1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paps Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by pAP, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Aug 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    I got my sliders from 4x innovations yesturday. These things are beefy.

I got all the welding pops off with a file, cleaned the metal with marine clean, etched it with prep and ready, put two coats of POR15 and two coats automotive single stage paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is how I installed it
    -take out the bottom cross member bolt
    -get the slider into place and put a tapered head bolt into the hole of the cross member bolt.
    -put a side bolt in near the most rear side bolt hole that needs to be drilled
    -mark the rear side plate hole with a center punch
    -unbolt everything and take the slider down to drill the rear hole
    -put the slider back into place the same way as earlier
    -put all the side bolts in tight to snug the plates to the frame.
    -mark the bottom tapered bolt holes with a center punch
    -drill all the holes
    -I painted the holes I just drilled with por15 so they don't rust
    -loosen all the side bolts and bolt the bottom bolts nice and tight
    -go ahead and tighten all the side bolts

The only bolt (on each slider) I wasn't able to do was the tapered bottom bolt in the front. It's in the boxed out section of the frame and there is no way to get your arm back there and get a nut on that tapered head bolt. I suspect that holes need to be drilled and tapped. there really needs to be a bolt in this position. I hope to hear from Adam tomorrow.

The plates matted perfectly to all the holes and bolts on the frame. No modification required at all!

[​IMG]

2. Aug 11, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    huh? is this shown in your thread somewhere?

3. Aug 12, 2011 at 3:32 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    I am stoked about next friday! I wish the bolt was in that spot. Mine is about 6" more to the front of the truck. I love to know the human with arms that long. :/

4. Aug 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Not yet. I am trying it first to be sure they don't move before I post. I am doing another one this weekend, so I will do a how to about it.

5. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    But you just stretched the boot out a little and hose clamped it or is it more complicated than that?

6. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Hahaha :D

Very easy,
    -remove clamp from axle
    -slide the boot end down the shaft 3/4". Try to slide it once as the grease will get under the boot if you keep moving it back an forth.
    -reclamp with cv clamp. I got the factory ones. They are narrower and don't have sharp edges like regular screw clamps.

Here it is after I slid it down. Look at that fin clearance with 3" lift!

Another thing: I put some RTV sealant on the shaft before I slid the boot down thinking it might help the boot stick. Who knows. Working so far

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313159542.637493.jpg

7. Aug 12, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    You are also going to need a pair of cv boot crimpers if you use a cv boot clamp.

Here it is

Edit: really bad grammar

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313160453.097100.jpg

8. Aug 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    :eek:Man.... I will be extra careful the next time I post with Tapatalk... my spell checker really botched crap up, up above. Had to surgically get into those post and correct them. How embarrassing.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. Aug 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    hahaha nice! but do you know anything about what that does to whats protected by that boot? how much lift is enough to destroy the cv's? I like the idea but IDK if its bound to cause problems down the road.

how much difference do you guys have from driver side to passenger side? I tried leveling the truck tonight, the passenger side coilover is all the way out, and the driver side is threaded down like 1 1/2 "

10. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Thats a good question. IDT anyone has a definitive answer answer to that. I wont go more than 3" on mine.

To level my truck, There is only 1/4" difference on the collar from pass to driver side. The CV boot fins on the pass side were touching pretty bad while the drivers side were barely touching. I think that when they put these CV's together, the boots are placed in different positions. My 09 with the exact same lift, did not have any CV rib rubbing issues at all.

11. Aug 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
  12. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    09taco4x4

09taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Valant cold air intake kit Borla catback exhaust 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Walker Evans 2.5's w/ TSB spring and add-a-leaf Light racing upper a-arms 285/70/R17 Dynapro ATM tires 17x9 XD wheels
    pAP,

I received my Walker Evans two days ago and installed them. They are some really good shocks! Once the spanner wrench arrives I will adjust shocks according to your info.

Thanks for all the info!!

WE Shocks.jpg

13. Aug 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    ^
    I adjusted the ds 1/4" at a time, and took it for a drive in-between adjustments. Seemed like things changed everytime but eventually it was same as ps. Then a couple days later I measured again and ds was 1/2" higher than ps so I lowered it down some. Probably needs to go down more but I wanted to start small and see what it ends up at. Definitely planning to make sure it's good before driving out to RC. If it wasn't at the dealer i would've already straightened it out

14. Aug 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    O yea I forgot you were kayaking when I posted about it...

Took the shop to Dave to get my ss brake lines installed and alignment last Saturday. Couldn't align it because.......... Lca cam is seized.

Dealer thinks it just needs to be soaked over night and they are supposed to call me today to tell me what's going on. If they end up needing new lca and shit they better get it done by friday

15. Aug 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Awesome! You will really love them once they are set up. Perfect for the street and woods.

This too^^

I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up. The boots were rubbing real bad before so, this is a real improvement from where I was. I dropped the truck down to 2.5" lift and still had fin rub on the passenger side before i moved the boot... :eek:

16. Aug 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I hope this crap with your truck gets worked out before friday!

17. Aug 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Yea me too!!

18. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Had an amazing time at RC this past weekend with the new truck. High centers are limited and very rare k-turns required with the shorter wheel base.

Here are some pics. More to come.

IMG_1907_c21c65823b37c046a1f8b6357b70ba7bb63f3f31.jpg
    100_0277_c5578dfbc2856bae890e931f7d5647bad18db383.jpg
    100_0259_84d03e3c04a04b54a70f50d83f907ee478b57e1d.jpg

19. Sep 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    that first pic is awesome with the front pass tire up on that rock...

20. Sep 2, 2011 at 3:15 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    That is a good one. Need to dig up more pics of that trip. I still have to get a pic of me on top of that big rock in the comp course... That's the bugger that got to me with the long bed. :sad:

Products Discussed in

To Top