1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting truck box?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by The tacoman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Feb 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    The tacoman

The tacoman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD
    Has anyone ever tried painting a truck box? I have found the style i like, but it only comes in the silver box. I want a black one and am considering painting it. It is diamond plated aluminum. Has anyone ever tried this before, and if so what did you do to keep the paint from peeling?

2. May 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    joshy523

joshy523 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Grey Metallic Off Road
    all around bilstens 5100 set on high, Satoshi grill, custom JL audio system, kenwood cd deck, Clifford alarm, weathertechs, custom light bar, k&n intake, super 40 flowmaster
    bump im interested on this too

3. May 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Powder coater can do it. They sand it to get the surface rough, and then just paint it. Not impossible, people just never do it.

4. May 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    ROCKSLINGER

ROCKSLINGER Zombie Response Team

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DBL CAB 6 SPEED
    Fox Coilover with reservoir, Fox Remote Rear reservoir, Wheeler's 3 pack AAL, Grillcraft Grille color matched, Rampage 50" LED Light Bar, Relentless 1/4" IFS-Mid and Transfer case Skids, Relentless High Clearance Rear Bumper, Kenwood 1800 watt Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor, Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech Floor Mats, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Flowmaster Delta 40, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Short Shifter, CST Black Leather W/Red Stich, On Board Air, Train Horns,
    Ive done it to mine there is a little write up in krookz build thread that helped me

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/50080-krookz-build-5.html

I did mine and so far so good. However I also painted the inside with textured paint and looks great. Only thing I can say is take your time dont rush it and dont slack on cleaning and scuffing other wise it wont hold.

Products Discussed in

To Top