1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overland Torque Tune (OTT) by Overland Tailor

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JustDSM, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Mar 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM [OP] Oderint Dum Metuant

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Overland Tailor Tuning was established in 2018 to bring custom calibration services to the 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma platform. Since our establishment, we’ve worked diligently to bring something to market that elevated performance and drivability in different areas than in other calibrations. We had an innovative idea and vision for what the Tacoma driving experience could be and set about bringing it to reality.

Our approach to calibrating vehicles is unique to OTT. Derived from extensive data collection and analysis (quantitative and qualitative), our methods have brought OE like reliability, repeatability, and consistency to an aftermarket calibration. Evaluating each change individually within our file, we’ve derived what we believe is as close to an OEM quality calibration as possible - leading to a truck that feels like it would have come off the lot, but having an enhanced driving experience that is typical of bespoke builds.

The OTT experience has been specifically engineered to improve the lacking low end torque production of the 2GR-FKS engine in part throttle cruise and at wide-open throttle while also paying special attention to the high RPM output. We accomplish this by optimization of key engine parameters controlled via the ECU to improve actual engine output (even with stock throttle settings if the client so chooses) and not just opening the throttle body further to give the sensation of additional torque. We also wanted to ensure our torque leading calibrations give your truck what it needs to tackle the terrain ahead.

All supported applications are developed from the ground up with the philosophy of having OE like reliability and predictability with an enhanced power-band that provides the broadest torque curve possible with transmission tuning optimized around this enhanced power-band. This set-up delivers improved torque to the drive wheels and improved response through a variety of speeds and driving conditions.

Due to the growth OTT has had, and the demand for support across other Toyota platforms, we now (as of 10/13/22) offer support for the following platforms:
    • 2005-2015 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L – Incl. transmission tuning/rev-hang delete & forced induction setups.

• 2005-2015 (Some exceptions) Toyota Tacoma 2.7L – Incl. transmission tuning.

• 2007-2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L – Incl. transmission tuning/rev-hang delete & forced induction setups.

• 2007-2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L – Incl. transmission tuning/rev-hang delete & forced induction setups.

• 2010-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0L - Incl. transmission tuning/forced induction setups.
    • 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma 3.5L – Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction systems.

• 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L Auto - Incl. transmission tuning.

• 2005-2009 Toyota 4Runner (4.0L & 4.7L) - Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2010-2012 Toyota 4Runner - Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2013-2019 Toyota 4Runner - Forced induction setups.

• 2020-2024 Toyota 4Runner - Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2007-2021 Toyota Tundra 5.7L – Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2007-2018 Toyota Land Cruiser 5.7L – Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2007-2018 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L – Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2005-2009 Lexus GX470 4.7L – Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

• 2008-2023 (Some Exceptions) Lexus GX460 4.6L – Incl. transmission tuning & forced induction setups.

You can find Overland Tailor Tuning at:
    https://overlandtailor.com
    https://www.instagram.com/overlandtailor/

or through our network of authorized retailers:

https://toyotatuningnetwork.com/

Details about our naming conventions and other details regarding our files:

Throttle Settings:

Our throttle settings come in a range of settings as we've learned there are folks who like near stock like settings and folks who like a very aggressive throttle profile. We've done our best to have production files available to our network with the full suite of settings, eliminating the need to have a custom throttle profile made for most clients. Our range of throttle settings available for most applications consists of the following, listed from least aggressive to most aggressive:

Lite, Mild, Medium, Spicy, Super Spicy

Some applications like the 3rd Gen Tacoma and 2nd Gen Tundra can have dual throttle settings configured. One setting for "normal" and the other for "ECT/Tow/Haul". Settings for each mode can be configured independently and are available in any combination. Speak to your tuner to discuss your needs and have a throttle configuration setup for your needs.

Transmission Settings:

On all applications where we have the necessary mapping definitions, we have transmission tuning available in two standard configurations, Standard and Sport.

Our Standard transmission mapping is designed as an enhanced OEM like shift schedule that retains a similar character of the OEM trans but we clean up and optimize when the transmission shifts and minimize the annoying behaviors the stock transmission tuning can sometimes have. Some platforms have better transmission tuning than others, so not all platforms will have the night and day difference the 3rd Gen Tacoma (for example) experiences.

