1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Camping / Trip Reports / Photos / Buildouts / “Overland” / Expedition Rigs Area (homeless?)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, May 16, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Using SCUBA tanks at high pressure for an OBA setup seems very misguided IMO. From searching around the web, I know people do it, but it just seems a bit dangerous, overly complicated, and expensive when you consider all the other market alternatives, i.e. CO2, 12v compressors, etc.

2. Aug 7, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    I used to use a CO2 tank and loved it how fast it was. Only downside is that you have to refill it

3. Aug 7, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Right now purchases from Australia are a good deal for us in the states as due to the exchange rate you are effectively getting a 25% discount. If you buy a new Kimberley and take delivery here at a U.S. Or Canadian port then delivery is free is well.

As to the Conqueror trailers remember that the parent company is South African so depending on the current state of the Rand you may save even more buying from there. I don't spend much time in S.A. so I don't keep track.

Other Australian off-road trailers to look at are the "Track Trailer T-Van," and the "Complete Campsite" trailers. Friend in Texas retired from State department and brought a T-Van Muranji home with him and it's amazing. Told him that I've got dibs if they sell it but his son is pretty keen on keeping it to pull with the 60 that he is rebuilding.

DrFunker likes this.
  4. Aug 7, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Not SCUBA, SCBA. I bring the tanks to fill my Pre Charged Pneumatics (PCP) - Rifles. You can travel Internationally, across borders, states, etc. Easier than a firearm. Modern day pellet rifles are not what we grew up with. They are Deadly, high powered, super accurate hunting implements. They come in large bore and small cals. Ranging from over 50 cal to .177. - 50, 45, 357(9mm), 30, 25, 22, 20, 177 are some of the more common ones.

Hole in hole shots. People are accurately shooting over ~100yards and above with them. Plenty of pros to having a pneumatic rifle.

1. 1000 or more rounds are easily carried at a time if you need that amount.
    2. Off of one 'charge' (fill from a tank) people are consistently getting over 70 shots in-between fills
    3. SUPER QUIET!
    4. Can be fully suppressed LEGALLY!
    5. Because of the quiet nature of them, Repeated shots on various game are possible. Shoot one grouse, the others look at them like 'WTF is he doing!' - Boom, multiple follow up shots and more game bagged.
    6. Again on the noise level, - able to continue to hunt a plot you are on without scarring EVERYTHING away after a shot or two.
    7. Some states have opened up BIG GAME to air rifle hunters.
    8. Can be pumped up with an HP (high pressure) pump resembling a bicycle pump.
    9. Fill tanks can be used to fill and power tools.
    10. easy to work on and repair.
    11. Retention of value is there, some of the pieces rival the craftsmanship of Powder burners.
    12. Depending on caliber, ammunition (pellets) are readily available off the shelf. No price gouging or availability issues.

5. Aug 7, 2015 at 1:46 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) tanks are relatively CHEAP on the used market. Fireman tanks, riot control, and miner rescue use them. Generally Light weight, composite/ carbon fiber tanks. Built for durability (rescue industry). Pretty compact.

vs

SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) are again relatively inexpensive, however they are HEAVY! and rather large.

Filling the AIR tanks is much easier than filling a CO2 tank. Air can be filled at a Dive shop, Fire station, paintball shop, paintball field, some gun ranges, local chapters of the Air Gun community, and or owning your OWN fill station/ compressor. $12 is about average for a fill

CO2 - Maybe a paintball shop, Gas company, not sure where else really. No clue on cost

Something more about PCP guns. You can use Helium, Nitrogen, or AIR. The SCBA tanks accept either of the 3 mentioned gasses without issue. Out tools and tires can be run with either of those gasses as well.

Paintball tanks can be used also.

The most expensive investment when it comes to the tanks as I mentioned before is the REGULATOR to step the pressure down. You can also use the same regulator to fill the 5500, 4500, 3200, 3000psi tanks from a bulk tank like nitrogen, or helium, which are generally 6000psi filled tanks/. Then of course fittings.

Craigslist is great for used gear. Found a few Paint ball tanks on CL recently for the ~$20 rang.e

6. Aug 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I know where there is one for sale.

7. Aug 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Thats spot on and a given. THE PCP Guns are BBguns or Pellet guns. Instead of pumping, or putting a CO2 cartridge in there. You cage with HP gas.

Legalities, - most states have a 'back yard law'/ Can shoot in the back yard as long as the projectile does NOT leave the property line/ fence. Varies from state, municipality, county, etc. Always check local laws.

Most people do use a 'bag' or 'armor' for them. Most volatile part being the valve/ regulator. Follow the same safety precautions with a CO2 tank or fire extinguisher as well.

Shooting jack rabbits and various fowl to eat in the desert was fun and productive.

8. Aug 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    Just think of them as extra flavoring.

:hungry:

9. Aug 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Gotta wait till it drops below freezing here otherwise when you skin them you'll see a bunch of underskin gnarly ass wormy things.

14489 likes this.
  10. Aug 7, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I saw none. I now have a Jackrabbit jacket and the coyotes ate good before their demise... :spy:

14489 likes this.
  11. Aug 7, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
  12. Aug 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Canyon Country? I just looked at Socal's franchises, and they've grown quite a bit since 2011/12. I don't see the AT company listed, so AT must be contracting these out to Socal or Canyon Country. Hmmm. I don't see any of their branding or mention of it in the web copy. All the ones I've seen have leaf, not training arm suspenion. But the aluminum skin and cabinetry and hardware/doors are unmistakably from Gabe's shop in Upland.
    It was a real nice, OK, we're married and we deserve it prezzi for ourselves. And a minor extravagance. We live fairly prudently and have been focused on getting the bigger house in a better hood (which we did) and making a kid (oh yeah, need to check the thermometer, it's just about done). The teardrop will be a family heirloom.:)

13. Aug 7, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    PS. I have no idea what thread i'm in.

14. Aug 7, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I'll tell you what. I/we (OK, mostly I) agonized over this. Offroad teardrop, or onroad teardrop. The thing about these is the lines are sooo nice, and I've looked at a lot, and I think Socal does the best), and an offroad trailer by necessity is fairly utilitarian and rugged to be truly capable to go anywhere the truck can, but that knocks the grace off the lines...and that's a huge part of having a teardrop, in my opinion.

The onroad better suited our needs and wants, and we drop it at camp to go have fun offroad without it. It can introduce some logistical issues depending on the trip. Also, we wanted a larger cabin. They are small inside. The offroad are 4x8 We have a 5x9. Makes a shit ton of difference.

If you really want an offroad trailer, I'd look into other options.

15. Aug 7, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    You go girl.

But what about your Bren Gun Carrier? Eh?

16. Aug 7, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Ruin the lines it will.

17. Aug 7, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    #daddystitchmakesyoutwitch

18. Aug 7, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    We need to go deeper..... get the Australian trailer, pull your entire bed off, pull the body of the trailer off the trailer frame and drop it onto the truck frame where the bed used to be. ultimate expo rig!

DrFunker likes this.
  19. Aug 8, 2015 at 6:24 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    ^^^ this! We had to pinch pennies and budget hard to get the rack and RTT. If it wasn't for a great deal we found on TW we'd still be without. Not being rich is really slowing down my build.

Base Camp likes this.
  20. Aug 8, 2015 at 1:29 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    My friend has one and I've seen it in person. Good quality but in the future your going to want a full bumper, even if you don't think so now :p

14489 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top