1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paranoid?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by LilTuffGirl, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    So I've been working as a police officer (well a glorified ride along..)for about 2 months... and today I got my first feeling like someone was trying to get me lol I half way feel paranoid.

My "partner" wanted to look for a new case for his phone so we went to the Sprint store. We were in there a while when this typical looking dirt bag (yes profiling.. bite me) walks up close to me - on my gun side. I only have a .. well maybe stage 2 holster. Little finger button and then the "retention" holding my gun in.. so I always have it covered with my arm.
    So I move away from dude.. it didn't work he comes again. I turn around so at least he's not on my gun side - he then walks around the display so he's on my gun side again. It was like I couldn't get him away from me or my gun side!!
    Thankfully we left before he could get any closer. He went back to the front of the store when we did so.

:mad:

Do I really think dude was trying to get to my gun? Not really... but it was still a thought in my head that I just didn't like. The guy i'm riding with just shot and killed a guy a few months ago so I felt like I had good backup! hah BUT i'd be highly.. highly pissed if someone attempted to touch my weapon!

Should I get use to that little voice inside my head that feels uneasy about these things? Maybe I would have felt better if I had my gun belt on with the very cool puzzle like holster on lol

2. Apr 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    maybe he just likes a gal in uniform..... :D

3. Apr 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    Ripcord

Ripcord 4Runner guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Albuquerque (Corrales), New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner 4x4 Sport Ed.
    Nothing wrong with being aware of any and all possible threats. Something could happen when you least expect it, so always be expecting it like you were. Would you rather be paranoid or caught off guard?

I say good for you for being alert!

4. Apr 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    The question is not whether or not you are being paranoid. The question is whether or not you are being paranoid enough.

Women tend to have a sense of intuition about people around them that I have learned to trust in my wife. Trust your instincts.

You might also consider being proactive. "Sir. Your continued movement to place yourself on my gun side is making me very nervous. Would you like to give me some space or should I just shoot you now and get it over with?"

5. Apr 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    better paranoid than dead...

6. Apr 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Tacoma DCSB
    None, yet

I probably would have confronted him after your second avoidance. Some small talk with him or just the "Can I help you?" will usually deter them or at least throw em off their game.

Youre not paranoid, it is just instinct. I cant even have people walk in my "blind spots" or tap me on the shoulder. Rather be safe than sorry. At the end of the day, I know I am going home.

7. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    Glad Im not crazy then :)

I've held off on talking much since I've been told a few times my role is to listen and learn. The other guy I'm going to the academy with talks a lot... They all say he's going to get in trouble a lot at the academy and possibly on the road (he use to work at the jail so he already knows a good amount of these people).
    I rather not be talked about and just stay quiet.

Although if we were in there much longer I would have let him know I was aware of him being there and focus my attention on him while giving him the look of a pissed off woman :)

Also I know the "wow it's a woman cop" and this wasn't it. I get that look A LOT! I'm starting to get better at ignoring it. Oddly it's the women who actually stair and make me feel a tad odd lol

8. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Is it possible you were being "tested"?:notsure:

I've done stuff like that with my step-daughter when she showed an interest in shooting. I used to walk all around her with her Daisy Red Ryder to make sure she stayed aware of where her gun was pointed.

Anyhow, I believe in trusting your instincts! Stay safe!:D

9. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    medusa1066

medusa1066 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport
    I am not a LEO, but that type of awareness is a necessity if you are carrying. Good Luck!

10. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    qckslvr2234

qckslvr2234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    5100's at 2.5, taco lean spacer, Wheelers 3 leaf aal, sway bar relocate, Nitto terra grapplers 285/70/17, spidertrax, custom fishing rod holder, afe drop in filter, 15% tint on front 35% on back, access original roll up cover, BHLM, LED's in cupholder, Plasti-dip badges
    I have been on the road for five years now and this is something that happens to us all. Like stated earlier I would not clasify it as paranoid but instinct. Even when I am off duty I am constantly watching people and everything going on. It is just something that comes with the job. Its what we are trained to do.

Took a little for my wife to get use to me watching everything but she understands.

Good luck on your training and be safe out there.

11. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    those little imaginary antennas that picked him up in your head...thats what's going to keep you alive

12. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    alot of gun enthusiasts will wonder what kind of gun you carry and stare at it in attempt to see. however, good to be aware of your gun side. even when i'm not at work I constantly move away from people to create distance and always stand with my gun side away from people. just habit. good job. Always size people up cause they are sizing you up.

13. Apr 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    ^^^Weaver stance^^^

14. Apr 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Glocking Tall

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
    This is what I was thinking, he was looking at your gun. You have been trained to always be mindful of your gun side, I never even carry anything in my gun hand. It's just habit. BUT you are a law officer, in uniform, ask the guy what he's gawking at or tell him to back off. If it made you uncomfortable or put an antenna up, something isn't right. Let him complain that you were rude to him, you can explain why. BTW do they give you the option to use whatever holster you want? If so spring for a level III.

15. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    ftttu

ftttu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    Texas Desert
    Vehicle:
    No-mod Tacoma
    Not saying that this was happening but as you may know, convicts regularly practice disarming techniques in prison. I was at the range yesterday for night qualification and the range officer, a former Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy-full of war stories told me that there was a case where this bad guy walked up to one of two officers with the intent of shooting them both with one of the officer's weapons. He trained to karate chop at the weapon and then quickly remove it from the holster before the officer reacts. This genius karate chopped at one of the officer's right side as his training called for with his right hand but.....the officer just happened to be left handed.
    As you have been told, every call you will go to is a "man with a gun call" because you carry a gun so always know that guns are game-changers.

16. May 20, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    Never ever ignore that little voice or whatever your gut tells you... I will take paranoid and over protective instincts over death any day. Good job on staying alert, too many of us are caught off guard and end up paying the ultimate price. FYI I will not go out in uniform without my level III holster and my noisy cricket on my leg.

17. May 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...

I LOVE the Noisy Cricket!!!:D

To Top