1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OverlaNERD's Home away from home

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Overlanerd, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Oct 16, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Then you want the fraternal twin version that keeps the bed, like @Iggy 's: Thread here
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 17, 2017 at 4:32 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Very familiar with that one as well. ;)

3. Oct 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    Overlanerd

Overlanerd [OP] Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    T4RFTMFW, rob1208, tacomgee and 4 others like this.
  4. Oct 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    duvinclunk

duvinclunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    This is why I wouldn’t buy the calendar. I like to see cool trucks in cool places.

5. Oct 17, 2017 at 9:04 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Tables have turned

6. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    rockymtnbushwacker

rockymtnbushwacker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    Stock TRD
    I tried to PM so I thought I would try this. Can you please provide the contact info for the tent portion of the camper? I have a quote from the camper manufacturer that doesn't include the tent.

Thanks!,
    John

Overlanerd[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    Check my response on my build thread. @Overlanerd and I are working on a solution for complete campers.

8. Oct 22, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    @Overlanerd - Do you have an idea how much weight you saved (or added) by changing from Toyota bed + Flippac to flatbed + custom shell? If it is significant, then this is another selling point for it besides having a lot more interior room...

9. Oct 22, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    As @Iggy mentioned in his build thread, the manufacturer is not offering a complete product. The local upholstery shop had my truck for one week and still struggled.

We'll keep everyone updated with the solution.

The setup is lighter than the 4WC/ Toyota bed, but heavier than the Flippac setup. I really don't have an apples to apples comparison. I was at 6,700 lbs with the 4wc/ Toyota bed with a swingout and pizza cutters (fully loaded, ready to camp). Now I don't currently have a swingout and am running heavier 35's. I'll get weighed when I build out.

Dry weight was 5,100 lbs with the flatbed and 5,600 with the camper on pizza cutters.

Please keep in mind that I have plate bumpers, winch with a steel cable, full set of steel skids, sliders, and all weigh- ins included a full tank of gas.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    JasonLee[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 22, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Just want to mention that, although the campers we have are fully functional, they are prototypes. We now know how to improve them. Both for function and aesthetics.

If anyone is interested in getting a bed- mounted camper, similar to Iggy's, PM me or @Iggy your email address and we'll keep you updated with developments.

11. Oct 22, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    rockymtnbushwacker

rockymtnbushwacker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    Stock TRD
    Thank you Phil!

12. Oct 23, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    drftsub

drftsub Sale Forum Lurker

Member:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 200 Series Land Cruiser
    What about the flatbed option? is that a one time deal or will it maybe one day make it to production?

I am considering a few different flatbed options for the future, including fabbing one utilizing an alu canopy w a rtt so I can pop it off at camp if I am "basecamping" . I am super interested in your setup though if it will be available later.

13. Oct 23, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    It's definitely a consideration. More like a goal. We have many steps to take before getting to that point.

I personally don't like the idea of taking it off at camp. You have to transfer the spare, trail tools, unbolt the camper, and leave it sitting on jacks. Our tops lower and latch in about 2 minutes. The idea is breaking down camp so fast that it makes more sense to take it with you. Plus, the truck rides horrible without the extra weight, if you have springs designed to handle the load.

IMG_6823.jpg

ETAV8R, rob1208, EDDO and 4 others like this.
  14. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:28 AM
    12thmanhawkfan

12thmanhawkfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6-speed
    It's got some Mods
    Very neat build. Subd so I can fantasize about having a camper like yours some day.

15. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:29 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    You should come to CA so you can rub up against it when Phil isn't looking.

Edit: Or when he is looking.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  16. Oct 24, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    drftsub

drftsub Sale Forum Lurker

Member:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 200 Series Land Cruiser
    For sure , if I had one of these setups it would be a close up and roll situation. I am more thinking along the lines of if I stuck with a RTT, and moved to a canopy.

Ill keep an eye out for your setup to go on market for sure, keep me on the list if you need beta #2 for another flatbed :)

17. Oct 29, 2017 at 3:15 AM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Just realized that I joined Expedition Portal 10 years ago, shortly after acquiring the Fourwheel camper for my Scout. The camper didn't have lift struts and popping up the first half of the roof was always easier than the second. I thought of modifying it to be a simple "clamshell" back then, but just dealt with it. I was stronger in those days...

