1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

painting help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mcdufws, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mar 4, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    mcdufws

mcdufws [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    two tone seat covers, Husky liners, 20% tint front windows, bilstein 5100's front, 18x9 XD monsters w/ 275/65 Wrangler Duratracs, sockmonkey decals, in channel visors, black bull bar w/ hella 500's. Custom head ache rack, black tail lights, painted grill, mesh grillcraft w/ "TOYOTA". BHLM to come....
    I've seen one or two threads about line x on bumpers and painting front grill surround, but does anyone have any detailed info for prep on the chrome bumper and grill for paint? Anyone done any body work or painted over chrome?

2. Mar 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    im trying to find this out myself. have you gotten any feedback in PM's ?

3. Mar 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
  4. Mar 6, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    here is a write up i did a while back on prep and bedlining chrome bumpers.............

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...e-bumpers-via-bedliner-material-write-up.html

for painting the grille surround..................take the grill off, wash really well with dawn dish soap and a scotchbrite pad. after drying.......you can go over the grille lightly with some sand paper..........and you want probably a medium to fine paper for this. then....wipe with acetone or laquer thinner. spray a few coats of adhesion promoter on...........3 or 4 minutes between coats, then,after that dries, do about 5 or 6 coats of your paint of choice. duplicolor and rustoleum are good choices.

5. Mar 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i did my grill surround,just cleaned with soapy water,sprayed it down with a can of break cleaner and painted.took real well.just blasted with 3000psi washer (not real close) and held up good.good luck.oh yea just did my stock wheels tonight also.same procedure but i did some light sanding after the soapy part.rustolum rattle can.later:D

6. Mar 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    Dude, I like the painted exhaust tip! Looks sweet, I'm going to give that try (I hate chrome!)

7. Mar 6, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thanks man....but im gonna tell ya ahead of time......it will not stay nice and shiny. right now.........the paint is definitely baked onto the piping, but its really dull, almost a step past flat black.:D but........it still looks good to me. later on, im gonna clean it really good, rub down with scotchbrite pad, and put a few more coats on it it may keep a little more of a shine to it since the initial coating is already well baked on.

To Top