1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint codes

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by LowlifeDC, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Sep 21, 2020 at 9:19 PM
    LowlifeDC

LowlifeDC [OP] Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Black Tacoma trd off road
    Getting there
    Is the 2017 black Tacoma the same paint code as a 2020 Tacoma? Recently came across a a hood that’s a 2020 appears to have more metallic in it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    I would think it would be the same, might look a bit different as it's newer and less damage from years of sun / element damage?

LowlifeDC[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 23, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    It may be the same paint code, but the formulation may be slightly different.

When I ordered my Leer bed cap, they needed to know the VIN number of my truck so they could contact Toyota and get the actual paint formula for my specific truck so it matched.

That may not be an issue for all paint colors. I'm told my color (Speedway Blue) is a difficult color to match.

LowlifeDC[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 23, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Now that being said.... I also ordered some color matched spray cans of paint on ebay using my paint code, and they matched perfectly.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I think they may have been blowing a little smoke up your skirt there. Toyota isn't going to give out the formulation, just the paint code. That's all a body shop needs to match your paint. (Well, that and a lot of expertise in how to correctly spray it.) The VIN does give them the paint code if they dig deep enough, but not the paint formulation. BTW, Speedway Blue - or any blue for that matter - are tough to match perfectly.

6. Sep 23, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    There were two black paint codes for 2017. Code 202 was for Black and Code 204 was for Metallic Black. In 2020, there was one black paint code: 218 Attitude Black Pearl.

MattiasdelTaco likes this.
  7. Sep 24, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Could be. Just passing along what I was told from Leer. And they actually don't need the VIN to get the paint ccode. It's printed right on the driver side door jamb plate.

Products Discussed in

To Top