1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overspray

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hillbillytoyo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 doublecab 4x4
    TRD FJ Cruiser Wheels, Mickey Thompson STZ's 265 75 16s, Tinted glass, Undercover bed cover, Exact Fit Endura Seat Covers Front & Rear Husky Liners
    I work in a coal preparation plant and there have been some painters painting the inside fir about 2 months. It was my turn to drive last saturday because me and some guys carpool together. There were 2 trucks inthe parking lot my Tacoma and another guys 3 month old red Tundra TRD. After we left I noticed what liiked like dust on my windshield when I hit the washer fluid and wipers it didn't come off. When I got home I then saw that there was white paint all over my truck, both sides front and rear and top. I washed my truck right then with hot water and dried it then proceded to wax but the paint wasn't coming off. I talked to the plant manager and he assured me the paint company would fix it or he would hold it out of there check. Here is what I am concerned about. The black plastic on my fenders and my undercover bed cover. Can they buff plastic? I need some feedback, I am going back to work tommorow. And the Tundra got covered too.

2. Jul 30, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Idk if they can buff that out but they should buy you a new one. I'm sorry to hear that man, that really sucks. Good luck with everything

3. Jul 30, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    They may use a solvent to lossen the overspray on the plastic. I had a can of spray paint explode next to my truck and I used paint thinner to remove it. The paint was every where.

4. Jul 30, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    You can't buff the black plastics. This would result in white staining that we all try to avoid when polishing our trucks.

Solvent might be one method, depending on if the paint is lacquer or two-component, but the longer you wait the harder it will be to remove.

Take it to a body shop and get an estimate for the repairs, so that all parties involved are on the same page as to the cost.

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Clay bar will take care of the paint and glass. Plastic parts, use mineral spirits. It won't dissolve the plastic. Make sure you wash off the spirits promptly and put protectant on it.
    I work at a shipyard. The overspray is constantly getting me. Clay and the spray lube that it comes with will do the trick.
    It is a diy job, just time consuming.
    A car cover is in order there;)

6. Jul 30, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I almost forgot. Gasoline will most likely take the paint right off your truck, the overspay i mean. It won't harm your origional paint. Gasoline works wonders.

7. Jul 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Yes the clay bar is your best bet. I got bedliner overspray all over my truck, the paint felt like sandpaper when I washed it. I had the over spray for 3 weeks and the clay bar still removed it all. Only thing is that it took me like 4 hours but well worth it.

8. Jul 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    jcox10

jcox10 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    10 DC Sport, Black, Debadged
    Debadged
    Something similar happened to my car at work a few years ago. They were painting the new building, and the overspray floated into the parking garage...got hundreds of cars. They had a company come and fix the cars...they just did a clay bar and wax on the paint. For the plastic, they had some type of black paint that they sprayed on the plastic, it lasted fine for years until i traded the car in.

So your best bet is clay bar. Kerosene is a bit better than gasoline at removing junk from the paint that won't come off. WD-40 works well too. Just be careful after using a solvent, it can make the clear coat slightly soft for a while (don't dig your finger nail into it).

You may want to check out http://www.autopia.org/ in the forums and tutorials...more than you ever wanted to know about paint care.

9. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 doublecab 4x4
    TRD FJ Cruiser Wheels, Mickey Thompson STZ's 265 75 16s, Tinted glass, Undercover bed cover, Exact Fit Endura Seat Covers Front & Rear Husky Liners
    The paint company sent some people today to fix our trucks. They used the clay bar on the paint but said they couldn't do anything about the plactic fender flares or the bed cover. I'm a little afarid to try the mineral spirits, I hear it is some pretty nasty stuff.

To Top