive overhead.

5. Apr 20, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    bobuhl

bobuhl New Member

Member:
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4
    Bull Bars, Running Boards, Bed Cover
    I know this post is old, but I am hoping I can still get this info. I drive with my headlights on 100% of the time and I have the exact same scenario. I would like my outside temp/compass to be at max brightness all the time since I have to turn off my headlights in the daytime to be able to read it.

Could you describe in detail the procedure you used to override the dimming feature that occurs when the headlights are on? Thanks

To Top