1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overwhelmed By Suspension Options

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by AgingDisgracefully, May 14, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    fortis44

fortis44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB Black
    OME Nitros, 888s, HD Dakars, 285s
    You should get 1" lift in the front with the Pro suspension. No difference in the back

2. May 16, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    GI_Taco

GI_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Halann
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    BLK 2016 TRD OR manual
    Only 1in supposedly.

3. May 16, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    AgingDisgracefully

AgingDisgracefully [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4
    I called my dealership about the TRD suspension kit. Still waiting on labor quote, but the parts gave me sticker shock.

4. May 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado, Africa, Europe, Asia, Middle-East,
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    So there are two lines of thought here, in part due to the specific use of the shocks and the stigma behind them.

The person buying Kings is likely an enthusiast and will be doing some heavy offroad and is under the expectation that they need rebuilt every 30k-50k. Regardless of how those shocks are used, that person will likely rebuild at 30k-50k because thats what you do. This is basically considered preventative maintenance and if the shock is used to its full potential should occur in order to prevent other issues.

An OME or Bilstein shock is a traditional shock and thus people treat them like a traditional shock in that they buy them with no expectation of maintenance or replacement until failure. Really these shocks should also undergo preventative maintenance which is full replacement but that is expensive and inconvenient which is why people push them to 75k-90k.

The oil in shocks is relatively the same and breaks down just like normal oil under varies conditions. The degradation is slow an often unnoticeable until you replace/rebuild a shock.

If you took a set of King shocks and a set of Bilstein shocks and used them the exact same way, their liftspan would be exactly the same. Meaning, I can push my King shocks as far as an OME shock without rebuilding, but why would I? It's only $100 to rebuild a shock and I reduce the risk of total shock failure.

5. May 16, 2018 at 9:08 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WD DCSB Gray
    Joe, I have to disagree a bit with you here.

Oil degradation is just one portion of shock failure, and a minor one at that. The biggest culprit is seal failure, next is component failure and then comes oil.

If you took a set of Kings and Bilstein and used them the exact same way, chances are the Bilstein shocks will las a lot longer. Why? Proprietary materials and design for their components.
    King is a small company compared to Bilstein. Bilstein spends more on just R&D in a year than King is worth as a company. Bilstein is just a much better designed and manufactured shock with materials built for reliability and durability.

Not to say King is shabby at all. King is one of the best high performance shocks out there. They can handle the big hits all damn day. But, Bilstein, especially in the 5100 or 6XXX series, is built to go a long time under normal conditions. There is a Big difference in the engineering required to make that happen.

Sort of like comparing a NASCAR Tundra to a stock Tundra. The NASCAR Tundra will outperform the regular Tundra... for 500 miles lol. If the race was for 5000 miles the Regular Tundra would win. One is built for high performance, the other is built for decent performance but also reliability and durability. NASCAR Tundra costs a lot, regular Tundra not so much. This is like comparing King and Bilstein.

6. May 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    flinky

flinky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Sport
    ASTHETICS -Window tint back windows -Clear Tint front to reduce heat -Method NV's Matte Black 16" (reduced from stock 17") -Pro grille - Prinsu Roof Rack - 40" Light Bar Cut Out LIFT -BFG K02's 265/75/R16 -2" lift 2.0 Fox Coil Overs -2.5" lift 2.0 Fox w/ resi (mounted high/ shock stone guard) -Added extra leaf
    I was in a similar situation. I will be doing some offroading but not rock climbing but drive >10 000km highway in a single trip to California (which I do three times a year from Alberta).

I opted for this in my 2017 sport:

2" up front 2.0 Fox Coilovers
    2.5" 2.0 Fox w/ Resi
    added leaf

Tires switched from stock 17" rims to:
    BFG k02's 265/75/R16 (was going to get the Falken Wildpeaks but couldn't get a set in time)
    Method NV rims

Im now getting about 2.5" total lift (maybe a bit more as the tires added about 1" of added height). I also maintained some rake to my truck so that as I add weight to the box and be at least level.

