1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overland chainsaw and factory inverter ?'s

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by CpuPirate, May 9, 2016.

1. May 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM
    CpuPirate

CpuPirate [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DBSB TRD/OR
    I have see several threads about updating the factory inverter and changing the dc side wires etc, and also several threads about what "small" chainsaw is good to carry overlanding and car camping. I know that the stock inverter is rated for 400w AC use. I also know that it will be a limited use case scenario for me to need a chain saw, so I really don't want to deal with a gas powered unit and have to bring premixed fuel along and worry about plugs etc, and clearly 400w isn't going to cut (pardon the pun) a corded electric saw either as the big ones can pull up to 1800w. But what about a battery powered saw and using the stock (lightly upgraded) inverter to charge the battery?

I am specifically looking that this model:
    http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-GCS80420-18-Inch-Cordless-Chainsaw/dp/B00R6Z4R42

Digging around I found that the 80v rapid charger consumes a max of 5.0A AC which would put my load at a moderate 600w to charge the battery.

I think that some of the smaller units- up to 16" in the 40v variety use 2.5a and will easily charge via the stock inverter.

So my 2 questions.
    1. Has anyone used a battery powered saw "in the wild". This will serve double duty as I live in NC and we are prone to hurricanes (I wont be cleaning roads up or anything) and I have some small trees in my yard that need dispatching for my shop to be built.

2. Is there a definitive answer on what size DC power wires are supplied to the stock inverter and what if any upgrade can be done without rewiring the truck. Most threads seem to be looking for 800-1500w.

2. May 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    Personally, never used an electric chain saw, but I have seen there products demo'd at a Home Improvement Store. Mostly lawn equipment and it seems very well made.

A 750w inverter would be more than enough. Harbor Freight has two: and and each is only $44.99. Combine that with the 20% super coupon that is always showing up in my mail box and you are only looking at something like $36 for one.

The #66817 only has a singe fuse, but it has dust covers for the outlets (2x110 & 1 x 500mw USB).

The #69660 has three fuses and is an inch smaller, but no dust cover for outlets (2x110 & 1 x 500mw USB).

The reviews for both seem really good. I say go for it.

3. May 10, 2016 at 1:51 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    I carry a small Ryobi 40v chain saw. I mostly use it to cut up firewood but I keep it incase I need to clear the trail.

4. May 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM
    CpuPirate

CpuPirate [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DBSB TRD/OR
    Do you charge it with the stock inverter? and do you find it to be sufficient? Most of the 40v saws I saw maxed out at about 14", not sure that will do what I need in my yard, but I'm sure it would do fine for firewood etc.

Thelgord likes this.
  5. May 12, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    I just keep a sharp felling ax in my truck.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  6. May 14, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I carry a sharp ax at all times for unexpected trail clearance. Used it on the trail twice today for 6" thick trees that had fallen across the trail.

When I know I'm going to be clearing trail, I throw the gas powered chain saw in the bed.

Pigpen likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top