1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Camping / Trip Reports / Photos / Buildouts / “Overland” / Expedition Rigs Area (homeless?)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, May 16, 2012.

1. Jul 4, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    If you listen carefully you might hear John Wayne calling out Robert Duvall in the original "True Grit", "Fill your hand, you son of a bitch". Or close your eyes and imagine Gregory Peck pushing a wagon and falling into the mud in "How The West Was Won". Both scenes filmed here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. Jul 4, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
    chiefcrunchy and Jim Bob like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    It's totally worth it.

4. Jul 4, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    Sasquatchtaco

Sasquatchtaco Sasquatch Taco

Member:
    Catskills NYS
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM DCSB 4X4 TRD
    Too many to list.
    I
    Exactly why I got mine.

5. Jul 4, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

Stop it... that’s not true!

Total BS

6. Jul 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    tacofort

tacofort Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    For anyone that doesn't want to track mud and dirt into their vehicles at camp, the CGear mats are probably the best thing I've found. They were developed to land helicopters in the desert.

monkeyface and TWENTYCO like this.
  7. Jul 6, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    There's no way I’d trust someone to stake that down well enough for me to land on.

8. Jul 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    Haha. I imagine the military version is bigger and many more anchorage points, but I'd have to agree. Though I don't have too many shenanigans involving choppers in the desert.

9. Jul 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    Nomad_Pilot

Nomad_Pilot I need to pewp

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Best avoid it like a 270 lbs hooker with aids.

crazysccrmd[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 6, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    You must be new here.

11. Jul 6, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    That post count....

12. Jul 6, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    tacofort

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    I'd have to agree with you. I do several road trips a year from a long weekend to 3 weeks. I've spent more money recently building the rig I want, because I enjoy traveling this way, not because I "need" any of it. Most of my hobbies are travel centric and I like to explore stuff. From the conversations I've had with industry vendors, the growth and boom of "overlanding" may not be sustainable long term, but I think it will impact change for car camping long term. Look at the fact that REI offers RTTs in store now (I'm sure Walmart is looking into it :rofl:). There are things I love an hate about it, but change is here, nothing we can do. Some of the gadgets are ludicrous, some are great. I bought a skottle, for the most part, I cook everything but coffee on that thing and don't worry about dishes.

The fundamental problem as I see it. Some of these new people aren't concerned with protecting the lands we get to use and some of these people think that they can buy a 4x4 and all of sudden they are an instant expert. Humility is lost on many. I'm not the most experienced outdoorsman, spent much of my childhood fishing, car camping, hunting, backpacking, etc. But I'm the first to admit and ask the others around me that have been doing things longer for advice. Wheeling is mostly new to me, so I spend the time to ask the OG's how they approach things. I have a lot to learn, but i also enjoy it. I was lucky enough to meet a good local crew that looks out for the new guys. :cheers:

13. Jul 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    If you pack out all your trash and air down your tires, you will be ahead of 70% of everyone else

rob1208, la0d0g, Gunshot-6A and 10 others like this.
  14. Jul 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    Kudos to you sir! I'm new to parts of this as well. I've spent time driving around the Mojave and through the mountains here in Va. I spent my time in the field while in the Army and had my share of camping along with 17 years working with the Girl Scouts but a good bit of this is new to me. Being hmble and admitting what you don't know is, for me, the first step to learning and a very refreshing outlook around here. Happy trails have some fun!

15. Jul 6, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    beachingtaco

beachingtaco "We have assumed control"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Long Island, new york
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB trd sport
    westin nerf bars, ARE in-channel visors, Wet Okole's, mobtown tailgate skin, Tail Gate theft mod
    That is pretty cool!

16. Jul 6, 2018 at 9:00 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Wow you need some new boyfriends.
    Serious?
    Just wow.

17. Jul 7, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Haha I don't have time for boyfriends !!!

Casper66 and DoorDing like this.
  18. Jul 9, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    Wild Crow

Wild Crow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Spent 7 days in Tennessee and North Carolina. Stayed at Round Mountain CG. Quietest campground I've ever seen, at the most there was only four sites in use (out of 24) and that includes our site and our friends site. Of course, there's no potable water available, and no electricity, so self sufficiency is a must.
    The week was spent chasing waterfalls, watching the milky way from Max Patch, running Hurricane Creek road ( Got to use my skid plates, sliders, and hung a front tire about 3 feet in the air) and got to drive through a half mile long abandoned train tunnel wading through hub deep water.
    20180701_144328.jpg

20180703_155129.jpg

20180705_112329.jpg

19. Jul 9, 2018 at 10:55 PM
    rodneyrdm

rodneyrdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR 4WD
    Where is the train tunnel at? I’ve seen a few post about it. I live in NC

Casper66 likes this.