1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

paint peeling off above grill

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KingMoo, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    KingMoo

KingMoo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    -LIFT: 5100 bilsteins all around (set at 0.85 in front) eibach coils 2" AAL -D-RINGS -BED COVER rollaway
    I was pressure washing the truck a few days ago and I like to get it pretty good in the front where bugs stick. But this time some the the paint started peeling off. I can't be sure if the pressure washer was 100% at fault or if there was an existing rock chip ding there to begin with.

do I just need get some touch up paint and not spray very hard there in the future?

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    you have a 2011. so it was most likely the pressure washer. if it didnt take paint off, just clearcoat, i would go get it professionally re-sprayed and dont EVER pressure wash your paint. if you have to use a pressure washer, use the most gentle tip attachment and dont spray right up on the truck. step back a few feet. you are better off with a good old fashioned sponge and soap method

3. Sep 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    If you have a 2011 and the paint peeled, pressure washer or not, take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. My truck is a 2002 and I pressure wash it all the time and the paint has never peeled, except under the wheel wells where I work it real good and there a lot of chip marks from stones where the pressure washer can grab a hold of the paint to peel it. I am actually going to spray bedliner in the wheel wells this weekend, but that's besides the point. I say take it back to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty.

4. Sep 23, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    Detective_Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    it depends on if his paint warranty is still good. they dont last very long. my xrunner had a body kit piece that was a shade darker than the rest of the truck and it was only 2 months after i bought it. i had to fight with them for almost a month to prove that it hasnt been in an accident and wasnt re-sprayed so that they would cover it. they ended up covering it but it took a while to convince them

5. Sep 23, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I agree, it will probably be a fight, but for a truck that new that the OP would probably want to keep for a while, I think it is worth a try. If the paint is peeling now after a few months, what will it look like in 5 years from now? I don't think it should be peeling, as I said in my first post, pressure washer or not. It should be a warranty item (the dealer will have to prove that it was pressure washed beyond normal means if they don't want to fix it). OP can't loose anything by trying, but if he does not try to fix it now he will regret it down the road.

6. Sep 23, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    Detective_Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    i agree with you 100%, but if i was the OP, i wouldnt count on them covering it. OP, if i was you, take it to the dealer and DO NOT tell them it is from pressure washing it. they will pull some BS and say your at fault and they will not cover it. just say it started peeling on its own

Products Discussed in

To Top