What I found:
    It more than handles the offloading I am doing right now (I'm a surf/Sup/ Mountain biker so service roads, mountain terrain, Moab, but nothing super gnarly like rock climbing or high speed etc.) Drives amazing, even better than before, on the highway and am even getting a bit better gas milage than before (without the leaf and added lift in back I was level or worse so it affected my gas milage...due to weight in back).

Total cost, had a shop do it as I didn't want to risk screwing something up, was:
    For lift + parts+ and shop time (wheel balance etc): somewhere in realm of 2800$ CAD
    Tires + Rims + Shop time: $2000 CAD (sold old tires and rims that only had few 100 kms for $1000CAD)
    KRave Automotive in Calgary did it. THEY ARE AWESOME!!

So far love it! Haven't got a tonne of time on it but its been great so far.

IMG_5019.jpg
    IMG_4922.jpg

7. May 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    Madtown

Madtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Madison,WI
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma OR Quicksand
    Ray10's, Fox TRD Pro suspension
    That's why you buy used take offs. I guy in this thread offered his to you at a very good price FYI. You get one inch height increase up front from them.

8. May 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    Jason TRD OR

Jason TRD OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4
    King suspension w/ compression adjusters. Icon uca. Icon leafs. Demello rock sliders. Bumper Light bar. TRD Skid plate. Pop and lock. Method NV wheels 16". Falken Wildpeak M/T (285/75/16). CMC. Pro grille. Tailgate inlays. A pillar Ditch lights. MBRP Cat Back Turndown Exhaust. Leer 100 XQ shell. Blacked out emblems. Bed Mat. Bed Stiffeners. K&N air filter. BHLM.
    You are correct

9. May 16, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    scottsglock29

scottsglock29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB

Did you adjust your front Fox 2.0 Coil-Overs, or did you just put them on right out of the box. I have the same fronts and rears for that matter; I will be installing in the next week or so.

10. May 16, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    sdsurfer

sdsurfer @ODNAREM M.C., SD Chapter 80085

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    5100s on all four corners. OME 888 coils. Dakar HD leaf pack. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille.
    Hey... WTF are you doing in the 3rd gen thread? Go back to SoCal Thread Squatters... :devil:

11. May 16, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    itaro

itaro Accidental Overland

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    The belly button of O.C. : Buena Park
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Some aluminum bullshit, some steel bullshit, some plastic bullshit, cut some stock bullshit off, replaced it with more expensive bullshit and pinstripes.
    Trying to drop some knowledge :bananadance:

12. May 16, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    sdsurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    5100s on all four corners. OME 888 coils. Dakar HD leaf pack. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille.
    Haha... Just giving you shit. At least you can coexist in the 3rd gen threads without getting into trouble like a some unnamed others (@dtaco06)... :boink:

13. May 16, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    itaro

itaro Accidental Overland

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    The belly button of O.C. : Buena Park
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Some aluminum bullshit, some steel bullshit, some plastic bullshit, cut some stock bullshit off, replaced it with more expensive bullshit and pinstripes.
    Oh trust me, the “how big of a tire can I fit” questions have been trying my patience. Priorities are wrong. If I wanted the OP to break his shit while I laughed I would have told him to just use spacers and blocks.

14. May 16, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    sdsurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I get it. I don't know how many times I :facepalm:while reading threads in here...

itaro likes this.
  15. May 16, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    +1 I've always been a massive Bilstein fanboy, for one they have a factory in my city (San Diego) that has rebuilt old shocks of mine for free, and secondly I used to be really into the BMW scene and Bilstein being German they just went so well together.

I consider Bilstein to be the Toyota of the suspension world. Not always the highest raw performance but like you said, made to LAST.