The Sport transmission mapping we have available for many applications takes the Standard transmission tune we have to the next level. Not intended for the casual driver. Best suited for vehicles who are supercharged or use their vehicle at higher RPM/load for extended periods such as pre-running. The shift points for our sport transmission tune are designed to keep the motor higher up in the RPMs. You'll find upshifts occur at higher RPM and downshifts happen much earlier than the Standard transmission tune. This is often a standard option on vehicles with ECT.

We also offer Gear Lock (GL) tunes by request. Typically, these are configured to eliminate the downshift from occurring when large throttle inputs are made and used for dyno tuning or towing by some folks. We specifically configure our GL files to allow the vehicle to naturally downshift when coasting to a stop but will not downshift due to throttle input. Our GL files are configured to still upshift at the regular shift points the non-GL version would. These are not intended to be "Direct Shift" files. If you require a GL tune, please coordinate with your tuner ahead of your scheduled tune so we can ensure the files are prepared for you in advance.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024 at 8:08 PM
  2. Mar 20, 2022 at 1:15 PM
    JustDSM

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Overland Tailor Tuning and Performance

John and Justin have 30 years of combined experience in the tuning industry working with Jeep, GM, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Subaru platforms. We have experience with installation and tuning standalone EMS systems from AEM, Autronic, MoTeC, and Haltech and well versed in OE ECU reflash software from EFILive, HPTuners, VFTuner, ECUTEK, ECUEdit, and EcuFlash. We have provided calibrations and Beta testing services for various entities within the industry. Our commitment to integrity, putting our client’s needs first, and our ability to produce high quality solutions has led to OTT being a trusted name within the tuning community.

We believe that the success and failure of Toyota tuning industry is ultimately tied to the trust our clients (and tuners) have with the product they are purchasing. We value and believe end user satisfaction is the ultimate measure of success. We want to make it very clear that OTT is committed to providing you with the best we can offer and report honestly on our findings. We provide the client with the same calibration we dyno, meaning our results are repeatable.

We dyno what we sell.

3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma Dyno Results
    - 2020 Toyota Tacoma 3.5L Auto, 92 Octane Pump, 4.88’s on 33” AT
    Notes: All runs performed with gear lock tune in 3rd gear.

OTT Torque Tune vs Stock Tune

OTT_3G_Stock-vs-OTT_2.jpg

- 2022 Toyota Tacoma 3.5L Auto, 91 Octane Pump, 3.90s on stock tires

OTT Torque Tune vs Stock Tune

OTT_3G_Stock-vs-OTT.jpg

- 2022 Toyota Tacoma 3.5L Auto w/ Magnuson SC (90mm pulley, otherwise 100% stock), 91 Octane Pump, 3.90s on stock tires

OTT S/C Tune vs Stock Truck/Tune
    OTT_3G_SCvsStock_Peak_SAE5.jpg

- 2022 Toyota Tacoma 3.5L Auto w/ Magnuson SC (87mm pulley, otherwise 100% stock), 91 Octane Pump, 3.90s on stock tires

OTT S/C Tune 90mm pulley vs 87mm pulley vs 84mm pulley

2nd Generation Toyota Tacoma Dyno Results
    2014 Toyota Tacoma, DCSB, 4.0L Auto. 76K miles (100% Stock), 91 Octane Pump.

OTT Calibration:
    2G_Stock-vs-OTT.jpg

2015 Toyota Tacoma, DCSB, 4.0L Auto, 91 Octane Pump. Modifications included the Magnuson S/C unit, 2.7" Pulley, K&N Airfilter in OEM airbox, 4.88 gears and 34" BFG KO2's. Baseline is the Factory TRD S/C Calibration.
    Notes: All runs performed with gear lock tune in 3rd gear. Vehicle had a very clogged Air filter. Picked up 20hp replacing it as seen in the green run.

Misc. Dyno Data/Results found in the attachments below:

- 2005-2015 Toyota Tacoma info: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-dyno-testing-by-overland-tailor-tuning-ott.759616/

- 2010-2022 Toyota 4Runner info: https://www.4runners.com/threads/overland-torque-tune-ott-by-overland-tailor.27827/

- 2010-2022 Toyota 4Runner Magnuson S/C info: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-overland-tailor.759590/page-60#post-29000546

- 2008-2023 Lexus GX460 info.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-overland-tailor.759590/page-53#post-28697199

- Independently Tested 2015 Tacoma 6sp M/T, Supercharged w/ a host of bolt-ons.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/1gr-fe-f-i-mods-and-dynos.465243/page-8#post-26010874

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  3. Mar 20, 2022 at 2:30 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off-road DCLB
    OV Tuned, Bilstein TRD Pro lift, ECGS bushing, Heated Clazzio's, RCI SKID TRILOGY, BAMF sliders, ARE V-Series shell, RokBlokz flaps, more to come
    Dang. Actual data from 2000 rpm up. 2GT tunes look beastly. Also really cool to see the 2GT/3GT comparison. Haven’t seen that before.

