1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0303 check engine light when cold.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by crainholio, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dec 14, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    crainholio

crainholio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Update: after sitting overnight, the gauge still showed just above 0.7 right where I left it last night with ambient temp still showing 19degF. I pumped it up to 0.9 and now over an hour later it's still at 0.9 bar so I'll call this a win. I'd usually pull the spark plugs and pressurize each cylinder while the cooling system pressure tester is in place, to see if 100psi in the cylinder pushes any pressure into the cooling system...but it's darn cold in the garage and the door won't close with the truck in there so not going to happen.

No solid conclusion as to what screwed the O2 sensor but I'm finding info that certain chemicals can contaminate the sensor's reference element and cause the symptoms I saw.

If the new sensor fails I'll resume troubleshooting. The truck runs the best it has since I bought it at 134K miles a few years ago, no telling how long that Coolant Temp Sensor had been failed but now that it's replaced the engine is happy.

Thanks again everybody for your help!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Dec 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    crainholio

Member:
    Huge help and it's greatly appreciated. I can't imagine spending all day turning wrenches, then coming home and telling other people how to turn wrenches...but I'm really glad you did!

3. Dec 17, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    crainholio

Member:
    Update: misfire returned, long term fuel trims again negative 12% or lower at idle, took it to another dealer this morning. Cyl 3 has 80psi compression, cyl 4 has 110psi, 1 & 2 are fine at 185+.

They pulled the valve cover (remarkably clean under there for 199K miles, yay synthetic oil) and valve lash is well within spec across the board. The mech scoped the bore on 3 & 4 and saw no scratches or damage, thinks stuck compression rings are likely.

Orders are to put it back together at this point...I'm not ready to pop for an engine teardown. Will try aerosol top engine cleaner (GM or Dodge) soak via the spark plug hole this weekend to see if a stuck ring might loosen up.

4. Dec 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    crainholio

Member:
    Update: it goes into the garage today. Leakdown tester showed cylinder 3 and 4 could only hold 20 and 24psi, respectively. Big hissing noise at the exhaust manifold, so burned exhaust valves are the likely culprit.

Next troubleshoot will begin with a compression test...I threw over $300 worth of parts at this between the injectors, plugs, and coolant temp sensor. Apart from a rough idle and vibration going up hills, it runs well despite the valve sealing problems.

5. Dec 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    offrdmania

offrdmania Taco Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    $300 isnt too bad, luckily once you have it figured out then you know everything else will be brand new

6. Dec 29, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    crainholio

Member:
    Update: both exhaust valves burned on cylinders 3 & 4. Head gasket was fine. Head is at the machine shop getting new seats as they're scored beyond re-grind, I popped for new valves as well. Should have it back Thurs or Fri.

7. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    crainholio

Member:
    Update: head is also cracked. Rebuilt head is on the way, old one goes back as a core and I'll stop by the shop on Monday to take a look at it.

8. Jan 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    trailbikerider

trailbikerider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I just picked up a 97 with a 3.4 and it's doing the same thing; when it's cold it misfires and runs poorly for the first couple seconds, then smooths out and runs fine. I also have the P0300, P0303 and P0304 codes popping up.

9. Jan 26, 2014 at 5:09 AM
    crainholio

Member:
    I guess I'll provide closure on my case...the rebuilt cylinder head fixed it. I inspected my factory head and it had small cracks radiating outward from the spark plug holes on cyls 3 & 4, plus cracks between the exhaust valves on 3. The exh valves on 3 & 4 were visibly burned.

Products Discussed in

To Top