1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OverlaNERD's Home away from home

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Overlanerd, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    So.... Awesome....

Those 35s almost look small with all of that room in the rear fender! Perfect build man, good work!

How do you like the 4.88s now that you've run them for a bit? Still pick them over 4.56 if you could do it again?

Overlanerd[OP] likes this.
  2. Jul 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    Overlanerd

Overlanerd [OP] Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    Thanks! Yeah, the fenders are big. Actually, the inner well is smaller than stock, but the opening is larger. Also, my rear is sitting way too high right now. It should come down 1-1/2" after the shackle reflip.

4.88's feel too low for a 6-speed. RPM's are really high (2700 @ 65mph) with the lower manual trans OD gears. However, I've only done light trails with the 35's and 4.88's. My tune may change after the first wheeling trip next month.

Around town they are awesome. Uphill freeway onramps used to be an issue between 3rd and 4th gear. Not an issue at all now. Stop and go traffic is way more doable since I can go slower in 2nd gear. There's a pretty big gap between 1st and 2nd.

The most significant benefit is that I don't have to feather the clutch to flex on those bitch-ass parking blocks at the mall.

EDDO, Nickel, Iggy and 6 others like this.
  3. Jul 27, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    Sounds like you need one of these :D

Any other reasons you're switching back to regular shackles?

4. Jul 27, 2017 at 1:03 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    What makes you think I don't already have one ;)

Switching back for a few reasons:

1. Ride comfort.
    2. To gain back some up travel. You basically trade down travel for up travel with a shackle flip. At the shock (haven't measured at the wheel) I have 12" of shock travel and 11" of spring travel. The bump spacers are limiting up travel about 1", so it's actually less right now. After the reflip, @Bentrodder and I (mostly him since I can't weld) will re-clock the lower shock mounts to eliminate the bump spacers. We'll leave about 1/2" to 1" of cushion in the shock on the compression side. The shocks should top out right at the end of the spring travel on the extension side. I'm not too worried since it only goes to full extension at slow speeds. I've accounted for compression of the Wheelers Super Bumps.
    3. Spring will not be as inverted on compression.
    4. To drop dat azz. I don't want to break down my custom Alcan springs to lower the rear. They are fine with the weight and will ride even better with the reflip.

EDDO, Nickel, Gply and 3 others like this.
  5. Aug 2, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    OutbackHack

OutbackHack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Do you have plans for roof rack crossbars using the L-track on your roof?

Wondering if fabricating something like what AT does on their Habitat is the way to go, or if anyone sells something that would work as well.
    H01b.jpg

Overlanerd[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 2, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    I do. Still trying to figure it out. Currently have stud- mount and female 3/8" thread L-track fittings in the garage. Not sure if I'm going to put some rise on it, for an upside down canoe, or put it at the L-Track level and get Thule or Yakima canoe mounts. I probably won't use it for wheeling though due to obvious clearance issues. It will be fine either way for winter since it's either snow or desert with no overhead clearance issues.

I'll mostly use it to transport bamboo stakes and 1/2" pvc pipe to my house from Home Depot for Pinterest projects...

Anderson, rob1208, EDDO and 2 others like this.
  7. Aug 2, 2017 at 10:35 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    @OutbackHack Saw yours on Monday. Looking good! It keeps getting better. You're overhang is (2) stacked 1-1/2" by 1" tubes that run the full length of the camper. Really solid.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    OutbackHack and Iggy like this.
  8. Aug 4, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    @Overlanerd When my girlfriend and I am back in the bay area, could we meet up sometime at your convenience to check out your setup? We can bring you fancy beer or wine to help convince you to share 30-60 min of your time.

9. Aug 4, 2017 at 9:21 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Of course! I just replied to your quote on Expo. Easier to catch me on TW though...

Ridgeline001 likes this.
  10. Aug 26, 2017 at 5:16 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Fantastic build. :thumbsup:

:popcorn:

Overlanerd[OP] and Bentrodder like this.
  11. Aug 26, 2017 at 1:21 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Thank you!

HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 29, 2017 at 12:44 AM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Some upgrades in the last few weeks:

@Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Got it a few months ago and finally installed it.

IMG_9282.jpg

Mounted some crap port side. Temporary until my old rear swingout is modified and installed.

IMG_9286.jpg IMG_9287.jpg

I think the mount is also @Pelfreybilt. Bought it from @jberry813 months ago.

Got some UCA's from @tacomgee since he got all fancy with long travel. The Dirtkings interfered with the 35's. Didn't want to run spacers.

Also Kings.

IMG_9316.jpg

Worked great on the Slickrock trail a few weekends ago.

IMG_9352.jpg

Total poser shot, but I actually ran the trail.

And this happened.

IMG_9451.jpg

3 steps forward + 1 step back = 2 steps forward. Or the samba. Can't remember from that class my wife dragged me to years ago.

Also, action shots from Slickrock by @stroM-. Awesome video. Go to www.alteregoadventure.com and git some swag!

13. Aug 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Is that your second mangled drive shaft?

I see one thing missing on your truck.

14. Aug 29, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    I didn't see it mentioned but do see that there are small decals on the lower corner from the manufacturer. Exactly the company that I thought was involved with this. Only heard good things about Tradesman.

15. Aug 29, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    I just noticed that as well. The cat is out of the bag, I guess. I haven't seen an update in @Iggy 's thread about progress with Tradesman rounding up some contractors to do the sewing and such to finish up the sourcing of the non-metal work, so I'll still hold off on contacting them.

16. Aug 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    This is 100% correct. Still working on details with them.

17. Aug 29, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Oops. Yeah, what @Iggy said. I've told people via PM or DM on ig, plus many people have seen it at meets or camping. Or in the mall parking lot.

They're not ready for wide release. Soon.

18. Aug 29, 2017 at 8:59 PM
    OutbackHack

OutbackHack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Guess I didn't need to debadge mine then. :rolleyes: (although technically that was so I could paint it)

19. Aug 31, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    I3uller

I3uller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Too far South
    Question regarding the 6 speed and 35's....I read a little about how you regeared but is a regear necessary with the 6 speed on 315's? I have read about the autos getting really hot but wasn't sure if the manuals had the same gearing/issues. Not too many folks have manuals so I'm hoping to get some insight. Incredible custom camper on that thing too...very nicely done.

20. Aug 31, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Thank you!

Yeah, gearing is not necessary for the street. It is nice for stop and go traffic though. Totally driveable with 35's and the 6-speed. No problem for fire roads. For technical sections off-road, I think it's necessary. You can only feather the clutch so much. 4.88's are a little low for my preference. I'm not sure that I would have noticed a significant difference between them and 4.56's at Slickrock a few weeks ago. RPM's would be a lot lower on the freeway though. For mountain driving under 65 mph, the 4.88's are awesome.

My truck will get heavier. +/- 500 lbs. I'm adding my old swingout and interior cabinets. The 4.88's will probably be more appreciated then.

Products Discussed in

To Top