1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Pole-VOTE

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by BenJammn5, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Shroud and Shield painting

Poll closed Nov 12, 2011.
  1. Paint reflector shield black, leave Gatling Gun shroud

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Paint everything black.

35 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. Don't paint, leave chrome.

20 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. Oct 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Yes sir.

2. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    I used JB weld. I made sure that my alighnment was spot on first then I let the JB weld set up for a little while so it wasnt as runny. I know it has been said before but just take your time. I think it took me about two months to complet mine working on them on and off.

3. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    I'd say keep it chrome - but if you don't like the look, or if you have too much crap showing behind the shroud then paint it

Personally, I like the look of OEM - and frown away from the black... 08PRELB makes me think twice about the chrome:

4. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    :confused:
    painting pole...
    :laugh:

5. Oct 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    When driving down the road, do you notice any shaking/light flicker?
    You know you love it bro :D

lol this is taking forever, already been about a month just ordering parts, testing the wires, cutting, searching, thinking, thinking again and again hahah

6. Oct 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ

There is slight flicker on the driver side lamp..... I didnt think about the fact that I used silicone..... maybe ill cut it off and go the JB route.... It bothers me beyond belief.

7. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    AH ha! hmm that was my thought as well. Silicone will let the projector shake, or at least that's the theory. Totally understand, it would bother me like crazy too.

8. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Well looks like you have helped me as well!..... now i gotta get them apart and re-do it with the JB weld...... its the SLIGHTEST wiggle too..... ugh.. it really drives me nuts... now i gotta do it ALL over again... lame lol.

9. Oct 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ^ May the force be with you.

out of 47 people, only 11 prefer the chrome shield. 11???? That's it?? Can't be right, when I browse the web half of you all have stock shields w/ retro projectors. What kind of people are voting... REVEAL YOURSELVES :)

10. Oct 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    lol. it will always be a mystery.... Im still pissed that you have figured out what the cause of my misfortune is..... :mad:

Time to rip em apart again.

11. Oct 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    Yes bro, I'm sorry but I had to ask about silicone. I was surfing HIDP and came across a thread where a guy used silicone and his projectors shook. Honestly I would prefer to go that route since it isn't permanent, but from what I've read (quite extensive at this point) it's best to apply JB kwik followed by JB weld. I picked up JB kwik the other day at AutoZone for $5.99

The guys at HIDP refer to themselves like ricers refer to racers, they are in a whole subculture termed 'retrofitters' (news to me), epoxy and JB weld to retrofitters is like duck tape to ricers and plastidip to tacoma world.

12. Oct 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    adammikolon

adammikolon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Doylestown, PA
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner 3.4L V6
    K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit, JBA cat-back exhaust
    lololol my fender flares and grille surround are all plasti-dipped :D haters gonna hate I guess. But I'll be the first to admit it probably wasn't a great idea.

ANYWAY...I say leave it all chrome at first, or if you really want the shroud black paint it, but it would be easier to paint it later than to realize in the future you wish you didn't paint it

13. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ^It's cool Adam, plastidip is not a sin :)

14. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    octacorunner

octacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB
    t|x pro rims, trd exhaust painted flat black, retrofit hids on oem smoked headlights, weathertech digifits, interior & exterior LEDs, console vault, 20% tint (need to install: eyelids, lower grillcraft, satoshi by homer)
    i have the gatling gun on the oem smoked headlights...now i wish i woulda BHLMd with black reflector bowl and chrome shroud

15. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Damn I was going to black out the bowl n all......by now after swing the chrome....you guys got me thinking :typing:

16. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Some nice eye candy up in here.......

17. Oct 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    You can still BHLM the bezel w/ a retrofit.
    I think i'm going to leave it chrome at this point

Most definitely
    IMG_1435_e16ce65163d6168668bba5aa9e9685b16f6cf31f.jpgHere's a mock version of what I'm doing. The lights aren't sealed here, just the lens covering. I'm still aiming these things... almost done.
    IMG_1434_96381af8edf4da52cd56dd1b4ccecffc87e6c208.jpg
    IMG_1436_53aa63eafdc445b797d18777803cf61313596bd4.jpg

18. Oct 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    That is some nice work.....they look great!

But I would have personally gone with the ORBIT shroud because I didn't like the fact that the GG doesn't completely cover the FX-R projector. But then again the GG are sexy as hell!

19. Oct 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ^thanks John.

Yea, I've been trimming the shrouds to get them as close as possible.

20. Oct 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Forgot to mention that the ORBIT shrouds fit like a glove......:D

Products Discussed in

To Top