1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

p0446 code, what do I check first?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Inverno4, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    TheMike515

TheMike515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    OME Coilovers and Dakar Leafs
    I'm having a similar problem P0440 and P0446, and i'm wondering if the Valve you are talking about is the one linked above that looks like dorman 911-601 or if you are referring to one of the things that is literally attached or molded into the top of the Charcoal Canister?

Ive checked all 3 of the VSV's i could find and they all worked... as far as I could tell

2. Apr 10, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    Inverno4

Inverno4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC Off-Road MT
    I called Dorman and the guy said the 911-601 would not work. There is a VSV that is on the right hand side of the canister (when looking towards the engine). It is attached with a clip and a screw. That is the one which was bad for me.

If you need a charcoal canister, I have one for cheap. It doesn't come with the VSV though.

3. Apr 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    truckgal

truckgal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julie
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma XtraCab PreRunner
    Hi my name is Julie… you guys are so lucky that you can fix your own trucks! If I could, I would. I went to smog my truck and it wouldn’t pass. Codes P0440, P0442, and P0446 are listed on my rejected test slip. I have been reading that I should try a new gas cap before moving on to other “fixes”… whatever those are???

Anyway, I just took a look at my gas cap. It is a manufactures cap, but it looks pretty old. I do click the cap when I buy gas, but there is not suction at all when I open the cap. Is there supposed to be suction or not? I am so worried that a garage is going to take advantage of me. I would appreciate it if someone would please help me by advising me on what steps to take in this process so I don’t get totally ripped off by a repair shop.

Right now my plan is to buy a new gas cap. Then I was thinking about asking a garage to reset the engine light and then try to pass smog? What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? What should I do if that doesn’t work? Usually I wouldn’t mind shelling out the dough, but I was recently laid off and money is really tight.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Welcome to TW Julie. First, if you get a new gas cap you can reset the light by disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery cable for a few minutes. That will clear the codes in the ECU (and your radio presets).

Below are the links for the codes you have described. Based on the codes you have either a bad VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve) or a bad vapor pressure sensor. There are 3 VSV's on your truck, two in the engine bay and one attached to the charcoal canister. The codes indicate it could be the EVAP VSV (V4 under the hood) or the Pressure Switching VSV (V12 on the charcoal canister).

See page 31 for V4 and V11, page 35 for V12 You can test both of these VSV's with battery voltage, meaning if you apply 12V DC from the battery to the prongs on the valve (black on one side, red on the other) you should hear it click. You can also blow through the valve to test it. If you can blow through it when the voltage is not applied, but you can't when there is voltage; the valve is working. NOTE: The air flow might be reversed as it depends on the valve.

5. Apr 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    truckgal

truckgal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julie
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma XtraCab PreRunner
    OH BEN! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You... ah, which one is the NEGATIVE battery cable? I remove it how... with my hands? Wrench? Use gloves?

6. Apr 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Negative cable is the BLACK one. You need a wrench to loosen the nut. I forget what size it is. Once the nut is loose you can pull the cable off the battery. Gloves would be good in case there is battery acid present.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7413512_disconnect-battery-terminal.html

7. Nov 22, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    Update for anyone finding this through a search.

The Dorman 911-601 DOES work. The hose ports are in a slightly different position but close enough. You don't even need to remove the old valve if it's a rusty mess like mine was - just bend it out of the way and zip tie the new one in position. I cut the bracket so i could remove the old valve for bench testing.

Products Discussed in

To Top