1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting the frame???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blackwatertaco, May 18, 2010.

1. May 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco [OP] If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Well today I was under my truck greasin my U joints, Well it came to my attn. that my frame has some rusty spots, Not real bad tho. It's just a lil surface rust. My LCA's have it the worst.

So my question is, Have any of ya'll painted your frame with like a rattle can?? Will it work? Or am I just pissing in the wind.:rolleyes:

2. May 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    I've hit a few spots with flat black rustoleum and it's done the trick for the last couple months. That was only light surface rust though. There are plenty of threads on here about it but I'd just sand off the rust and put some rustoleum type paint on it or if you want to go all out use POR 15.

3. May 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    MXRACR39X

MXRACR39X NooB

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, Fabtech 6", 35's. More to come; CO's, Alcan Leaf's,
    I did the same thing with the Rustoleum. A little touch up sanding on the rust spots and a couple coats to protect the Yota from these salt infested Utah winters.

4. May 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I just done the same, I bought a wire wheel from Harbor Frieght, 4.00 hooked it to my drill, and took it down to metal in those areas, and sprayed as much as the frame as possible. I just used Rustoleum I didnt think it was bad enough for POR.

5. May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    Ranger2

Ranger2 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Florida (Oviedo)
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner Pyrite Mica
    One Day. Just bought it 2 weeks ago with 5773 miles on it. Now have 41000+ miles and going strong.
    Here's a link to a company I've used before. Depending on how bad the rust is, how in-depth of a job you want to do, etc., you'll find what you need here: www.eastwood.com. Of course, everything that all the others have said, also work.

6. May 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Yeah...has been talked about much already, and everything up above is very good advice.

If I see rust no matter if It's surface or other, I like to sand it down all the way to the metal. And use a sanding disc, usually use my Dremel tool.
    Then clean the surface with Rubbing alcohol or windex is fine too. And wipe off remaining residue with a clean cloth.
    I use Rustoleum chassis paint and spray one coat and wait 15 min., then after 15 min I spray again doing another coat. This will allow a very good paint bond and will last a long time.

Products Discussed in

To Top