1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking Brake Question...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10toy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    10toy

10toy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Hey guys...I am on my 3rd toyota truck and know from my '90 & '93 that it is good to use the parking brake consistently to keep the brakes adjusted properly.

I just bought a 2010 and was wondering if this is still the case?

Also, any of you in cold climates ever have trouble with parking brake freezing up in the winter?

New to New England...

Thanks!

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I know the pre-2005 Tacomas adjusted the rear brake shoes evertime you pulled the E brake. I think I read somewhere however that the 2005+ Tacomas no longer do this?

As for seizing in cold weather - if mild temps are present with the forecast predicting a cold snap, I usually play it safe as don't use the E brake. I got caught once a few years ago and have been reluctant to use the E bark in such cases ever since. During the dead of winter with consistant temps however no problem.

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    TheProphet

TheProphet Active Member

Member:
    Canada,Quebec
    Vehicle:
    trd
    westin pull bar/off-road light Bf goodrich All-terrains for winter with oem mag wheels moto metal 16*9 / hankook dynapro MT for summer 2500k nokya hyper yellow narva h4 headlight diff breather mod inverter 400w mod l.e.d for the cab 4*4 illuminated switch mod l.e.d bed light mod
    Hi, I always use my parking brake....and no problem in the Quebec winter!!

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I live in Ontario, Canada. I often have issue with my parking brake sticking. I have brought it to the dealer twice for this, and they say there is nothing wrong.
    I can often smell it sticking in the winter and usually either one wheel or the other is hot once I get into work.
    I am in the habit of always using it, but this winter I'm going to try and remeber not to.

Shawn

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    always use the parking brake. Kinda of the use it or lose it. if your in a climate like buffalo, snow and salt, sooner or later you may have problems. but if you dont use it, you cables will seize up easily from not being cycled.

6. Oct 12, 2009 at 11:02 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    Here in Colorado, we live in really high altitute with cold weather . No problem at all with my 2010 Tacoma E brakes.

7. Oct 13, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Hey Vermont, welcome to New England, if your going to use you e-brake do it all the time to keep it working well. My well respected mechanic told me that all of the e-brake cables and such are exposed and subject to getting wet and the resulting rust, his thoughts were to lube the cables a couple of times a year to keep them in shape.
    I use my parking brake all the time and never had a problem with the brake sticking in winter....don't know if you have a auto or not but if you do, you should be good just using "Park" unless parking on a very steep hill.
    You also might want to lube up your spare tire cable really good also, so if you need it it will work good. You might also want to turn your spare tire so that the valve stem is easily accessible , I had a sensor light issue, indicating a low tire, none were low, and it was the spare that set things off..... I dropped the tire and it was 18lbs of air in it. So while it was down I lubed the cable and mechanism well before turning the tire over to get the stem facing down.... just a thought.

Jeff, 06, V6, SR5, 6spd.

Products Discussed in

To Top