IMG_0503.jpg

Then came the Tacoma and Flippac in 2011 & 2012, respectively. I saw a Flippac ad in Petersens 4wd around 1993, and always wanted one. It felt good to make that dream a reality. Inclement weather seems to follow me and the soft roof was no match for the situations we encountered.

In November of 2015, @Iggy and I started chatting about building campers and never stopped.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/norcal-spotted-and-bs-thread.53517/page-2111#post-11072589

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/norcal-spotted-and-bs-thread.53517/page-2114#post-11089096

I was sidetracked by the purchase of a Fourwheel Camper in February of 2016. It was heavy, but fit my "hard roof" preference.

Iggy approached me in late 2016 and we started solidifying a plan. We came up with a basic concept utilizing a clamshell style opening. Then Iggy refined the concept and created a working design. Pictures from his post in December of 2016.

IMG_0501.jpg IMG_0502.jpg

I Sold the Fourwheel Camper, around the same time in December when Iggy already had his in production, and followed suit.

So the new unit is the culmination of my never ending popup camper beta testing, Iggy's ingenuity, and our desire to make them better. And there's still room for improvement.

Just wanted to share an honest "Origin Story" and let you know that this took years of experience, and many hours of planning to actually happen. It didn't just popup overnight.

Pun intended.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  18. Jan 30, 2018 at 1:26 AM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Haven't updated here in quite some time. And in that time, quite a few things have changed:
    • Sold the camper to @jonburtt :eek:
    • Installed his bed and Pelfreybilt bumper & swingout.
    • Switched to BAMF HD shackle hangers and prototype shackles.
    • Sold the camper... shit- I already said that. Can't believe I did that...
    • Installed some black fender flares to match the rear Bushwackers that came with the bed. I may change those out to OEM black flares.
    • Had the front bumper powdercoated and finally installed the replacement winch that's been sitting in my garage for about one year.
    ABFC50B4-B499-4FDA-B234-6130003BB8A1.jpg

A3D25CAA-3957-4731-9193-5FD6C99AC97C.jpg

135CD24D-EC85-438B-84B7-425222E0F493.jpg

Why did I sell the camper? You may have heard that @Iggy and I will be selling campers soon. :gossip: They will sit on the factory beds and it makes the most sense to rock the product were selling. It was a tough choice, but it won't be a huge compromise since our campers will be pretty damn spacious inside. It will be a great addition to the truck.

Since mounting the Fourwheel Camper on the Scout in 2006-ish, countless people have approached me at gas stations, campgrounds, parking lots, and on the trail. The question often was, "Where can I get one of those?" It happened with the Scout, the Flippac, the 2nd Fourwheel Camper, and the V1.1 (not sure about that title) that Jon now has. It's going to be a GIGANTIC relief to hand them a card and direct them to our website. And, unless I'm in a hurry, I'll likely give folks a tour on the spot. I can already imagine my daughters rolling their eyes...

Popup campers have been a passion of mine for many years. Probably an obsession. Yeah... definitely an obsession. From solo camping, to making a comfortable shelter to coerce the wife to come along in winter, to accommodating a child, then another child, to wheeling more difficult trails. All while keeping the Tierra Del Fuego/ South American dream trip on the backburner. It's a tough balance to fit all of these requirements into one camper, but I think we've got this. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    ebbs15, Anderson, HomerTaco and 26 others like this.
  19. Jan 30, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Definately looking forward to what you guys offer.

Keep us 1st gen guys in mind. Even if it's the same size camper that can mount onto a 1st gen.

I've been thinking if I go the pop up route, which I very much want to do, I would like something that will fit a 1st gen but with some possible mods to the mounts would also fit on 2nd gen.

Edit: What do you think of something like this? But mounted to the frame instead of a flat bed? And a little lower by having wheel wells built into it. And maybe instead of a pop top like that a wedge shaped pop top?
    https://www.tommycampers.com.au/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  20. Jan 30, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    ScenicCityOverland

ScenicCityOverland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange Tacoma TRD Pro
    I've been watching Iggy's build for a while. I can't wait to see what you guys release! Maybe enough to have me sell my trailer and RTT...

Overlanerd[OP] and otis24 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top