1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Satoshi Grill

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bobo_1, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Oct 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Not sure which section to post this to.

I want to paint my satoshi grill one color once I am done with it. What do I do about the seam where the two pieces come together - see attached picture?
    Untitled.jpg

I have some serious nicks and gouges on my grill so I will be applying primer, basecoat, and clear to it all. But, that seam is so close together the primer, basecoat, and clear are going to fill it in. And since the two pieces are not bonded together and will move I am concerned the paint will crack at that seam.

Any thoughts? What have others done? Did you tape the two off and shoot them seperately - seems like a pain.

2. Oct 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The chrome piece (or color matched piece) comes apart. I'll try to find the thread the guy made who did it. But it can be done so you can paint them separately. I think you have to clip the tabs, or heat them up and pull the front piece off, then melt them back together when you're done.

Your only other option is to tape it off. If you're worried about the joint, just be very careful with your taping and run a razor blade down the seam when it's all cured. This should keep it from cracking uncontrollably, you'd basically be putting in your own control joint.

3. Oct 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Thanks. I think I won't be able to get them apart now. When I did the fiber glass, the resin was not that tacky (I think because of the outside temps) and it did accumulate at the bottom where a couple of those tabs are at.

I thought about just bonding the two peices together and then just filling that space in and making it smooth. Not sure how that would look.

Products Discussed in

To Top