1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint protection advice (wax and sealer)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by NMTrailRider, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Jun 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    YDCtaco

YDCtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4-Auto
    What does everyone recommend as far as machine polishers and waxers

2. Jun 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    As far as machine polishers either a Flex 3401 or Rupes Bigfoot. For waxes, I always apply by hand. No benefit to using a machine

YDCtaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    The ones Ace mentioned are very nice machines but are costly. If you've got the $$ get one. The Rupes Duetto is nice too. And the Griots Boss polishers are getting good reviews.

But for someone who is just gonna polish his own vehicles a couple times a year, I really like the Griots Garage 6" polisher fitted with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. You can also get their 3" HD backing plate and use 3-4" pads for more intricate areas. It's got more power than you'll ever need for doing personal automotive detailing. Autogeek sells it with a 25 foot cord (very handy) for an extra $15. The whole set up plus a few pads can be had for under $225.

Those other polishers you'd be looking at nearly $400+ all said and done. If you're really into detailing and you like nice stuff, do it right the first time. But for occasional Polishing and Waxing/Sealing, the GG6 is a great machine and will serve you well. Professional detailers even use it-- Griots also offers a lifetime warranty and has great customer service.

4. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    The Porter Cable is an entry level machine. It's a little workhorse but not as powerful as the Griots 6" (GG6). The Porter Cable is also cheaper than the GG6. IMO the increase in cost is a small price to pay between these two machines, considering how much more correcting power the GG6 has. The Porter can correct, but it'll take you longer to do the same job.

Here are some notes regarding the GG6 and PC:
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/110909-porter-vs-griot-s.html

A note on the Rupes machines-- their polishers are meant to be used as a system with their pads and polishes. There's a bit of a learning curve with them but they're smooth like a Cadillac. If you want to use other brands of pads/polishes, you will have some experimentation ahead.

With all other polishers, you can take your pick of any of the pads and polishes available.

I highly recommend the GG6 to "weekend detailers" for working on their own vehicles and maybe a side job here and there.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  5. Jun 22, 2017 at 5:52 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Uh, except for it's easier, faster, and you use less product.

6. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    There is no benefit to using a machine to apply wax. Yes, you can cover big panels but you still have to go back by hand and get other areas. Plus you will use more product giving the size of the machine pad. Ever had polish build up on a pad?

7. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Erry Day. I use too much product when I use my machine but I'm learning to back off. I no longer wax but I seal via machine. Would take all day by hand. Plus its an excuse to use a power tool.

8. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    If it takes all day to wax or seal then use a different product. Too many products out there that are easy on and easy off. I can put layer of wax on my truck in under 30 minutes with Collinite, Wolfgang, or Adams.

NMTrailRider[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    saratogajoe

saratogajoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Porter cable works great for me

10. Jul 7, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    I've recently tried a few new products.

Finish Kare 1000p High Temp Paste Wax. It's a 100% polymer sealer. Great stuff. Some describe it as a "second layer of clear coat". It's got great self-cleaning abilities. Hose off the truck and it's practically clean again. Super bright and glassy. Slick too.

Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. It's more of a spray wax than a detail spray. It's got some staying power and definitely leaves something behind that makes water bead incredibly well. BUT... it's not slick. It leaves paint feeling grabby on a towel. The beading and self-cleaning makes up for this aspect IMO.

Blackfire Crystal Seal. It's a WOWA sealant (wipe on walk away). It's unbelievably easy to apply. And NO removal. It's a polymer sealer that you spritz one or two spritzes per panel, spread with a little microfiber applicator, and you're done. It flashes really quickly. When your done, take a dry towel and buff off any high spots or streaks. You can seal a vehicle in like 10 minutes tops. And it lasts 2-4 months at least. Great stuff.

McKee's 360 AIO. An all in one Polish and Sealant with incredible durability. 6 months? Possibly. Great correction of minor swirls and leaves paint bright and glossy (if applied with a DA). And SUPER easy to use. You apply with DA until it disappears, then give a light wipe with a towel and you're done.

stbear and CusterFan like this.
  11. Jul 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    saratogajoe

saratogajoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    I swear by astroshield for machine use for a basic polish and swirl removal by my trusty porter cable.

As far as wax I bounce between Collinite, Groits Best of show and Castle trophy wax my personal favorite.

Products Discussed in

To Top