Nice work! :hattip:

4. Mar 20, 2022 at 2:32 PM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    I will say I am running one of Justin’s tunes on my 2nd gen and I absolutely love it!

hilux30, Rambob00, Boltripper and 2 others like this.
  5. Mar 20, 2022 at 2:47 PM
    JustDSM

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Thank you sir! I was just as shocked with the 2nd Gen results myself. Was prepared to be disappointed with how aggressively the ignition timing is mapped on the N/A calibration. I am floored with the result. I'm looking forward to getting our 3rd Gen results re-done to address the issues we had initially.

BTW: Adrenaline was a great group of folks. I think we'll be doing more development there FYI.
    I appreciate your support over the years! And I'll get that file you requested over shortly.

HRC4, Boltripper, RedLantern and 2 others like this.
  6. Mar 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    PNWTacoma

PNWTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PDX 3rd party OV Tuner
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro | 2017 TRD OR DCLB (sold)
    PNW Adventures & PNW Tuning
    Solid data from true calibrators. Glad to be offering your tunes in the NW.

Rambob00, TRDRed, NuckTrutz and 2 others like this.
  7. Mar 21, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    It’s a Pleasure to be a part of the network and to be able to offer your tunes on Oahu, HI! We got happy truck owners on Oahu running your calibrations! It’s nice to show things visually with the data provided. Keep up the good work!

Rambob00, alwaysHI, hemitruk and 2 others like this.
  8. Mar 21, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    JustDSM

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    It's a pleasure to have both of you (and others!) as part of our network.

We are looking forward to continuing our mission to share data with the Toyota community in effort inform and educate. Stay tuned for data on additional platforms.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  9. Mar 21, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    MGMTACOMAPDX

MGMTACOMAPDX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TACOMA TRD SPORT
    Fab Fours Front and Rear Bumpers. 33” tires. 3.5 Rough Country lift. Body mount chop. OV Tuned.
    Just got my 2020 Tacoma OTT Tuned! I am super satisfied with the tune. I’m at 50k miles and I waited too long for this. No more gear hunting and the throttle response is beyond great! Shoutout to PNW_TUNDRA for the tune! If you live in the PNW hit him up!

A851F48D-4AA1-41F1-B162-1177F59C081B.jpg

10. Mar 21, 2022 at 6:50 PM
    LstMinutePanic

LstMinutePanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tacoma OR DCLB AT
    Great data, and an equally amazing tune. I recently had a customer test drive three separate tunes, and he easily chose Overland Tailor Torque tune (OTT) for his set up.

That's one of the nice things about being able to offer multiple tune options. I get to help the customer find the tune that's right for them instead of trying to convince the customer to like the one tune that I am "exclusive" to. 2016 TRD OR, 6 speed MT, 3 inch lift, 33 inch tires.

PXL_20220227_022805398~4.jpg

11. Mar 21, 2022 at 7:26 PM
    JustDSM

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Thank you for trusting OTT and your tuner with your truck! It makes us happy you're happy!

Thank you for the kind words!

While we worked hard at putting together what we believe was a very versatile and solid performing tune, sometimes the end user has a different need or preference. We also believe in having the end user be able to find what works best for them, even if it ends up not being our work. Thank you for giving your client the opportunity to try OTT!

Good looking truck!

12. Mar 22, 2022 at 5:54 AM
    dave82at

dave82at Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ontario/Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    Tuned
    Being part of the Toyota Tuning Network allows us to offer various tunes for multiple vehicles. This helps to educate our customers of the pro's and con's so that they can select the best option for their truck. There is not a one fits all.

Justin and John (Boltripper) are truly great to work with. Their extensive knowledge in tuning shows in the safe and reliable tunes they provide.

The owner of this Manual 2nd gen was stocked how the OTT tune woke up his truck, reducing the rev hang between shifts and giving him much more torque throughout the whole powerband.

