1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overloading Vitamin C

Discussion in 'Health' started by RockLobster1106, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    RockLobster1106

RockLobster1106 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 4wd
    I recently cut myself surfing pretty badly and have been reading about the benefits of Vitamin C and repairing of connective tissue. Any thoughts? Suggestions? I have been taking daily vitamins which have 333% the daily recommended value and today picked up 1000 mg tablets that have 1800% the daily recommended value. So im about 2000% over daily recommended value. This is more of an experiment for myself to see if this will help my body heal faster. What do you guys think? http://www.healthy.co.nz/ailment/2084-vitamin-c-antioxidant-connective-tissue-wound-healing.html

2. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    jalapenos have ridiculous amounts of vitamin c.

id rather get most my vitamins from healthy food than all the pills youre loading up on.

3. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    That is fine. Just be sure to eat a very healthy diet with a lot of variety and balance. It depends on the type of connective tissue. Some heal very slowly and some (like blood vessels and blood) heal fast.

There aren't miracle vitamins out there, but just like fertilizer with plants, it can help give you a boost with the right amounts.

4. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    You're fine. Vitamin C is not an oil based vitamin, any excess will pass through your urine. Oil based vitamins like Vitamin A you can O.D. on. Once I took double the dose of Vit A and I got a blazing headache. Vit C you're all good.

5. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    this is true, any fat soluble vitamins can be dangerous if you take too much. with water soluble youll just piss out the biproducts and extra vitamins

you can load up all you want on Vit C but your body can only absorb so much, you can maybe look up absorption aides for Vit C, i do not know of any, i do know that you would be better off taking say... 50mg of Vit C 8 times a day, lets say every 3 hours, than taking 500mg all at once

6. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    whatever your body doesnt need of vit C, it'll come out in the form of urine :p

7. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Once upon a time, I used to do mega vitamins under the supervision of a trained physician. Every 6 months I under went urine, blood and hair analysis. Urine for what I was 'throwing off', blood for what was being absorbed and hair for what was being 'stored.'

Regarding some of the things you mentioned... Too much vitamin C can contribute towards kidney stones, too much vitamin A can be toxic.

I did that for many of my formative years (my parents were freaks :)) - My mom managed health food stores.

Since those years my primary physicians have included nutrition focused doctors. The consistent message that I have heard from them is to "Eat a colorful plate of food every time you eat." They also support one multi-vitamin per day.

8. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    anyhow vitamins will not fix a connective tissue incident. You would benefit most from alot of good protein and amino acids. Basically eat healthy, lay off alcohol & smokes, and get good rest. Simple as that.

9. Sep 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    RockLobster1106

RockLobster1106 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 4wd
    thanks for the input everyone. I have been eating very well with lots of fruits and veggies but I do need to eat more dietary protein, I have been drinking protein shakes though. Maybe I will just chop the pill in half and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon.

Do you guys take your supplements before bed, because in theory wouldn't your body absorb more due to not urinating for 8 hours or so?

10. Oct 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    There are a lot of things that can affect how your body absorbs a particular nutrient. That is why variety and a random menu (not eating the same thing every day) is good.

For example, Vitamin C enhances iron absorption (but iron will only be absorbed when it is needed). Calcium inhibits iron absorption. There are a lot of antagonists and protagonists.

Just relax. Don't worry about it. Stress also slows healing. haha

11. Oct 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Oh and no it has nothing to do with urination.

MANY factors affect absorption. Too many to list.

Products Discussed in

To Top