1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking brake lever problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by unitedairforce1, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    unitedairforce1

unitedairforce1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Connecticut, USA
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Ext. Cab
    American Racing Rims
    Alright, so basically, i went to pull my parking brake out the other day, it ratcheted the first few inches, i heard a clunking sound, and then it pulled out all the way. I was fiddling with it the next day, and it pulled all the way out of the dashboard. Any of you had a similar problem? My friend's dad owned a taco before and he said it did this all the time. How does one fix this?
    The picture attached is the tube the lever slides into. I can't seem to slide it back in

IMG_4463.jpg

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    unitedairforce1

unitedairforce1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Connecticut, USA
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Ext. Cab
    American Racing Rims
    It won't go back in that's the thing. I figured it might go in a bit then twist and slide in almost like a key, but that didn't work. His dad is out of town for a bit, I'll ask him when he gets back if i don't find the answer before hand

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    99yodataco

99yodataco Little Taco that could

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    New Mexico, it's just a little bit fresher.
    Vehicle:
    99 taco 2.7l SAS
    Dana 44 front and some other useless things.
    Happened to me twice. Both times my E-brake cable broke. Second time was because the screw that holds the handle in broke when I replaced the cable the first time.. It has two little "latches" that catch on all the little teeth on the handle. If you can pull them out toward you and reach under where the latches hinge at, there should be little tabs on top you can hold on to so you can slide the handle back in. Tabs should be on top of the little box on top of the tube in your pic. Or if you don't want to do it while it's under the dash you could unbolt the tube and do it that way.

To Top