1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pain Buying My First New Truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Aahzmos, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jan 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Aahzmos

Aahzmos [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy
    Hi All,

My first truck was a 91 Toyota pick up, I had it from 2002 to 2008, then I upgraded to a 92 Chevy Pick up. Now I am ready to buy a new vehicle and I have become very frustrated dealing with the salesmen at dealerships.

I want a 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed in White or Gray, preferably white with either version of the TRD Sport package that doesn't have nav. I have the loan paper work, down payment and am ready to buy.

I called the local dealer and asked if they have the truck I want, they said yes. When I got in the one I wanted was just sold and they tried to sell me a Pyrite Mica one or a white one without the sport package. I walked away, checked out all the local dealer web sites, none seem to be accurately display the dealers inventory and very few list the packages installed. Most dealers wont tell me what packages are installed and ask me to come in.

I am starting to feel like no dealer within the roughly 100 miles I have checked online or over the phone have the truck I want.

Did anyone run into a similar issue and have any tips? I am thinking all of the dealers sold the specific model I want and I just need to wait for the next shipment, but I can't seem to get any hard facts from dealers. They all try to bait and switch.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Jan 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Matte Black custom paint
    Car salesmen are difficult to deal with if you're not playing their game and it can get annoying and frustrating. They will say whatever they have to get you into their dealership. Your situation is very common and it's happened to me in the pass as well as many others.

If you're after a certain combination of features that's rare or popular, your best be might be to custom order your truck. You'll wait a while, but you will get your exact options, nothing more and nothing less.

Try to deal with the fleet manager or the internet sales manager. These guys make their quota by moving volumes whereas the regular sales guy have to maximize their paycheck with each deal that gets done.

Here's the key, get on the internet and locate 4-5 local dealerships. Email either the fleet manager or internet sames manager and tell them that you're ready to buy and list the options that you want. They will all scatter to ACTUALLY locate a truck with the options you want. If anyone of them comes back with what you like, forward that info and price to the remaining dealerships and see if they can beat it. You'll be surprise how easy it is to negotiate. Keep doing it until you get the lowest price possible AND THEN it's time to actually walk into a dealership to sign all the paperwork.

Btw, why not buy used and save thousands:confused:.

3. Jan 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    krazyk05

krazyk05 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Coppell, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB OFF ROAD
    I have experienced the same thing. Gave the dealer specifics of what I wanted and they tried to sell me what they had on thier lot. They were no help locating the truck I wanted. Go to the toyota website and build your truck. It will list the closet dealers and show you what they have in their current inventory and also the trucks that are available to them including ones that are shipping to that area soon. In the end I got an 09 that was exactly what I wanted and saved about $9,000.

4. Jan 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Good luck man I know how you feel! it took me 2 months of looking everyday to find the truck I wanted! I used craigslist a lot and just kept fishing thru all the pages until i found one I liked then made the call. Don't settle for something you don't want!

5. Jan 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    tombiosis

tombiosis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
    This!^^^
    and definitely consider a used one....there are trucks on here all the time that have been babied. Buying from a Tacoma enthusiast is the way to go IMO.

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    use Edmunds or something to email a bunch of dealerships. be EXACT.

somebody will email you back in seconds. you're in the OC..you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a toyota dealership. make that fact work for you.

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Don't waste your time walking into a dealership until the deal is basically done. They are highly trained in how to annoy the shit out of you once you're on-site. When you're sitting in the comfort of your home, they are frustrated but most of the time they'll work to get what you want so they can get you into their facility to do the deal.

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    :rofl:

9. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    Having a similar problem, can't find a reg cab 4x4 4 cyl 5spd, and the dealerships definition of invoice is not the same as mine. I've already pissed off a few salesman that way, which I enjoy. Car salesman are slimebags. My advice is the same as above definately stick to email and send lots of them until you find a dealership that will make the deal before you get to the lot. Signing should be the only thing you go there to do.