My first gen tacoma I sold with 165k miles and on original bilsteins! No leaks and thousands of offroad miles it was incredible. My last 2nd gen I sold right here on TW with 125k miles, also tons of offroading and also original shocks. I'm determined to blow out my current stock suspension so I have an excuse to upgrade to the 8112s but so far its handled a ton of abuse!

There is something to be said about massive R&D budgets and as you pointed out both Bilstein and Toyota have the largest R&D budgets in their respective fields.... and it shows. (And yes I'm aware VW spends more than Toyota but IMO I consider Toyota more R&D dedicated because its spread over TWO brands instead of TWELVE like V.A.G.)

People think companies like Kia have "come so far! basically the same as toyota now!" but when I see toyota invest $9 BILLION into R&D last year while Kia commits 1/10th of that I have a hard time believing we won't see different results in quality. Toyota isn't stupid they wouldn't be spending that much $ if it wasn't getting them something tangible in return.

hiPSI likes this.
  16. May 16, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    I'll just post lessons I learned with other 4x4s related to suspension and mods. I didn't do much to my 2nd Generation TRD OR and won't likely tear into my 3rd Generation TRD OR either.

- Armor and recovery plan in the budget first, otherwise we have a pretty vehicle that gets banged up and stuck.
    - Good tires and correct tire pressure and OBA (before or after item 1 above) are real, real nice on a "stocker."
    - People who want big ass tires need to regear and plan out replacing any turds up front.

So that would leave me with a high-quality OME suspension (or similar) to get 1" up front and decent leaf pack in the back running around 33" tires with lots of sidewall. OBA, winch, front and rear bumpers, a few real skids, strong rock rails and some solid in-bed mounts for fuel and water.

Anything bigger or taller or whatever, and I'd be regearing and getting into money I'll never have anyway.

Clearwater Bill likes this.
  17. May 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    Smk8609

Smk8609 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 dcsb trd sport 4x4
    I can agree with the 6112/5160 combo - nice upgrade for the money, i don't feel bad beating on it (they have some serious heft to them) and i have 30K miles on them and the ride hasn't deteriorated at all.

oscolivar1 likes this.
  18. May 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado, Africa, Europe, Asia, Middle-East,
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    All good points and I wanted ot try to keep my post as simple as possible without covering all the variables. That said, how far as anyone pushed a King shock before it failed? Like I said my King shocks will likely last just as long or longer than a Bilstein BUT, why take the risk when I have the capability to rebuild. With Bilstein, you have no choice so you can keep pushing until failure. Where the line is for each, I dont know.

Like oil changes the recommendation will vary and changes on a regular basis. The recommended time to replace shocks is often 50k, is that absolute no, just like changing your oil at 10k is not absolute. That being said, what's cheaper? Replacing shocks every 50k or rebuilding them? I can push my oil change to 20k, should I? probably not. I cna push my shocks to 90k, should I? Probably not.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    hiPSI likes this.
  19. May 16, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    RevivalOL

RevivalOL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Berkley, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    But if you maintain your shocks, you don’t have an excuse to get something new and shiny every 50-75k miles. :cheers:

JoeCOVA and oldirtywalker like this.
  20. May 16, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    TheoNVtaco

TheoNVtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2016 black DC TRD OR manual
    3" lift with total chaos UCA King coil over bypass in front King bypass shocks in rear All pro expedition leaf springs Extended break lines 4ARE Z series shell Prinsu Roof rack on cab an shell Truck vault drawer system (waterproof) Relentless fabrication custom front bumper Relentless rear high clearance bumper with swing out tire career. Relentless sliders Baja design pro fog lights Scs custom 16" wheels 5 discovery stt pro 33" tires
    I have TC upper control arms, king coil overs in front, king shocks in rear, and expedition 3” springs. All came in around $3800... did same lift to my girls truck with an add a leaf in rear and it was $2900. Both ride amazing. Highly recommend it

Products Discussed in

To Top