1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking break dash light keeps turning on

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Redgrom, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Hello, quick question. My parking break light just recently randomly starting turning on. It is not the abs break light so I think it may just be a bad connection? The light goes off when I release the brake but will randomly turn on while driving. Lightly tapping the parking break peddle has remedied the problem. Any idea what to check?
    Thanks

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I have heard in other models that a randomly illuminating Brake light means the car is sensing low brake fluid levels. Does it tend to happen as you accelerate from a stop or take corners??

(I don't know-I'm just guessing...Anyone else that can confirm??)

3. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    checked the fluid, looks fine. I think it is totally random, it happened on the freeway yesterday than again while in traffic. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    Code:

check the actual lever, mine occasionally comes loose and trips the light

5. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    WATRD

WATRD Keyser Soze

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Duvall, WA
    Vehicle:
    '01 Supercharged SAS
    Check out my site, it's mostly up to date and there's too much to list here.
    Fill up the fluid. Yes, I know it looks full already. *Really* fill it up and the light will go away.

This is quite possibly the single biggest problem reposted on some forums...

6. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Did a search before I posted, the results I found were for gen 1, thanks for the replies though. A off question how many miles are most of u getting on your break pads? I have not checked the pads in a few months but last time I looked they had a lot of pad left.

7. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I changed my fronts for the first time around 48K miles. I'm now at 88K and the second set have a lot left on them. It's just going to vary with your driving conditions. Some will change them earlier, some a lot later.

8. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Nikwanchoo

Nikwanchoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    my 2003 gen1 would do that when i needed new brake pads / alignment.

9. Mar 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help, going to take a good look at the pads tonight.

10. Apr 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Update, after filling the fluid to the max line the issue has not returned. It was closer to the full line the the low line but per the advice here I filled it to the top. Also pulled the wheels and inspected the pads and the seam to have 1/3 or so of the pad left. When it's time to change them anybody think it's worth it to get slotted rotors?
    Thanks for the help, I would have never guessed it needed fluid.

11. Apr 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Just what is a parking "break"... ?

12. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    Isn't the parking break mechanical and not brake fluid operated?

13. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That doesn't mean the light can't mean more than 1 thing...

14. Apr 1, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Generally if the fluid is low, pads or shoes are due to be replaced, or there is a leak. Topping it up seems like a Band-Aid to me....

15. Apr 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Thats what I thought so I pulled the wheels and checked the pads and pistons, still pretty good amount of pad left ( compared to a new set )and no leaks I could find. I will make sure to keep a eye out just incase though.

To Top