1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting base model grille...EPIC FAIL.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jul 31, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    KevMc

KevMc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC LB
    Satoshi with Hella 500FF's Readylift N-Fab Rear Runner w/ Westin lights TRD Seat Covers
    Does that partsgeek stuff fit good?

2. Jul 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    beaver_scott

beaver_scott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    renton, wa
    Vehicle:
    2015 inferno trd pro
    vent shades, tinted windows, clear bra, pop n lock tail gate lock, anytime fog light mod.
    i just got a parts geek tacoma grille for about 30 bucks and paint from automotivepaint.com. the grille comes in two pieces so no masking is required to paint. just run dish soap and water on the part to be painted to clean. sand with 600 grit. clean with water and tack rag. spray 2 coats of plastic adhesion promoter. prime. paint. clearcoat. 1500 wet sand to smooth it out. buff with rubbing compound to bring back dull shine. buff with polish for brilliant shine. the hardest part is waiting enough time between coats 5-10min and waiting enough time between primer/ paint/ and clear coat...which is 30 min minimum and then wait a day before the 1500 wet sand. don't paint in the sun but it should be 70-100 degrees with minimal humididty. once your done you mate the two pieces of the grille together and melt the tabs with a solder iron to lock them in place.

3. Jul 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I'm not going to go through and read all the posts, but a few tips.

Extremely light coats... they dry much quicker. You don't want a thick coat that doesn't get a chance to flash off, and then add another coat on top of it.

After you paint it, don't touch it for days. Anything rattle can (despite what the directions say) seems to take days to cure. If you're out in the super hot sun then it might cure within a day or two. Mine sat for a week before I finally put it on. Its just not worth the risk.

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    Tacomamedicman13

Tacomamedicman13 FVFAC 13 RESCUE SQUAD 8 CHESTERTOWN 6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fallston
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 RED Crew Cab
    <1 % tint, shorty antenna, gps,xm,rader, whelen light bar, chest box in bed, led 3rd break light, DOT red/ white tape down the side makes her stand out when clearing an intersection at night or parked on the side of the road, front skid plate and ex tip
    something you might want to try is bed liner it, it will look crisp i know it sounds crazy but thats the thing to do easy to do i bough a can of it at walmart for 8 bucks and some sand paper and wash it off put about 2 coats on and let it try it will stick great and dry even. i bed lined my emblim in the grill and the caps on the rims but taped off the silver part it looks nice

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    Krewblink

Krewblink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    05 toyo Prerunner
    Exhaust,Seat Covers, Intake
    Use a spray gun. :)

6. Aug 5, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I want to colour-match, not paint is black. I'd just use Plasti-dip on it if I wanted it black.

Products Discussed in

To Top