1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Camping / Trip Reports / Photos / Buildouts / “Overland” / Expedition Rigs Area (homeless?)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, May 16, 2012.

1. Jan 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    You have the airbags and AAL necessary, but no.

windsor[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    monkeyface

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    4" lift blocks for the Lippert torsion axles was from a Forest River trailer, Lippert wouldn't sell them to me direct. I had to lie and cheat, provide a VIN from a Forest River I found on craigslist, then order them from Forest River. They're like R-pod lift blocks, but for dual axle. Certainly needed the lift to get the sewage hose up out of the way for the departure angle.

3. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hondo-garages-new-thing.516490/

4. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Nomad_Pilot I need to pewp

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    That makes me happy in the groin area

5. Jan 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    monkeyface

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Should have added some details about it. 2017 Winnebago 1706fb. 19'2", 7' wide, 2980lbs dry. Room for two Group 24 batts and two LP tanks on the tongue.
    - Big 6.5 cu ft fridge/freezer with separate doors.
    - 31g fresh tank, 29g grey and black
    - Enclosed and insulated underbelly
    - Big passthrough storage
    - Walkable rubber roof
    - Two sinks, 3-burner stove with oven
    - 7000lbs GVWR, 3820lbs cargo capacity. Kind of overbuilt, but that's ok.
    - Queen bed, but a tiny dinette, no fun sitting four adults at the dinette
    - Nice cabinetry, plenty of inside storage
    - Furnace is ducted into the bathroom, that's a great feature
    - Earlier models had a tankless water heater, which everybody hates, this one has the traditional 6g DSI

It has nice features for a short narrow trailer, often the short trailers don't have a big fridge/freezer, dual sinks, 3-burner stove, big tanks, dual axles, passthrough storage, room on the tongue for dual batts and dual LP tanks.

6. Jan 21, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    They are still on my short list, but the issues i have are are low height of the pipe and the short shower. l was looking at a 2106 but the shower height bugged me.

7. Jan 21, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    monkeyface

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    The low drain pipe bothered me a lot, I thought it would be easy to get lift blocks for the Lippert torsion axles. That wasn't the case, however when I took it to Merrill Axle in Lakewood, CO to install the lift blocks I finagled from Forest River they told me they often fab their own lift blocks for trailers. You could probably find an experienced shop in your area that could fab some blocks.

I paid Forest River $300 for the four blocks (ouch), then $700 for the install. Lifting it, the axles have to be aligned correctly after install so the tires don't scrub, that's why I shopped it out to Merrill Axle.

Drain pipe is 11" ground clearance now, that works.

8. Jan 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

What are you in Australia for? How Long?

9. Jan 22, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Headed down in April to do some flying, I will be back in November. Then next year leave in May come back in October. By then I should be able to go in front of a panel and see if I can become a citizen, and denounce my citizenship here.

Stig likes this.
  10. Jan 22, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    bajatacoguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

Awesome! That sounds like an adventure. I cant wait to make my way to Australia.

On a side note do you know of a way to get items shipped from Australia here?

Looking at an Australian Direct- Kickass Dual Battery setup but can not figure out a way to get it shipped here!

Ty

11. Jan 22, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Yes, go to ebay austrailia, find the item you want, email the seller and ask if they can ship to your address. USA has a direct cargo flight to Sydney via an airbus A380, so shipping isn't bad on most things. I am shipping a 1993ish toyota hilux back to the states as a personal vehicle for about $1200.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jan 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM
    bajatacoguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco

Awesome I will try that. Thank You so much! I have been stressing to get this specific kit.

THANK YOU!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Jan 22, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff

14. Jan 28, 2018 at 9:54 PM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    What type of battery would be best for running only accessories? I'm building a trailer and don't need the battery for starting an engine. Just for running a 12v water pump, some LED lights, and charging electronics.... maybe a small electric heater as well. No fridge though, so no constant power draw.

Will recharge/maintain with a solar panel, but don't plan on taking it on trips longer than a week.

Obviously looking for some type of AGM/sealed deep cycle battery, but I've also heard of using golf cart batteries too. Just haven't heard many specifics.

fatfurious2 likes this.
  15. Jan 29, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    RedBeard1

RedBeard1 Baby Ruuuuuth!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    The Republic of Texas
    Vehicle:
    1985 Hilux Crawler(Pete), 2016 Quicksand TRD OR 6MT (Wombat), 2016 TRD Pro T4R (OVTUNE # 2403)
    Mostly stuff I built.

I was looking into this one. I am going with one of these until I get my trailer built then possibly I’ll add a second so I’ll have plenty of power when needed.

NPP 12V 200 Amp NPD12 200Ah Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Deep Cycle 4D Battery With Button Style Terminals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94RBDG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZEZBAbNRHK8FK

mreimann[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Are you happy with the 50l? I would be travelling with my gal or mostly by myself and I am wondering if I need the largest one they make in that footprint.

17. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

We have a 45l Engel and run a week at a time with two adults and two small kids. Just pack right and don't plan on too many perishables.

IronPeak[QUOTED] and Casper66 like this.
  18. Jan 29, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Love it. I was worried a bit when I bought it, but the reality is that 50L is a lot when you don't have to fill half of it with ice. It's served well (including fresh fruit/veg) for a 2 week trip - we probably had about 15% more room we could have used.

IronPeak[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 29, 2018 at 6:56 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Thanks guys, sounds like I would want a smaller one. The reason I'm asking is there is an Engel 51 in my area for sale cheap.

dtaco06[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    mountainmonkey

mountainmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '13 Double Cab TRDOR DCSB
    Never enough
    You could always look up the interior dimensions and build it out of cardboard or something so you can visually see how much room you’d have. You could even try “packing” your cardboard model too.

Products Discussed in

To Top