1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint question on shaving a tailgate.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by IDtrucks, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Im going to be shaving my tailgate soon. I was wondering if i will have any issues with the tailgate not matching the rest of the truck when its painted. It is a factory color, so it shouldnt be hard to match. But the truck is a 99, so when i repaint it will it look different due to the fading of the rest of the paint? If not are there any other concerns i should look out for?

2. Nov 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Colour matching is always an issue when Butt matching (2 adjacent panels, one freshly painted, one not). Fact is, over time, paint changes colour. Clear fades, and oxidizes, while single-stage colours (no metallic/pearl) can oxidize like MAD, and look like s**t!

If you're just doing your gate, you're in good shape. Not much butt-matching going on back there. Plus, it looks like your truck is black. Black is one of the best colours for matching, not many variants in solid black colours, and even with variants, it still looks OK. So I wouldn't worry too much.

You'll likely need to polish up your box-ends just to match up the fresh clear on the box, but hey, we all need a good excuse to polish our rigs every now and then. :)

3. Nov 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Is it Black Sand Pearle if so how or who is painting it?

I would not rattle can the gate, because that will not hold up, if it is pearle be carefull of how the matalic lays down so its not striped.

4. Nov 14, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    my truck isnt black, its "imperial jade mica" Or a fancy way for Toyota to say dark metalic green (its a stock factory color). I will defanitly not be rattle canning it. I have access to a full body shop and full spray booth. So i can mix paint to make it match.

5. Nov 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Shops now have scanners so they can mix up paint to match the paint that's on the truck, including taking fading into account. If you use your factory paint code there could be a slight variation depending on how faded the paint is. Sometimes it can be drastic and you'll notice, in other cases you'd never know the difference. If you have access to paint the color of the truck do a test chip and hold it next to the truck to see if it's the same.

Products Discussed in

To Top