1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PA15-TOY install question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigmooze, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Jul 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Just a quick question. I'm currently in the middle of installing my PA15-TOY. My single CD stock head unit has four connector in the back. There are no open connectors. When looking at the back of the head unit, I'm thinkin I have to disconnect the existing connector and replace it with the harness from the PA15-TOY kit.

Is that correct?

I would try it, but I'm scared or damaging it if it's wrong :)

A quick response would be awesome, thanks.

2. Jul 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yes. You should have a harness that you plug into one of the spots on the rear of the HU, in whick the other OEM harness plugs into......I hope that makes sense....:)

3. Jul 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I'd be very interested in how it goes for U, how U like it when it's done. Take some pics as you go along and post em if U have a dig camera. Thanks

4. Jul 5, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    First off, thanks Chris for your speedy answer. I hooked up the iPod adapter to my head unit with no problems. I didn't think to take any pictures though, sorry about that George.

A few notes/comments about the this mod:

When you remove the a/c and fan control panel, make sure you do use a plastic spatula/putty knife as your prying tool. The plastic underneath the controls is super easy to scratch.

Also, place a decent rag over this plastic to avoid scraping it when you pull out the head unit. I only though about that after scraping it, because I was just resting the head unit on the gear shifter - obviously with no protection in place, it slipped and scraped the plastic some :(

I set the DIP switches on my PA15-TOY to "all on". This enables the aux input on the adapter, which I'm using for my Sirius satellite radio receiver.

Before installing the PA15, I was running the sat. radio through my aux in jack. I found that the volume using this method was much lower than the FM radio and my CD player. There's not much difference when you use the PA15 aux jacks. I have the volume of the Sirius receiver set to max, so I'll have to take wheat I get.

The volume from the iPod is also low compared to the FM radio. I will have to try and turn up the volume of my iPod, failig that I will try to "boost" the volume using iTunes for all my mp3's.

3. The install is very clean. I used some stick-on velcro to attach the PA15 to the air duct behind the head unit. for ease of removal in the future.

Not much else to note really, other than I am very happy with it. I ordered it through Crutchfield on Monday of last week, and it was waiting at my folks' place when I got here on Friday. Awesome service.

Any questions about the install, drop me a line.

5. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    I just did the install yesterday, it went pretty smooth.
    My only question is how do I get the song title and artist to display, I used the text button but nothing happened?

Denis

6. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    How low is the volume on the ipod comparing it with the auxiliary input of the radio?

7. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Double check your dip switches and then make sure you are in a play list (1-7- not 8). If it still doesn't work...Call them and confirm you have the right cable for your style/generation of iPod....if it still doesn't work- Ask for an exchange.

My wife has a Scion tC and it would not charge the iPod...If I moved the cable to my truck...it would not charge there. So one of the wires inside was broken...

8. Jul 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check the switches for the volume also. My Ipod plays just as loud as the radio, and CD's.

9. Jul 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5

It's not super quiet, but I can tell there's a difference based on the ability to hear the radio vs. the iPod/sat radio when driving with the windows down. I would estimate that, using the volume number scale, 63 (max) on the iPod is about 45-50 on the radio.

Chris, I wasn't aware of using the DIP switches to change the volume. I'll have to look into that. I'm also going to look into increasing the volume of my mp3 files.

Products Discussed in

To Top