1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OverlaNERD's Home away from home

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Overlanerd, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Sep 1, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    I3uller

I3uller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Too far South
    My truck is definitely heavy, has the camper shell with the all steel rear swing out plus the front aluminum with a winch, a built in wood sleeping deck, etc etc. but even then I find 1st gear almost totally useless on the street. I mainly drive on the streets as it is a DD but I also like wheeling to get places I want to get to. I may just do the 35's and see how it feels and go from there. I was mainly concerned with the transmission oil temperatures that a lot of guys seem to get with 35's but sounds like the manuals don't have too much of an issue with that from your experience. May just go to the 4.56's for some off-roading, I feel like the .88's may be a little too low for most of what I do. Also looking at trying 295's so may just go that route too but I don't want to go that way and forever be wanting 35's haha

2. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    STravis

STravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ruidoso, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    Do you have any rubbing on your rear shocks with the BAMF relocate and the 4" bs wheels?

3. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    Castle

Castle Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Bumpers,lockers, gears, lift...
    Awesome build, pretty cool watching your truck evolve! The Scout was pretty sweet too. Ive got one in my garage.

Overlanerd[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    Overlanerd

Overlanerd [OP] Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    No rubbing so far. I do have a bump spacer though. Once the lower shock mounts are reclocked, the spacers will come out and I'll have to check for rubbing when the wheel is stuffed.

5. Sep 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    Thank you!

Awesome that you have a Scout. I hope to have one back in my garage one day. I'd probably make it my "classic car" instead of a wheeling rig. No time for that right now though!

6. Sep 11, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Are you going to be at Horizons Unlimited? I spy a similar setup on the left...

[​IMG]

7. Sep 11, 2017 at 11:28 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Looks cool. Mostly motos and I don't ride...so probably not. That's an Alucab I believe.

8. Sep 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    duvinclunk

duvinclunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    Subd. Great build!

9. Sep 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Thanks! Wish I had time to finish it. It will be a slow process.

10. Sep 26, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Forgot to post this here. Sorry about the Dutched camera angle ;)

11. Sep 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    That camper is so fracking awesome.

12. Sep 26, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    Trucko

Trucko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    arb bull bar Smittybulit 9.5 winch topper shell with yakima basket piaa lights toytec boss coilovers Dakar leaf pack with boss shocks 28/75/16 bfg at ko2 Midland CB Home made trailer with CVT Mount Rainer tent and max coupler hitch
    how did you build up the inside of it. any pictures

Overlanerd[OP] and nDub like this.
  13. Sep 26, 2017 at 7:07 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Thank you!

Not yet. No time this summer. I hope to have it done before winter.

14. Sep 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Thanks for making and posting this! Do you have a teardown time-lapse? I haven't even taken the Flippac out camping yet, but have opened/closed it several times in the street outside my house to practice and I can see getting annoyed with tucking in the tent when it's raining after slipping off the top of the rear tire when standing on it and so on...

15. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    I don't have a tear down time lapse yet. Probably twice as long. So maybe 2 or 3 minutes ;)

Flippac breakdown isn't that bad. I think the "no tucking fabric" award goes to the 4wc due to the short fabric length. Fan on reverse also sucked in the fabric. But then you have 6 latches, so it takes the same amount of time as this setup.

I'm also using the fan in reverse to suck in most of the fabric. Sometimes it's a minor issue at the front, but I can pull it in while lowering the roof from the inside.

16. Sep 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    Doesn't your MGM twin have an elastic cord going around the middle to pull it in, kinda like a belt?

17. Sep 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    Overlanerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    Yeah, but @Iggy took it off. I think it was wearing slightly on the fabric. I'll probably store some shock cord so I can put it on in windy conditions. I camped in a windy spot 3 weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all. Wife and kids may not like though.

tyfoon11[QUOTED] and Iggy like this.
  18. Oct 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Nice! You don't really need the time lapse it's so fast!

All you need now is a turbo diesel under the hood....time to move to Oregon!

19. Oct 16, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Yes. Neat shit. :cool:
    I'd like similar but not to replace the whole bed.
    Awesome build tho.

Overlanerd[OP], otis24 and Blackout14 like this.
  20. Oct 16, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I always thought Pandas were dicks...but wow!

A panda bear walks into a bar and orders a sandwich.
    The waiter brings him the sandwich. The panda bear eats it, pulls out a pistol, kills the waiter, and gets up and starts to walk out. The bartender yells for him to stop.

The panda bear asks, “What do you want?”
    The bartender replies, “First you come in here, order food, kill my waiter, then try to go without paying for your food.”
    The panda bear turns around and says, “Hey! I’m a Panda. Look it up!”
    The bartender goes into the back room and looks up panda bear in the encyclopedia, which read:

“Panda: a bear-like marsupial originating in Asian regions. Known largely for it’s stark black and white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves.”

Anderson, Silver02Taco, EDDO and 5 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top