1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking Brake Bell Crank / Cables

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pray4surf, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Oct 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    pray4surf

pray4surf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner conv to 4x4
    F&R suspension, OBA, Custom bed rack, RTT, rear frame plates, 4x4 conversion from prerunner, many other
    I was looking at my rear brakes along with watching one of @Timmah! video Drum Brake Shoe Replacement in his video at about 4:20 he discusses the bellcrank adjustment (briefly).
    On my truck, the space between adjust bolt and backing plate should be 0.4 - 0.8mm.
    With the way my parking brake cable is routed over my leafs, this spacing between adjustment bolt and backing plate is greater than 1".
    I have 8 leafs and retained the overload leaf. But this is causing the parking brake cables to ride over and against the top leaf and has resulted in pulling the bellcrank out of adjustment. Waaay out of adjustment...

Short of removing leafs/overload, 'thinning' down the leaf pack, what are my options?

2. Oct 16, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    How does the parking brake work??

Some have made bell crank extensions

Pictures would be great

3. Oct 16, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    pray4surf

pray4surf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner conv to 4x4
    F&R suspension, OBA, Custom bed rack, RTT, rear frame plates, 4x4 conversion from prerunner, many other
    @Wyoming09 Parking brake works much better now that I've fiddled with it yesterday. It had been holding, just exceeding the number of 'clicks'... I've gotten the number of clicks down to the suggested 7-9 and the pedal engages much earlier... Timmah! had mentioned that the proper setup and operation of the bellcrank would ensure the brakes auto-adjust as necessary. I do use the parking brake religiously...
    I've been looking for bellcrank extension threads without much luck...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top