PXL_20220320_212710347.jpg

13. Mar 22, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    SunRunner

SunRunner Rub some dirt on it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 ORLB
    Great looking long bed :thumbsup:

14. Mar 22, 2022 at 11:22 AM
    HRC4

HRC4 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro MT
    URD short shift kit 265 75 16 Goodyear Duratrac's
    I have a 2020 MT Pro (basically stock with 265/75-16 Duratracs and sliders) and am running OTT.. I know us manual guys are quite rare these days, and tend to fall in the shadows of the auto guys when it comes to tuning because there just aren’t enough of us to justify the time and effort it takes for developing MT specific tunes.. (yes they do require different calibrations) For that reason I have been giving my input on all different tunes available over the past 2 years to help provide any info to develop the best tuning available.. I’m by no means a professional drivability tech, but I have the sense to know what works well and what can be better or improved.

I have tried the OV 2.0, KDMax (XXT), Coyoza (MT) KDMax (XXT) and now OTT 7.0 in that order.. every tune (except for going back to KXMax after Coyoza) has been an improved step in the right direction. Every one was better than the stock feeling, but without a doubt the OTT has been the best overall.

It makes the 3.5 feel so much more refined, and with added torque right where they need it most, right off the bottom. I tend to lug instead of rev it, and this tune fits that for me well. It will pull right off the bottom, coming off the clutch from a stop, almost without any throttle at all (try doing that in a stock truck) and it puts great torque down while climbing a grade as well. I run the light throttle setting so the pedal isn’t too sensitive or twitchy, especially when in low range, and it feels fantastic..!

If you have a manual 3rd Gen, hands down this tune is what you want to drive.

15. Mar 22, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    Boltripper

Boltripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road Access Cab A/T in MGM
    Khaya Camper with Custom Mods - BP-51's, 4.88's, 33's', Dissent Offroad Front and Rear with Bud Built on the sides...
    Thanks so much for the feedback. We’ve found some nice changes for the manual trucks that really help out with the overall feel of the manual trans calibrations and you still get the added torque and power the truck needs.

Thanks again-

HRC4[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 22, 2022 at 1:31 PM
    PNWTacoma

PNWTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PDX 3rd party OV Tuner
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro | 2017 TRD OR DCLB (sold)
    PNW Adventures & PNW Tuning
    Seattle/Bellevue, I'll be hosting a tuning day/meet & greet at The Toyota Garage (IG: @TheToyotaGarage) behind Michaels Toyota of Bellevue. Come hang out or make a tune appointment to join in on the OTT fun!

upload_2022-3-22_13-31-17.jpg

17. Mar 22, 2022 at 1:57 PM
    cemented

cemented Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO Cement AT Maggy 87mm
    Seattle two-fer. I will be there Saturday 3/26/22

DD64F542-5B2D-4D72-BBCD-349142A0AA50.jpg

JustDSM[OP] and PNWTacoma like this.
  18. Mar 22, 2022 at 5:08 PM
    Ashgh

Ashgh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashkan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-road
    Great tune. Running g on my 3rd gen. Power and is so much more natural and feels great to drive.

19. Mar 22, 2022 at 6:26 PM
    Bagelmobile

Bagelmobile Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Rd
    I've been running this since the end of February. Masteryota tuned it.

So far I'm really happy.
    My city MPG is a bit worst probably because of more aggressive driving. Highway MPG is about the same.
    A nice linear power ramp. With no stupid down shifts or upshifts.
    I probably should of went with mild. When I'm on bumpy terrain it's hard to keep my foot steady on the accelerator and end up no so smooth. I've learned to control it better now though.

20. Mar 23, 2022 at 2:24 PM
    BlackburnPete

BlackburnPete Blackburn Pete

Member:
    Blackburn Hamlet, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC MT Black
    I have a manual 6 speed as well. Since I am not a race car driver, I just expect my truck to move when I push the pedal. I have just had my engine tuned by YotaTune with the Overlander tune and I am loving it. YotaTune has been very patient and generous with me. I started with KDMAX about a year ago and since then, Dave at Yotatune has provided updates and allowed me to try out some other tunes as well (Coyoza), but I am currently happiest with the Overlander updated version. At first, he gave me a medium response on my throttle, but I asked him to pump that up to a more aggressive setting. I like to feel the truck jump into action promptly when requested. I haven't really given it much of a chance to get better mileage as I tend to push it a bit harder with the extra power, especially around town. I am looking forward to the spring thaw to get off the streets and into the woods. In fact, I might just close up this laptop and go for a drive right now!

2017 TRD OR ACLB V6 3.5L 4x4 6MT

rack1.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top