1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint protection advice (wax and sealer)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by NMTrailRider, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Feb 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I put some 845 on last fall but I heard recently on AG that the DG105 was really good stuff. I was ready for a refresher. So a couple weeks ago I tried it, along with the bonding agent. The salt just crushed it in about two weeks. I have no doubt 845 would have lasted longer.

2. Mar 4, 2016 at 8:56 AM
    Mz_TazComa

Mz_TazComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 D-Cab TRD Sport LB
    Picked up my new '16 Barcelona Red Trd Sport DC about 2 weeks ago. Washed, polished and waxed for the first time last weekend. I used Maguires #7 and #26. The shine is amazing! Will look into the seal...thx for the info.

What sux is that I already had a little nick/chip on the lower passenger door when I first got it and also noticed a chip on the tailgate. When I washed it also noticed the swirls already (I hate swirls!!!)

3. Mar 4, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    What is your wash process?

4. Mar 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM
    Mz_TazComa

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 D-Cab TRD Sport LB
    I just did a wash, polish, wax. We got snow today so I wanted to get a coat of wax on there.

5. Mar 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    What I meant was what do you use to wash. Do you wash by hand? What do you use to wash? You are probably introducing the swirls to the paint.

6. Mar 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM
    Mz_TazComa

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 D-Cab TRD Sport LB
    the swirls were there before I even got a chance to wash it...most likely from the dealer when they prep it. any good tips for getting the swirls out?

7. Mar 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Machine. I tried by hand on my 2014 and didn't put a dent in that swirls. So I picked up a Griots Garage 6" DA. Haven't used it yet.

8. Mar 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    I've heard that Meguiars White Wax is good for light defect removal with a DA.

9. Mar 8, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    Blazingbluesport

Blazingbluesport Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC!
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab.
    Any opinions on the Eagle One "ultimate prep mitt" instead of clay?

10. Mar 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD O/R
  11. Mar 9, 2016 at 8:39 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Can anyone elaborate on the differences between a sealer and a wax?

12. Mar 9, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    "Wax" in the true sense of the word is a natural substance (ex. Carnauba, derived from a plant). A paint sealer (sometimes referred to as "synthetic wax") is a synthetic substance meant to mimic the effects of a wax. But in most (all?) cases today, synthetic waxes (sealers) are easier to apply and remove, and have better longevity. So, for most people (and most daily drivers), paint sealers are a better choice.

Where natural waxes win is in looks. Waxes have a nice warm glow, whereas sealers look bright, glassy, candy-like. For some people it's a preference of appearance.

It gets tricky with something like "Meguires Ultimate Wax". It's actually not a wax. It's a sealer (100% synthetic polymer sealer). Meguires knows that 9/10 people will actually prefer a sealer due to ease of use and longevity. But they also know that most people don't know what a sealer is. People just know they want to "wax" their vehicle. So, Meguires gives them a sealer and calls it a wax. Make sense?

Also- most of the products on the shelf now days are primarily synthetic in nature. Many have a very small natural wax component, but for the most part they are sealers (NXT, for example).

In summary- sealers are easier to apply and remove- and they typically last longer. Waxes "look better", although that is arguable. On my pyrite mica Tacoma, I actually like the glassy bright look of Duragloss 111 or Ultimate Liquid over the look of a wax (ex Megs gold glass or collinite).

In the true sense of the words, "wax" is a natural product, "sealer" is a synthetic product. Many on the shelf products contain both natural and synthetic components.

Any more questions I'm happy to help.

13. Mar 9, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    If sealers and waxes are technically the same in terms of overall function, why, in your first post, do you prefer to use both?
    Do they last longer this way or is it a means to get the benefits of both?

I'm getting ready to do my first real detail on my Tacoma. So trying to get a game plan together as well as an understanding for what I'm doing. In the past I have always paid people gobs of money to do this for me rather than do it myself (I just purchased my very first microfiber towels ever, and up until like now I didn't realize that you shouldn't use Dial to wash a car lol).
    I want this truck to last as long as possible and look as good as possible.

Also want to throw out, I have a white 2013 TRD Sport, when the sun hits it just right I can see a bagillion swirl marks from the prior owner. Should I make the effort to remove these before my first detail?
    Is there a cheap way to do this myself or is it best just to pay someone to do it. I do not own a buffer nor do I likely trust myself to use one lol.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  14. Mar 9, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    The reason people use both is to get the protection/longevity of a sealer with the appearance of their favorite wax. I've changed my tune on my procedure. I think the solvents in a top coat of some waxes may compromise the sealer that was laid down first. So, I quit topping my sealers with wax. And instead, I do two coats of sealer. Not because "More is better", but rather to ensure an even application of the sealer (avoids the appearance of streaks).

As far as swirls go, you're barely gonna put a dent in them by hand. Meguires "White Wax" does have a substantial amount of cut for an all in one, but you really need a machine to make it produce. I guess you could try it. But if anything, it's probably just going to mask the swirls with a hand application.

Assuming machine isn't an option, if I were you, I'd clay it, followed by an (optional) pre-wax cleaner (or polish), and then apply two coats of a good sealer. I think Duragloss 111 (+601 bonding agent) would look really good on white. It's inexpensive stuff on Amazon.

Megs Ultimate Liquid is nice too. The Collinite waxes are also good options (hybrid synthetic/natural).

15. Mar 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    You can totally do it yourself. Worth a shot, anyway. For $50 you can get a Meguires or Mothers clay kit, a bottle of polish, and a bottle of sealer. May as well attempt it before throwing down $300 minimum for a pro job. Today's synthetic waxes/sealers have a lot of gloss.

16. Mar 9, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    A wax should not have a solvent in it. Glazes typically have solvents.

17. Mar 9, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Well, whatever carrier is in the wax- it's gotta be compromising a sealer. Just a hunch. I think naphtha is a common carrier (or cleaner?) used in waxes. Waxes are full of petroleum distillates.

Long story short- some people like to put wax over their sealer. I used to do it. I don't anymore because I think it may decrease overall longevity. I am more comfortable with two coats of sealer vs a coat of each.

18. Mar 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    16TacomaSport

16TacomaSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camaro SS 1LE 6spd
    here is how Carpro Hydro2 beads. I stopped using waxes years ago. Sonax Polymer net shield, coatings and things like Hydro2 are far superior in the hydrophobics and durability
    JON_7047_zpsnufiw3go_f809fbeae3ed028bb24f027754dfbb3388e58dcd.jpg
    JON_7046_zpsdm0v05qg_de93820c175251bdd5ad2c262aa476d2f5404567.jpg

19. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Awesome. Yeah, I'm a convert too. I just did Duragloss 111 plus the 601 bonding agent and the gloss/shine is insane! I've been curious about the Sonax PNS. Heard its good stuff.

20. Mar 10, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Is the hydro the stuff you spray on and just rinse off with water? Hard for me to believe that's enough to to make it stick! But clearly, it works.

Products Discussed in

To Top