1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking Brake Cable

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DFDFirefighter, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    DFDFirefighter

DFDFirefighter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Sport Longbed
    Snugtop Rebel topper, Bedrug, Yakima roof rack
    Searched the site but couldn't find anything about this problem.

After getting my brakes done (though, of course, they claim this is completely unrelated) I noticed that the parking brake wasn't engaging and I would roll if in drive or reverse, even w/ the ebrake lever fully depressed.

After this I noticed that there was an oscillating squeak coming from the rear at low speeds and sometimes when braking. After driving on the highway, I noticed a hot brake smell from the rear. Also seemed to feel more resistance than usual when I took my foot off the accelerator and coasted.

Took it back to the shop and they said that the ebrake cable is stretched and they aren't fully disengaging when I take the brake off. They quoted me $400 to replace. I can't help but think this is an easy enough fix to do myself.

Anyone had this problem before? Was this an accurate diagnosis? Any experience tightening or replacing the ebrake cable?

2. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Sounsd like a likely cause. But I would definitely argue that it was their fault. If you have to, take it to another (reputable) shop, and see if they can confirm your suspicions.

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport longbed
    weathertech visors,remote start,lojack, ARE z type topper, wet okole seat covers, pop n lock tailgate lock
    id have someone else look at it too. a stretched cable has nothing to do with disengagement the springs on the cable do. sounds more like something isnt put back together right to me. did it not seem funny to you that it didnt work after the brake repairs??

4. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I call BS. A stretched cable would not fully engage, but would fully release. It also wouldn't happen overnight.
    Sounds more to me like they f'd up the brake install, and don't want to own up to it. Tell them to get in there and fix it. The parking brake worked before you took it in for brakes, right?

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    DFDFirefighter

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Sport Longbed
    Ya, I agree, thanks guys for the input. I called them out on it, but of course they'll deny any wrongdoing. Luckily I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for the floormat/accelerator recall and I'll have them look at it while it's in there.

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    Tookie

Tookie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port Vincent, LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport
    If you paid for the repair with a credit card, call the cc company
    and dispute the charge...that will out pressure on them to fix it
    right if they want to get paid. If you paid cash, BBB..... Keep
    the receipt from the original repairs,
    and have the dealer write down (with pics, if possible)
    what they find wrong. Then off to small claims court.
    But the credit card, if used, will be the easiest way.

7. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Tell you what they did they adjusted the brakes with a hanging brake cable and the shoes are off the pin they need to fully return or they'll drag. If it's stretched it will be slack not tight. I don't doubt the cable might be bad but it's only because it's not returning.

8. Mar 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    DFDFirefighter

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Sport Longbed
    Dealership confirmed the cable wasn't stretched. The retards just didn't adjust the brakes properly. And there was much rejoicing.

To Top