1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0301 Code - #1 Cylinder Missing - Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by WestEnd, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    WestEnd

WestEnd [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    I'm stuck! I've got a 98 Taco with the 2.7L and 5-speed.

About two weeks ago I noticed a leak on my garage floor and thought it was residue left from my oil change. I took it to the car wash and power washed the engine bay to clean it up. When I restarted it, the truck ran rough for about 15-20 seconds and then straightened up.

On Wednesday, I was driving home, and the motor began to miss when it was under load and flashed the MIL. I shut if off and started checking things. I restarted it and it was spewing white smoke from the exhaust.

The radiator was more than a half gallon short of being full. The passenger side of the block is wet, but not dripping.

The number one spark plug is fouled, but not wet at all. The other 3 look new.

Did a compression check and this is what I got. (assuming I did the test correctly).

The engine was warmed up for about 3 or 4 minutes, and charged the battery full. I held the throttle wide open and cranked the key twice for about half second each time. This is wht I got:
    1. 135 psi
    2. 147 psi
    3. 150 psi
    4. 149 psi
    The truck still warms up OK without overheating. (although I haven't let it run for that long either) and the heater blows warm.

When you look at the side of the block at the exhaust manifold, you can see moisture trying to seep out around the #1 exhaust port. the others are dry.

Do you think this is head gasket? Cracked head? Is it worth a new cylinder head, or should I start looking for a used motor?

Any and all advice appreciated!!

2. Nov 25, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Sounds like the head gasket...

3. Nov 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    how does the exhuast smell?

4. Nov 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    To me it could be two things on already said head gasket failure.

Other one could be a small crack in the head or block. only way to know for sure is to pull the head off and check it out. Have the head pressure tested by a machine shop.

You didnt say how many miles where on the engine. But if you do take the heads off and take it to a shop have them resurface everything for you and now is a good time to check and replace valve guides and seals if needed while your at it.

5. Nov 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    +1...I hope its not that bad though, for your sake.

6. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    WestEnd

WestEnd [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    OK, did a better compression test this time. Held the key for 4 or 5 revolutions on each cylinder:

#1 - 178 psi
    #2 - 165 psi
    #3 - 160 psi
    #4 - 155 psi

I know I don't have any ring issues with this test, but I expected #1 cylinder to be much lower with a bad head gasket??

7. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Im questioning #1 still with a high compression like that could be water going into the piston.

8. Nov 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Or fouling built up on the piston head...

9. Nov 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    pull the plugs, see if #1's smells like coolant. It will be pretty obvious when you pull it if you are getting coolant in the comb. chamber.

10. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    WestEnd

WestEnd [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    OK, no coolnt in the #1 hole. Spark plugs are in very good condition in all cylinders.

Starting to think this is related to ignition system somewhere.... coil pack, wires, etc...

Passed a leakdown test easily.

I may have a water pump leaking. so maybe two searate issues??

I think I'm smelling raw fuel out of the exhaust. Makes sense if #1 is misfiring.

11. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    WestEnd

WestEnd [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    OK Guys... Thanks a ton for your help! This was a good lesson in starting with the simplest stuff first.

I "assumed" all of my symptoms were related. I automatically assumed this was a head gasket because of the white smoke and the coolant leak and the miss all at the same time.

A friend of mine asked me if I had measured the resistance in the plug wires first. Of course I hadn't! That would be too simple!!

I measured them all and guess what??? The number one plug wire read 78K Ohms of resistance! The FSM says no more than 25K.

Put on a good set of NGK wires, and NGK OEM plugs and it runs better than ever!

I was ready to pull the motor and start tearing it down and spending a buttload of money along the way. This cost me less than $80!

Now I still have a pesky coolant leak from the water pump, and a newly discovered crack in the exhaust manifold, but other than that... We're "On the Road Again" !

Thanks Again!

Products Discussed in

To Top