Don't get discouraged. You're the man holding the money, the dealer needs you, not the other way around.

10. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Aahzmos

Aahzmos [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I ended up emailing 5 dealerships, all of which I had already spoke to over the phone. I told them specifically what I wanted and if they don't have it, don't waste both our times.

I got two calls immediately, one had close to what I wanted. I was a little pissed again that I said don't call me unless you have it. The second call said they had it too, but then he had to call me back to confirm what packages it had... luckily he confirmed it had the PY package without the Nav. I told him I am on my way... They had just made a trade with Bakersfield for it.

Ended up paying 34,600 (Crazy CA sales tax) out the door. $200 higher than the quote from South Cost Toyota's internet department that would take 2 weeks and $500 higher than Toyota of Irvine's quote on the Pyrite Mica one that they have on the lot. Basically I paid $500 bucks for White, which blows, but in the grand scheme of things I got what I wanted and now I don't have to deal with those damn car salesmen anymore.

Anyway, extremely happy with my new White 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed Tacoma! Coming from my beat up 92 S-10, it's a new feeling walking out to the parking lot after work and thinking "Yes! That is my truck!"

11. Jan 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    alrighty!!

yea..dealerships get nervous when they see that you emailed a team of dealerships. makes them scramble.

12. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DoubleCab TRD
    Bull bar, nerf bars, bed extender, tonneu cover, bug deflector, wish list,....
    Congrats on the new truck!
    Now, what's the first mod?

13. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    lets see the new truck..

14. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Antonicus

Antonicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    SuperWhite 08 TRD OR AC
    AirRaid intake
    I got the one I wanted used last year. 2008 white AC 4x4 trd or. With only 19k miles. Argued down to 22,500. Couple thousand off sticker. I was very pleased. And Gratz:D

15. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 TRD Access Cab Auto V6
    BHLM, Satoshi Mod, Blacked out Emblems, Scangauge II, XM Radio
    Holy crap. $35K for a new Taco? That makes me want to baby my 06 even more. There is no way in the world I would ever pay that much for a new vehicle. My new car buying days appear to be over.

16. Jan 31, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Turboxer

Turboxer Future Storm Trooper

Member:
    weird... the local dealership (not metro city sized either) has 3 tacoma short bed double cab TRD OR's on the lot... and that's just what I want and only asked for. I am sure they have plenty of other optioned ones there too

17. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Aahzmos

Aahzmos [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy
    Picture attached.

First mod? Not sure yet.

I am considering a shell so I can put my dog in the back. I put a bedsheet over the back seats with her and I had to still vacuum the entire truck after. She is a yellow lab and when she sticks her head out the window her hair flies through the truck. I want to rig something in my garage to be able to take the shell off and get it to hang from the roof out of the way.

Other than that, any recommendations?

401112_10151211499115237_880580236_22442659_1654153158_n.jpg

18. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    4wd Boss

4wd Boss Shake and Bake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jefferson
    Big D
    Vehicle:
    07 4dr 4x4 V6
    Fog Light Mod
    more pics..... of the bike!!! nice truck too btw!

19. Feb 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    i have a german shepherd and constantly are on dirt roads and such, a good easy mod is husky liners! they might be pricey but they are well worth it! i spilled my dogs water container on the floor and just picked it up dumped it out and that was that! carpets were fine!

20. Feb 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Frankoo1234

Frankoo1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 05 Taco PreRunner
    Running boards, Tint
    congrats on the truck!

I have a husky.. hairyy motha f.. haha he used to ride in the truck but after the ride the truck would be full of hair.. i say right off the bat get a kennel or the shell and but them in the bed.. the kennel is very safe in my opinion strapped down they cant jump out they get a nice brezze of air and NO MESS on the inside.. PROTECT you truck as much as possible now that its new...

It will be more work when its dirty and stained then keeping it clean and nice from the get go..

have fun!! haha

To Top