1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

paint or decals?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by babweiner, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    babweiner

babweiner [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    spacer lift, dc black wheels, bfg tires, dvd, leer topper, debadged, warn nerf and bull bar, headlight black-out
    Okay, here's the deal, I have a black Tacoma sport. I like the look of the hood scoop but in the morning the sun glares off the damn thing, and in the evening the sun glares off the damn thing. I was thinking of either placing a flat black decal over the top portion of the hood or make it permanent and paint the thing. Problem #1 no one makes the decal I want. I found one site that makes a decal for non scooped hood, (crawlorado.com) and a member (sockmonkey) who makes a decal for just the scoop but I want to cover the entire raised portion of the hood. I think it would look better. Problem #2, I don't know the first thing about auto body painting. Should I pay the cash and have it professionally done, or do I risk botching it and rattle can it myself? If someone thinks it can be done at home and look good, and last, I would really like some pointers. I haven't taken a project like this on before and I'm not quite sure how to do it. Thanks for your opinion and assistance.

2. May 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '99 PreRunner
    OME 883' w/5100s, Toytec AAL, 265/75R16 Treadwright Guard Dog's, 16x8.5" Level 8 Strike 6 wheels, 14" Magnaflow, 4" Deck Plate Mod w/Screen, Grillcraft, etc. Check build thread in sig for more info...
  3. May 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Headlight mod, sound system. MB Motor Sport Rims. Black Tails. 5100's, 885, grill craft, Fogs, N-Fab Step Sides. BFG TKO Tires, Wet Oks, LED map lights and dome, LED gauge mod
    Why not trade someone with a normal hood and ask for some extra money. its a win win.

4. May 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I have read about others putting a vinyl warp over the top before using this stuff both on tacomas & 4 runners.
    3M Vinyl Wrap

5. May 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    babweiner

babweiner [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    spacer lift, dc black wheels, bfg tires, dvd, leer topper, debadged, warn nerf and bull bar, headlight black-out
    RMAN, thanks for the advice, that plastidip looks pretty legit. I think I will go with that. It looks the easiest and I believe it will last as long as any other method I employ.

To Top