1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

parking brake help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by takern, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    My parking brake has needed some adjusting for a while now and i think not doing it has caused a problem. yesterday while sitting backwards on a boat ramp i had to crank down on it all the way real hard to get it to hold the truck in position. when i got back i unloaded the boat and i could smell very slight brake pad smell. so i rolled up a hill, stopped, and let off the brake and it had to break free of the parking brake. you could feel it in the truck. The smell is only coming from the passenger side rear tire. will simply re-tightening the e-brake allow it to pull it loose? The only solution i can come up with is that there is not enough tension on the cable to completely disengage it. My normal braking is fine. it nice and firm and i dont have to push down on it very far and my fluid levels are normal.

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    it seemed that tightening the ebrake worked. i stopped on a hill and let off the brake and did not feel it have to break free of anything this time

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    DFDFirefighter

DFDFirefighter Active Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Sport Longbed
    Snugtop Rebel topper, Bedrug, Yakima roof rack
    I'm having the exact same issue. Got my brakes done and then noticed that the ebrake wasn't engaging if I was still in drive or reverse. Then I noticed some squeaking at low speed, hot brake smell after driving on the highway, and felt resistance if I let my foot off the accelerator. I brought it back to the shop and they said the parking brake cable was stretched and they weren't disengaging all the way. Tried to quote me $400 to take care of it but I can't help but think it's an easy enough fix.

Did you find any threads on here that addressed this? Or have any pics of what you did?

4. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    A stretched cable will not engage the rear brakes completely, it will still disengage completely.

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Try hand adjusting the star wheel inside the drum.

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
  7. Mar 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    Tacomang

Tacomang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    Trd Taco
    Just try re-adjusting the cable first, it's super easy. May need a new cable(I had a similar problem in my T100 and it needed a new one). I feel like adjusting it will fix the problem. Good luck..

Products Discussed in

To Top